Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Aleon]
    #16046779 - 04/05/12 08:22 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Good stuff Aleon.

I used a casing on my first pioppino try.

I got fruits, but not many.  ...then again they were
side fruits and so I am also having to consider whether
my fruiting conditions are optimal.

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: Javadog]
    #16047068 - 04/05/12 10:08 AM (12 years, 13 days ago)

Awsome pics as usual Aleon. Thank you for your great insight on dunking. I think I'll try dunking a couple blocks and not dunking a couple and see if there is any difference for me.

Awsome Pioppino's! Those are top on my sporelist. they just look so cool.

--------------------

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #16074647 - 04/11/12 10:04 AM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Aloha Aleon.  I just wanted to stop in here and say thanx for the advice about Lionsmane being ready to fruit. The block is now doing great and fruiting in my Cave. If it weren't for your advice It'd still be in the incubator.

Thank you for the advice! You ROCK! :rockman:

--------------------

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #16079211 - 04/12/12 08:44 AM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Glad i could help; when you harvest them try eating them in my favorite LM dish: Lions Mane "Crab" Cakes. Ill never make a crab cake with real crab ever again!

http://www.lotusgrowingtech.com/Recipes.html

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

#16080224 - 04/12/12 12:54 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Thats and the scampi sound great! It'd be awsome if you added some pics of those recipes. YUM!  I'm thinking of making vegan Crab salad sub sandwiches from them. Substitute the crab for Lions Mane in the salad, and top herb's frenchbread with it, and add lettuce, black olives, green peppers, onions and pickled jalepeno's.  That was my all-time favorite subway sub in the past....real fake crab that is. lol

I bet it'd be much better with Lions Mane!

--------------------

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: shroomsynergy] * 1
    #16216174 - 05/11/12 05:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I just wanted to put in a quick update.  Growing mushrooms by laying the bags on their side and putting 1 or 2 X's on the top is really a space efficient way to grow. So far the king oyster and pioppino have not responded well to the growing through the X's method, so i have been opening the top of the bag for those, but still maintaining the tight spacing. I am slowing down my oyster production and growing more king oyster, pioppino, and shiitake; enjoy the pics.

Also i just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members here who have helped to create an online community which builds and stores more than enough free data to get growing fungi no matter what the situation is.  I can honestly say... i couldnt have done it without you shroomery. 

--------------------

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#16222133 - 05/12/12 10:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Aleon are you growing on supplemented sawdust? Those are some great results and i have been using your spacing and stacking tek now for about a month. I have only been using pasteurizes sawdust alone and only on about 25% of my spawn as the rest goes to straw. Also do you ever have to change over to warmer weather species or does it stay cool enough in WA for greys year round? Or do you AC the grow room some how?

--------------------
Check out my youtube videos. the Mushrooms Naturally series by chefinainteasy

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

MY Garden:grin:

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'sconsin Flag
    #16222163 - 05/12/12 10:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Haha, you must have met my mother the other day at the farmers market. She mentioned the mushroom guy at the market.
:ahahaha: funny

Edited by shLong (05/12/12 10:59 PM)

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: shLong]
    #16228190 - 05/14/12 09:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

shlong - yeah it was probably my mushrooms at the market. Small world!

chef -  Yeah supplemented sawdust (%20 OG wheatbran, %6.66gypsum) incubated for 2-4 weeks.  Im going to start doing some side/side pasteurized/sterilized&supp sawdust experiments soon, mainly with shiitake. In in WI, not WA (west cost has too many hippies; id kill myself) IL and WI are filled with assholes, so i fit right in here.  Everything i grow has shown the ability to grow in a wide range of temps.  Quality and yield does suffer for oysters, kings, and some others though when its warmer.  My FC is underground/in my basement which helps give it a temp buffer, and i mix house air with outside air for FEA.  I run central AC for my whole house already,so the air from the duct is pretty cold cooling the air down a few degrees.  Most likely im going to buy a multi zone split AC for my FC, lab, and INC rooms in the next few weeks.  Id like to be able to hold temps ate 45-55 if possible as this is where the highest quality is at IMO.  Im also growing high CO2 varieties as well so there is much less FAE, and much more air recirculation through the air handling system, making cooling not really as expensive as a FC with <900PPM CO2.  IMO if you can afford it temperature control is soo nice; my hydro gardens and INC rooms are like this right now, its its so nice to just set the desired temp and walk away.  Unless your selling at RR's prices ($6/lb i beleive) then you can totally afford any environmental controls, AC, fans, etc.  Our operation is profitable enough that i just think of what makes the mushrooms grow best, not how much money its going to cost (though i rigorously search for the lowest prices still :cool:).  Our business model will always stay lucrative due to my ability to pump out lots of mushrooms, by myself, in very little time, and enjoying it the whole time. Having a market that pays what the mushrooms are actually worth, a premium of $8-12/lb, is also essential. And as i automate, it takes less and less time; but more expertise.  I dont care to make any $, i only want to recirculate money from my mushroom consumers to my mushroom farm and back to the people who eat the mushrooms.

--------------------

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#16228487 - 05/14/12 10:40 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So what piece of equipment is it you use in your hydro farm and inoc room? Is it just your central air you were talking about? I have a duct right next to the FC that it probably wouldn't be much to connect it some how to bring in cool air that way. Good idea since it runs all summer basically. I agree with just wanting to make the best conditions possible. I have a full time job and this is a hobby. But i like to strive for the best results. Im in St louis and we just had a good cold spell with temps in the 50-60 range at night. Been very good for the mushrooms. So i would like to try to get my room around these temps year round. It just seems that every portable AC unit i find online is also a dehumidifier which is obviously counter productive. I should talk to the guy at the hydro store, im sure there is something to keep grow rooms at around 65 for optimal water o2 holding and also a good humidity level. If you know of something let me know.

--------------------

My new business is now on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsNaturally?ref=hl

InvisibleGroboClone
Anthropomorphic Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: chefinainteasy]
    #16228577 - 05/14/12 11:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

To use an air conditioner place it in a pre-chamber that supplies air to your fruiting room.
All air conditioners will dehumidify the air so you have to add humidity before you pump it into the room.
It you were to place the AC directly in the room the combination of high humidity and low temp would freeze the coil solid.

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Re: Spacing of Lions Mane Sawdust Blocks [Re: GroboClone]
    #16234786 - 05/15/12 11:59 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Chef I just have a window AC for my hydroponics and portable AC for my Incubation room right now.  I would suggest connecting your house duct to your intake to buffer the outside air saving lots on heating or cooling, I highly suggest getting a CO2 meter like Grobo's, it will really help you dial things in with FAE and air flow patterns in the FC.  You could try water cooled "iceboxes" or radiators using a water chiller.  I keep going back and forth in my head on which to do, AC or water cooled w/ a chiller.  I'm guessing the chiller method doesn't have the dehumidifying issue, but I've just never tried it personally.  I will probably go with water cooled for the FC's and spilt AC for the lab and Inc rooms.  I'll post when I get that going.

Grobo- thanks for the advice

--------------------

Offlinechefinainteasy
Chef
Male User Gallery

#16236126 - 05/15/12 05:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I just got my 5 disc fogger in and set up in my tote. I have noticed that since the water in the tote is cool, ambient basement if not slightly cooler, it is actually helping condition the air. It has been in the 80 the last few days and the FC staid a good 10-15 F cooler and never registered anything higher than 68 F. We will see how effective this is during the summer. I guess i could rig up a water chiller for hydro purposes onto the water tank and keep it as cool as possible, basically creating a radiant cooling system with keeping the humidity. I will probably just insert a T fitting into the 6" AC duct right above the FC and run it into the FC also. My only concern with this is moisture and whatnot working its way up into the ducting. Not that it would be tremendous. Thoughts? ( Sorry to jack your thread BTW)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag