Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
liquid inoculum with dried malt extract
    #2047054 - 10/27/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

When creating liquid inoculum by adding 1 tablespoon of Light Dried Malt Extract to 1 cup of boiling distilled water. Putting the jar in a pressure cooker at 15psi for 20 minutes. Letting it cool overnight and then injected spores. If done right how long do you need to wait before extracting and using? Should the liquid look brownish with small whitish powderish chuncks on the bottom? Any help would be great.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: MadHatR]
    #2047244 - 10/27/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know tablespoons and stuff, but you shouldn't have white crap on the bottom from malt extract. Probably just crap that got into the jar somehow.

Wait until you see growth, then wait till it stops. A week tops.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: micro]
    #2048723 - 10/27/03 09:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

How do you tell the difference between the fluffy pieces of mycelium that should be growing in it and contamination?

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinerasputinn
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: oregon Flag
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: MadHatR]
    #16084866 - 04/13/12 12:47 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i think I have the same problem you do, the seddiment is normal, breaking down of nutrients in malt, strain then re sterilize at least that is what ive read numorus places, yet i still get sediment in the end i belive you will always get it unless you cook all nutrients out and then there is nothing left for the shrooms. ive been having a hard time getting a deffinate answer on here as to a lc directions, some say 1 tble per cup others say 7 gr per 200 ml and id like to know if Agar agar goes in as well i supose the newbees have to just cross our fingures do a little homework take the clues they give us and go from there. so far ive had minamal sucsess with cakes and none with lc though im contam free in lablike conditions yet all the info i derived from this site has not proved worthwhile in forming a LC. perhaps ifi buy apple juice and inject my spores dirrectly into the bottle without sterilizing it i may have more luck. as you can see from someone telling you your seddiment in the jars were there to begin with aka, your fault. what you read should be taken with a grain of salt, personaly i never belive anything till i hear it from at least 5 seperate and unconected sources.

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

Loc: Deep South
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: rasputinn]
    #16211387 - 05/10/12 06:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have made several liquid culture's using potato broth & caro light syrup.

Get about 4-6 quart jars cleaned & put 2 small holes in the lids with silicone seal on one or I bought little black stickie resealable ports & covered the first hole with the stickie resealable port on the outside, the second hole I put the black stickie on the inside to keep my tvek & microspore filter dry that's on the outside, I also add a stir bar or marbles, cleaned rocks or something to agitate it with.  You'll find tek's on how to make the jars.

Scrub enough potatoes to fill a medium saucepan, leave the skins on & cut them into about quarter pieces, cover them with enough water where it's an inch or so above the potatoes & bring it to a slow boil until they're done but not so done they fall apart when you stick a fork in them, drain the broth into a bowl & take a large funnel & line it with cheese cloth and strain it a few times to get out any sediment, then I add about a tablespoon of karo light syrup for each quart jar so about 4-6 tablespoons and stir it well until it's all dissolved.  Don't forget to eat your potatoes.

Use your funnel & fill your jars up about a third full & put your lids on & close it but not too tight, crimp foil over the top of the jars, bring your PC to 15psi for 15 minutes then let it completely cool to the touch before opening.  They have to be completely cool before you use it.

I take a plastic box with a front opening lid, clean it, disinfect it & then spray it down inside with peroxide right before your ready to inoculate & set my jars inside, make sure your washed down, use gloves & rub alcohol on them good & cover your mouth.  Take a syringe get the end of the needle red hot & inject a couple of cc's into the solution or if you have a print you would open the jars & use a loop that's also been sterilized until it's red hot & scrape some into the solution, I've injected sterile water into a fruiting tub then sucked it back into a sterile syringe & shot it into a liquid culture.

Set it into a warm spot, not incubated just not cold, for 24 hours then put it on a stir plate  24/7 & you'll have outrageous growth in days.  If you don't have a stir plate get one, it makes all the difference in the world, you can even make them out of fan's.  If not use the rocks & the more you agitate the quicker it will grow. 

I know the feeling when no one wants to mess with a newbie but I've grown some of the best kick ass pan cyan's seen on this or any site to date so good luck. :bigblunt:

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: memberjockey]
    #16211397 - 05/10/12 06:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's not that nobody wants to help a newb, we just figured that obscene jumble of thread necromancy was a joke.

LC blows. :thumbdown: Get into agar work, it's easier and cheaper than it looks.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineSimpleFarmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: gumby land
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: Doc_T]
    #16211414 - 05/10/12 06:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

You must have stock in agar and rye..

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: SimpleFarmer]
    #16211446 - 05/10/12 06:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's newb season, I want to set people right before they waste a lot of time failing.

Happens every year: popcorn, LC cloning, thread necromancy, CO2 settling out of air, etc, etc, etc.
Twice a year actually, it'll happen again over Christmas vacation, or whatever they call that these days.
Somebody will dredge up some ancient LC tek and then shoot up jar after jar of green mold.

LC blows. Get into agar work.
Rye is the best grain for newbs, wbs can be used but use rye until you get it right.

I'll be typing that several times a day for the next several weeks I imagine.

--------------------

OfflineDiesel_Dawg
Not a noob

#16211462 - 05/10/12 06:46 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Spores-> LC-> Popcorn destroys everything.

OfflineSimpleFarmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: gumby land
    #16211479 - 05/10/12 06:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have noticed you saying "agar, rye" almost every post in the last few days :wink:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: liquid inoculum with dried malt extract [Re: SimpleFarmer]
    #16211486 - 05/10/12 06:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Agar, aye. Rye not?

Meh, that sounded funnier than it looks. Ima go get a beer.

--------------------

Edited by Doc_T (05/10/12 06:50 PM)

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

#16214452 - 05/11/12 10:25 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have not had any green mold in any of my liquid cultures, I haven't had any mold of any kind in them, even the one with the white cloud at the top was not contaminated, I took pieces & put it into wbs & they colonized within a week,  I use sterile conditions & take all precautions and I have never had a contaminated LC, I pull syringes full of them and put them or a jar full in the fridge for use up to 6 months now,  I just used one a few days ago with no contaminates.  The syringes are swimming in mycelium, they're absolutely beautiful to look at.  I LOVE MY LIQUID CULTURES & have the shrooms to prove they work! 
My pan cyan was grown from liquid cultures, all my grows are from liquid cultures.  I guess if it hadn't been for old tek's I wouldn't have started using LC now I constantly have one on the stir plate.  If done correctly they should not contaminate any easier than anything else & it's fun, like growing tripping sea monkey's.

My thumb isn't white, it's fucking PURPLE!

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16214460 - 05/11/12 10:27 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

even the one with the white cloud at the top was not contaminated, I took pieces & put it into wbs & they colonized within a week, 

And it fruited?

--------------------

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

#16214622 - 05/11/12 11:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Are you asking me if mine fruited?:aweyeah:

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16214633 - 05/11/12 11:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Very cool. :thumbup:

Floating myc almost always is something other than cubensis.
I'm glad yours worked out, but for anybody reading- if it has floaty mycelium watch out.
A healthy Ps cubensis LC will settle out to the bottom.

And it's not so much about sterile precautions as what you inject to start them.
Spore syringes aren't always clean.

--------------------

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

#16214701 - 05/11/12 11:32 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So I have been told, it looked too good to throw it out so I figured I'd find out for myself, first it had no bad odor, so I pulled it out & chopped it into a jar.

s=

--------------------

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

#16214727 - 05/11/12 11:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Like I said both my thumbs are PURPLE!  I've used nothing but LC for all my grows, it might not be for everybody but it's so easy & fun to watch!

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16214855 - 05/11/12 12:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Those aren't cubes. :shrug: Did you bother to read what I wrote?

You can hear all the blah, blah, blah you want. But when it comes to giving advice, please give the good stuff. :thumbup:
LC works for you, that's great. But more new growers fail because of bad syringes than any other reason.
Scroll back through the last few weeks, you'll see what I mean.
Bad syringes can't be used to make good LC. So LC from spores is a no-go for new growers.

Floating myc is almost never Ps. cubensis. <- see what it says there?

LC is easy. It's also a waste of time. It's not faster than spores->agar->grain.

--------------------

Offlinememberjockey
Travelling w/out moving
Female User Gallery

#16216566 - 05/11/12 07:24 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Excuse me sweet sir, almost never you say?  I'm not talking shit out my ass, I have 6 LC going right now & everyone of them have white floating cloud on top & this is from the Penis Envy, I took the white pieces you see & broke them up into this jar just a couple of days ago.  I've have had pan cyan, pan cam & penis envy, hawaiian, albino, golden teacher, b+, giggling jim all have produced the same white cloud on top and none were contaminated.  I've been doing experiments with not only LC but also with making master & bulk substrates & casings.  I've put in countless hours & $ & party research every thing I grow so I know that my 3rd & 4th flushes are more potent than the first, that coir does not produce as potent a mushroom as manure and the list goes on. 

My Hawaiian from LC chunks.

I not only have a purple thumb but I also have a green one + 2 years in horticulture in an Ag college.  I stand by my sweet, sweet grows!:rastamon:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder