Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekneedragger
Cakes Drying Out During Sterilization
    #1622163 - 06/09/03 10:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My last two batches stalled - a sign of too little water. So this time, I put a bit more water in. However, before injecting the spores, I opened one up as a test and the substrate seemed fairly dry to me. I'm not sure if its supposed to be pretty much the same as when I made the jars, but it was substantially more dry.

#1 Does anyone have any tips for me for keeping them from drying out during the curing stage? I've been covering them with tinfoil whilst cooking them in regular pots on my stove (water 1/3 up the jar - 1 hour).

#2 Is there any proven method for rehydrating the substrate I've made? I think its risky to inject them with a little water and try to re-sterilize. I'm gonna wait for some people to confirm, and then I'm gonna probably just make some more cakes.

Damn....my stupidity is really starting to become a burden.

Thanks all...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Cakes Drying Out During Sterilization [Re: kneedragger]
    #1622228 - 06/09/03 11:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The cakes should not be wet or anything when you take them out from boiling. I assume these are BRF cakes. And what do you mean by stalled? Were you getting some colonization and then it stopped or did nothing ever show up. I thought that stalling can also be a sign of too little oxygen. My donkey boiled his first batch of BRF cakes for 3 hours and 20 minutes, and they colonized fine, so it sounds like either you have too ittle water to begin with or something else is messing up bad.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

InvisibleShroomJockey
Hoser

Loc: LunchLadyLand
Re: Cakes Drying Out During Sterilization [Re: kukusz]
    #1622256 - 06/09/03 11:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

As a procaution to drying out his cakes...my budgie puts a washcloth in the bottom of the pot he is boiling his BRF cakes in.... to disipate the hot spot on a burner.....every stove is different....so he does it just in case.....never has any problems with too little H2O.

--------------------

Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Cakes Drying Out During Sterilization [Re: ShroomJockey]
    #1622267 - 06/09/03 11:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Oh doing this is a must - otherwise there is direct heat transfer into the jar from the stove and that would definitely dry out if not crack the jar. Most boiling teks mention doing this so I assumed this was the case here.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation