Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Will this work as my substrate?
    #1621658 - 06/09/03 08:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey all, new here so I'm not sure if this question should be in advanced or 'non advanced' forum, I think it's somewhat experimental so I'll put it here and hope for the best!

I was wondering if this configuration of elements will lead to a faster growing mycelia (perhaps one that is more rhyzomorphic, as well).

First, I would get one gallon of water (distilled) and soak 2 bags of brown rice in them overnight. This to activate the spores. Next, I'd boil the water for about 30 minutes and filter it out. I'd put the enriched water into a stock pot and cover. The rice would be put back into a cooking pan and have more water added. I'd continue to repete these steps until the rice was nothing more than a mush, devoid of the majority of nutrients.

Next, I would add some sugar and honey (any sugggestions as to the amounts) into the enriched water and boil for 45 minutes. This would be the water that I would use when making my jars.

I would have a mixture of 1:1 (soaked) wild bird seed and brown rice (pulverized in a blender) to twice that amount of vermiculite. I was thinking that the addition of the enriched water (containing extra rice nutrients and sugars) would add nutritive value to the overall mixture. Any thoughts? would you modify it?

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Re: Will this work as my substrate? [Re: lysergic]
    #1621711 - 06/09/03 08:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I would not used "enriched" products or add any sugar. Nor would I try to wash out the nutrients. A mush has no structure so this might not be good either.
Nothing like doing an experiment though, try it :wink:

You sure this is advanced?

Anonymous

Post deleted by Papaver [Re: lysergic]
    #1621721 - 06/09/03 08:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: Will this work as my substrate? [Re: ]
    #1621829 - 06/09/03 09:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Search the forums, this has been tried/suggested many times.

A mushroom doesn't really need those extra nutrients. A little bit might be ok, but too much is more trouble then its worth. It invites contams. Let the mushroom do its job of breaking down the more complex organic tissue.

This would also have nothing to do with promoting rhizomorphic growth. Its just supplementing the substrate. Whichever type of mycellium was growing would take equal advantage of the extra nutrients.

However, like was suggested, nothing like an experiment! :-) Try doing some with and some without and note the differences. I do believe that a little extra oomph won't hurt, might even help, but too much may.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Will this work as my substrate? [Re: calicyco]
    #1622697 - 06/10/03 01:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You want a substrate to be airy, not a mush.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineNoFuture
RegressingForward

Loc: MA
Re: Will this work as my substrate? [Re: micro]
    #1623431 - 06/10/03 12:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if u want a better water to do your shit with..... save the water u pasturize your poo based substrate with and use that in your jars

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: Will this work as my substrate? [Re: NoFuture]
    #1623519 - 06/10/03 01:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

a friend used sterilized pond water and the wbs quart jars were colonized 100% in 11 days ( post )

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Will this work as my substrate? [Re: houshroom]
    #1623722 - 06/10/03 03:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Lysergic, it seems a LOT of trouble to go through with very little hints to any effects whatsoever. If you're bored and looking for something to do, it might help you, but I don't think it will make much of a difference in mycelium growth.

Also, rhyzomorphic mycelium growth seems to occur when the mycelium encounters spots of substrate that contain little water and nutrients, so it 'stretches' to healthier areas by rhyzomorphic growth. It's not something you're particularly interested in, it's just a colonization tactique of the mycelium. Anyway, by using the method you described, I think you would actually discourage rhyzomorphic growth. Not that that's a bad thing, but if it's what you're after, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology