Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Best liquid culture medium?
    #1621034 - 06/09/03 04:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

wondering what the best liquid culture medium is... so far i have tried honey ( a crappy old bottle that was half crystalized) that worked the best, I tried this agave nectar stuff that looked good but ended up being shitty as hell (like 3 or 4 days to germinate), and i am in the stages of trying a malt extract one, but it appears that quite a bit of the sugars in the malt crystalized =(. What do you guys use? I want brands, specifics etc...

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Best liquid culture medium? [Re: lemunhed]
    #1621107 - 06/09/03 05:02 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Dextrose IMO is best. 1 & 1/4 metric teaspoon to 100ml water. PC at 15psi for 20minutes. Comes out crystal clear so you'll see everything in it. That ratio is exact to Nan at nans nook. He knows his shit. Works like a charm.

Tried honey. Tried dextrose with potato water too. They're not clear like neat dextrose, so spotting the bad guys is not easy.

Dextrose I have found kicks off within 48hrs as seen with a 10x lens. After 4 days, naked eye seen. It just gets better after that. Use a wide bore needle tip to get the mycelium with ease. Also put small pieces of broken glass in the jar/s, a swish will chop up the mycelium for easier draw into the syringe. Another of Nans tips.

Has a short life so use within 3 weeks. If you want a longer life, add potato water. But that makes the drink so cloudy, you'll have no idea if it has the good, bad or ugly in it. As said at nans nook, the dextrose is a fast food "so draw and shoot buckeye".

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Edited by Starter (06/09/03 05:03 PM)

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Re: Best liquid culture medium? [Re: Starter]
    #1621127 - 06/09/03 05:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Is dextrose just table sugar? And also, is a metric teaspoon the same as a normal teaspoon? Sorry i am just a stupid American...damn standard system and damn George Bush.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Best liquid culture medium? [Re: lemunhed]
    #1621375 - 06/09/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A metric teaspoon = 5ml volume (approx. a typical teaspoon).

Dextrose is used in beer brewing, it's corn sugar. Find it at your home brew store or at the supermaket...if they have beer brewing supplies? Don't use ordinary sugar (cane sugar). If you get dextrose, grab some light malt as well. It will be in the same place. That works too. Use it alone or with dextrose. Fungi loves it, yeast in beer brewing sure goes beserk on it, so did a mycelium test I did with it...till it fell over into the carpet. The problem is, it amber colours your solution so spotting the badies gets hard IMO. Stick with dextrose for a sure bet, then try the varied adventures.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Re: Best liquid culture medium? [Re: Starter]
    #1621490 - 06/09/03 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm... Corn sugar. I have a friend who has a batch of light Malt going right now. I'll tell him to get some corn sugar. Thanks

--------------------

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation