Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEmCo2
hydrogrindingj-tull fan

Loc: Connecticut
please help me identify this mushroom
    #1619574 - 06/08/03 11:56 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i live in connecticut and today i was outside walking around my yard looking at all the vegetation (its rained a lot over the past few weeks, i was sure i might find something). i came across a large patch of mushrooms in a damp, shady area on the side of my house. they may not even be hallucinogenic...but i am still curious to know what species i have growing in my yard! all of the mushrooms were very small, but this is no surprise to me because my lawn is mowed once, sometimes twice a week. if anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it. thanks!

p.s. sorry the pic is a little blurry in spots..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEmCo2
hydrogrindingj-tull fan

Re: please help me identify this mushroom [Re: EmCo2]
    #1619588 - 06/09/03 12:04 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i just wanted to add that although its hard to tell in the pic, the caps look almost identical to the ones in the pictures of the higher quality pan subbs posted by nermski in the "Pan subbs in their habitat (pics)" thread. are they possibly pan subbs?

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #1619598 - 06/09/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Definately gonna need a better picture than that scan. Also you should tell us about the sporeprint. Thanks!

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: please help me identify this mushroom [Re: Signo]
    #1619630 - 06/09/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yup what signo said. i can see a resemblance to some pics ive seen of pann subbs. but youve got to realize is that there are literally thousands of LBMs or little brown mushrooms out there. most professional mycologist wont even bother to id cause its so hard to do. post some more info and people will try their best tho. my bet is on a coprinus although im probly wrong. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAse
Stranger

Loc: sideways & upsidedown
Re: please help me identify this mushroom [Re: blaze2]
    #1619645 - 06/09/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Probably pan foens, not active.

OfflineEmCo2
hydrogrindingj-tull fan

Re: please help me identify this mushroom [Re: blaze2]
    #1619658 - 06/09/03 01:06 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

here are the pics:

i hope that helps a lot more. thanks!

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1619994 - 06/09/03 03:35 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

the stems look to fat for pan foes they are a fragile mushroom. what was the spore print color?

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1620133 - 06/09/03 06:36 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Those look like Marasmius oreades, a very common lawn mushroom. There are two tests you should perform to confirm this.

First, the stem of Marasmius is very tough and flexible. You should be able to bend them all over the place without snapping them off. Most of the time I can wrap one clear around a finger without breaking it.

Second, get a spore print. It should be white to pale tan.

Marasmius oreades is edible, but you need to test every specimen before you eat them (there are poisonous lookalikes which will grow among them sometimes). Also, you need to be sure that the area hasn't been sprayed with a pesticide or something else you wouldn't want to eat. This species will concentrate things like weed killers and you don't want to eat those.

They also have the unusual characteristic that if you dry them out, you can wet them and they will revive.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: please help me identify this mushroom [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1620252 - 06/09/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i must say these pop out at me and say FAIRY RING MUSHROOM

...if thats what Marasmius oreades is.

they are not Panaeolus or Psilocybe most definately.

get that spore print and if it matches, confirm the id with the description here:
http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Marasmius_oreades.html
or here:
http://fungimap.rbg.vic.gov.au/fsp/sp031.html

WOW, before looking at this site down there i did not know that the common Fairy Ring Mushroom is in fact the "twardzioszek przydrozny" of Poland. many people, especially those in rural areas with more mushroom know-how than the average person, pick this mushroom and brag about its taste. many mushroom hunters would not touch it because of its 'unsavory' look. damn boletus pickers...
http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Marasmius_oreades.htm

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: please help me identify this mushroom [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1620256 - 06/09/03 08:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yep. Marasmius oreades is often referred to as the Fairy Ring Mushroom.

A winner is you!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds