Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePavement
Stephen Malkmus

Worried About Casing
    #1624192 - 06/10/03 06:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't have a pic, I know it sucks. I cased two BRF cakes using verm/coir+ and a bottom layer of vermiculite. I put them back to colonize, patched the really aggressive first myc patches and then once there was an even colonization, cold shocked for 5 hours and started giving the case around 4 hours of light each day. I was sure everything was going fine and it would start pinning soon. I have all these nice little fluffly balls of mycellium that look like rashes and fuzzy strands coming off of those. The casing has begun pulling away from the sides. Everything looks so perfect and frosty, I thought this casing was going to do well. But besides it getting whiter, and roppier, and fuzzier (yet at the same time, not really growing anymore), nothing is happening. Nothing resembeling Pins. I was hoping to have something for sunday's camping trip...What can I do - when will be the latest time for drastic measures (like another cold shock) but still being able to harvest on sunday. The strain is B+ (or EQ - and there is a slight possibility it was one B+ and one EQ cake). RH is at 93 and temp is at 80.

--------------------
"Over the turnstile and out in the classroom there ways of living and this is the way I'm living right or wrong" - Range Life - Pavement

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Worried About Casing [Re: Pavement]
    #1624257 - 06/10/03 07:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

<slight possibility it was one B+ and one EQ cake
would those be crumbled together or half one side half other side ???

--------------------

OfflinePavement
Stephen Malkmus

Re: Worried About Casing [Re: FallenShroom]
    #1624428 - 06/10/03 08:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

2 cakes. I had 6 jars. 3 were B+ 3 were EQ. Lost lables, kept grouped together so two adjacent jars horizontally, should be same strain. So it should be B+, but its possible its EQ, and then slight possibility, that the jar order was really messed up and its 1 cake of each strain crumbled together into a 2 cake casing, but I dont think that is the case as the mycellium looks very healthy (aside from the lack of noticable pinnage).

--------------------
"Over the turnstile and out in the classroom there ways of living and this is the way I'm living right or wrong" - Range Life - Pavement

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
    #1624449 - 06/10/03 09:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm going through the same thing myself. I think the only thing you and i can do is wait bro...

--------------------

OfflinePavement
Stephen Malkmus

Re: Worried About Casing [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #1624457 - 06/10/03 09:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, my stomach drops every morning when I wake up and check on them and see no signifcant pinnage. But eh, such is life. You raise kids and they always dissappoint you.

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1624753 - 06/10/03 10:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, make sure the humidity is high, and give it time. It already sounds perfect, just wait. Its poking up through the casing layer getting ready to pin, and eating up the substrate. You have a healthy case.

One thing to do is make sure that casing layer is moist but not dripping wet.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflinePavement
Stephen Malkmus

Re: Worried About Casing [Re: ATWAR]
    #1625269 - 06/11/03 01:05 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've decided that I've got some spots of overlay on my casing and I've failed to initiate pinning. So my extreme measure is I'm going to give it 6-9 hours of light sitting on an ice tray. The ice tray will give it a good cold shock for the melting hours of the ice, and then simply not being in the incubator will give it a 10 degree lowering for the rest. I am using a pretty sterile cabinet for this. Hopefully, I will see pins in the morning. The only thing I am worried about is the lack of humidity in the cabinet. But I thought maybe I would myst it every 2-3 hours lightly. Also, I am going to birth the casing because it has begun to really pull away from the sides and maybe I can get some pins off those sides. Anyway, I am going to be up late tonight, so if you read this and feel like I am doing something wrong, even the slightest suggestion, please respond or PM me, I will check the board every 30 min or something.
Again
2 BRF Cakes
wet verm bottom
verm/coir+ casing
Possible overlay
Sunday Morning Deadline for harvestable fruits.

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1625594 - 06/11/03 04:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

give it light and air exchange; there is usually a few day stall right before its about to pin...
actually im pretty sure if you look hard enough,
you'll see hyphal knots forming about the size of a pin tip.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation