Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
Loc: Japan
Using gravity to refill the humidifier?
    #1620604 - 06/09/03 02:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

There has been one snag in my plan to buy a cool mist humidifier. I want to buy one so I only need to check on my terranium every 2-3 days, and don't want to have to refill the bottle every 12 hours. So I thought up of this. Could I put a hole in the top of the water container and use a hose connecting that to another 3 or 4 gallon water container elevated above the humidifier? This way it would automatically refill. It seems like it would work, but I'm not sure if the humidifiers are built for specific water resevoirs - if this tank would affect the humidifier.

It's hard to explain, but if anyone has experience with this, I'd like to hear your response.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Using gravity to refill the humidifier? [Re: magicfungi]
    #1620777 - 06/09/03 03:26 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I know exactly what you mean, you're worried that the extra water pressure will affect the humidifier yeah? Well, depending on the humidifier model, you may or may not be right. Never fear! Here's what to do; Make a hole in the 3 or 4 gallon water container, but at the top. Push the hose pipe in so that it goes down into the container and almost reaches the bottom. Now, here's the clever bit; elevate the 4 gallon container above the humidifier tank and attach the other end of the hose pipe through a hole in the top of the humidifier tank. Now, what should happen is that if the hose pipe in the humidifier tank is lower than the hose pipe at the bottom of the 4 gallon container, is that as water drains from the humidifier tank it sucks water from the four gallon tank by acting like a syphon, thus water level stays high without an increase in water pressure screwing up your humidifier. Easy huh?

Or alternatively, if that doesn't float your boat, just tape a couple of coffee filters over the end of the hose pipe in the humidifier tank and do what you describe in your original post. That should inhibit water flow enough that the water pressure won't increase. A little bit simpler, but hey, less finesse.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Using gravity to refill the humidifier? [Re: OJK]
    #1620829 - 06/09/03 03:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was just thinking about this today. So in the second method, you would put the hose al the way into the bottom of the tank and the elevated container?

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Using gravity to refill the humidifier? [Re: shakta]
    #1620879 - 06/09/03 03:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Technically speaking, I don't think it would matter; as long as the hose in the the humidifier tank was below the initial water level, as the water level sank it would pull water from the reserve tank (so long as the whole thing was air tight). It probably be better if it was about halfway down inside the humidifier tank, so that water got sucked in before the tank was almost empty.

Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
    #1621137 - 06/09/03 05:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That's a really good idea Odium...amazing. Is this something that you've done?

I think I just might do this. Now I just have to wait for the humifier to be shipped.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1621145 - 06/09/03 05:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I've done just that, glad to be of help. Best of luck with the setup.

By the way, if there's an area of your terrarium you want to be able to see into (i.e a transparent lid or something) to view your cakes, and condensation prevents you doing so, applying a thin layer of vaseline to the surface evenly can prevent condensation forming in an area, thus allowing you to see the contents.

I dunno if that's common knowledge or what, but it's a handy hint that's helped me out.

InvisibleWyrdless
Stranger
    #1621378 - 06/09/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If you put a tube into the bottom the water would fill the humidifier to much.
I think that using a siphon would cause the same problem since its action isn't caused by water preasure but rather gravity. The water is pulled down the water follows to prevent a gap.

It would fill past the top of the tank.

You could make a small hole, insert a tube and use silicon to make it water tight.

--------------------
-------------------------

All your base are belong to us

Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
Re: Using gravity to refill the humidifier? [Re: Wyrdless]
    #1622781 - 06/10/03 02:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting. I do intend on making everything airtight. Odium, what type of tubing, and how thick was it that you used? Also, how big of a container did you use? Out of curiousity, what type of humidifier did/do you run with it?

I was thinking of going with one of those 5 gallon water jugs.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1623392 - 06/10/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

First of all, Wyrdless, I think you've got your wires crossed. Let me put it this way; to begin with, the secondary container, the tube and the humidifier tank are all filled with water. No suction, no movement. As water drains from the humidifier tank, water in the tubing falls (yes, due to gravity) to top of the water level, and thus a vacuum is created in the tubing which pulls in water from the reserve tank, but as soon as the water level in the humidifier tank rises above the level of the hose pipe, the pressure will stop water falling from the hose into the humidifier tank, and the setup will be exactly as it started... except the water level in the reserve tank will be slightly lower. I know it's a bit wordy, but trust me on this.

Magicfungi, I use a six gallon water reserve, 3/8 inch vinyl tubing and a Bionaire cool mist humidifier bought from Argos. I don't think the tubing or the reserve tank size should have any influence on the setup, whatever you use will work fine. The humidifier itself is important, since the entire reason for the siphon is that just placing the reserve above the humidifier with a connecting hose increases water pressure and forces too much water through the system too quickly. This setup may or may not work out with different tank shapes, valve systems etc., but in my experience it has.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1624230 - 06/10/03 07:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, do what Odium said. You don't want to put a hole in the reserve tank -- that'll lead to the water always leaking into the humidifier, which will overfill it and cause a mess. If you just use 3/8 or 1/2 inch vinyl tubing, the water will only flow out of the reserve tank when the water in the humidifier is below the level of the tube. (Expect a bit of outflow if you use a flexible storage tank, like a milk jug, though, when you first turn it over.)

You want the line to the reserve tank to be as short as possible. If you notice flow problems, use a wider diameter tube, or run another thinner line down from the tank to just above -- 1/4 to 1/2 inch -- the bottom of the first, wide tube. In this case, the air will always go up the thin line, until the thin line is under water, and the water will flow unobstructed through the wider line. This set up also allows the line to be much longer.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlinemagicfungi
ryoko
Re: Using gravity to refill the humidifier? [Re: Sev]
    #1624760 - 06/10/03 10:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

So Seth and Odium, as I understand it, the jug is still above the humidifier. The outlet tube that travels between them is routed through the top portion of the jug and down into the jug itself, instead of being connected near the bottom, right?

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1625566 - 06/11/03 04:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

you ppl should study these images, they use the same concept:
automatic pet waterer:

beer bong:

and if all else fails:

:wink:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Edited by fortyounces2freedom (06/11/03 04:11 AM)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Using gravity to refill the humidifier? [Re: 40oz]
    #1626106 - 06/11/03 12:35 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

right magicfungi, its all god

or good

or summit

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1626345 - 06/11/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

it shouldnt matter what size your connecting hose is from the reservoir to the humidifier as long as it is sealed therefore preventing it from overfilling and causing high pressure, if anyone has ever looked at a culligan water dispenser its the same thing.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation