Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMickel
enthusiast
Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety
    #1605583 - 06/03/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Can somebody please give me some tips on how to fight my social Anxiety. LIke some sentences that I could say to myself everyday that could help. I don't just mean meditation I mean like strategies or techniques or something. Anybody who has had cognitive behavioral therapy could you please help me out here.
Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: Mickel]
    #1605597 - 06/03/03 05:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Heh.

Yeah, i've had cognitive behavioural therapy.

Have you tried doing ultra low doses of mushrooms? I tried 1/2gram every day for a week and I lost a lot of my social anxiety. But what works for me might not work for you.

Cognitive therapy did nothing for me.

--------------------

Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: Revelation]
    #1606029 - 06/03/03 07:13 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've said these before....

"its all in your mind"(the best one)
"its pointless worrying about what others think of you."

and to be quite honest with you...it helped :laugh:

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

OfflineMickel
enthusiast
Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: shr00m]
    #1606091 - 06/03/03 07:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Let me quote you with something I read:

You cannot tell a person with social anxiety to simply stop thinking negative thoughts. Obviously, the person does not want to think negatively, and if they could choose to stop thinking negatively, they would do so in a heartbeat.

We must employ very specific ways to allow the person to begin to (a) catch their own automatic negative thinking, (b) find distractions to use while therapy is in progress, and (c) begin to turn the tables on automatic negative thinking gradually.

The mind will not accept "irrational positive" statements or beliefs. Repeating "I will wake up in the morning and be happy, content, and less anxious" will do absolutely nothing, because this statement is irrational, given the current state of the mind. Therefore, emphasizing positive thinking and giving out positive thinking statements to people with social anxiety disorder is going to be ineffective, and will only prove to the person that the therapist does not understand and does not know how to successfully treat social anxiety.

Anonymous #1

#1606499 - 06/03/03 10:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I've found the harder I consciously fight anxiety the worse it gets.

InvisibleMyInsanityTrip
Stranger

#1606816 - 06/04/03 12:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Try accepting yourself and who you are, it's who you'll always be.

Learn to love thyself, thyself will be loved.

OfflineMickel
enthusiast
Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: MyInsanityTrip]
    #1608669 - 06/04/03 04:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

maybe some suggestion on how to fight SA.

InvisibleMyInsanityTrip
Stranger

#1609955 - 06/05/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Take first impressions with a grain of salt, don't focus on how people will judge you rather try to find a comfort zone in your setting. If you're with a friend you know and meeting people you don't, try to rely on your friend to help you find that comfort zone subconciously.

I think more than half the times I've felt uncomfortable in society is when I feel out of place entirely, maybe you have to expound on your problems for a real suggestion or help in general.

OfflineMickel
enthusiast
    #1612454 - 06/05/03 05:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

what's expound give me some examples

Offlinemike
iHugTrees

#1615565 - 06/06/03 07:50 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

myinsanitytrip is on to something. relying on others is not good, becasue you leaving out yourself, and again i would whole heartedly oncur that not only being yourself but LOVING yourself is a good road.

think about it, if you see what you are to be loveable, then your projecting positive things, people are drawn in, invited, and willing to out effort into KNOWING you.

you are a human being, mush like the ones that have lived for thousands of years before you. all the shit society throws at you is designed to make you an individual, rather than invite you to be apart of the greatest thing in life, the HUMAN RACE. an evolved organic machine, with capabilites still unseen and unknown. i know that you are a caring person, becasue you see, and you wish to be. therefore you are. now just BE. that is all you HAVE to do man is BE.

--------------------
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: mike]
    #1617207 - 06/07/03 08:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, as mantras go, I've always liked the Litany Against Fear from <i>Dune</i>...

<i>I shall not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. My fear will be gone. Only I will remain.</i>

Some people think I'm full of shit, and maybe I am, but since I haven't got direct access to other peoples' psyches I can only say what works from my viewpoint.

I find that the most important part is that part in the middle: you look and see what the fear is, where it has gone and where it came from. Only then can you really start combatting it.

The biggest thing is finding the roots of your fear, and realising -- or convincing yourself
-- that they're full of shit. Since your fear isn't a 'normal' one, it's evident that whatever the roots of your fear are, they're based on some kind of falsehood. Ya gotta root that out and convince yourself that it's wrong.

Don't get me wrong. It's a bitch. You've gotta be really frank with yourself, and you have to be able to, at some point, relax. But this is what worked for me in the situations where I had to deal with my own shit. YMMV.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineMickel
enthusiast
Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: Sev]
    #1619331 - 06/08/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Any more help would be fucking great. I want to know how to act in public.

Anonymous #1

#1619375 - 06/08/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

best advice to seriously consider...

its not a big deal. don't even think, just go with the flow, listen and give your input

Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: ]
    #1619510 - 06/08/03 11:17 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

well mickel...that quote was nice. but we already knew you couldn't tell a person to stop having negative thoughts.

i mean look at your posts title.
"TIPS on FIGHTING social anxiety"

basically you arent just gonna be social one day.
just fight your constant fears.
sometimes its just you and you are causing unnecessary anxiety.

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

InvisibleMyInsanityTrip
Stranger

#1619584 - 06/09/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Do you live on your own, have a job, a girl, etc?

Seriously, sometimes we lock ourselves into these little worlds in which we have to live by other people's rules (parents, etc.).

When I got out on my own and started to find my place in society everything played itself out.

Experience would be my only tip, you'll fail often, just don't fear failure.

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
    #1628038 - 06/12/03 02:35 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure how old you are so I'll just assume you are in your teens.

I used to have a problem with this and it seriously ruined most of my High School life, and what he said about not being able to just STOP being negative is sooooooooooooooooooo true, NOTHING anyone could say to me would help, but eventually I got over it, I think it was when I got a boost in my really low self-esteem, which might have come from realizing that some girls wer interested in me. So maybe just try to find out if any girls are interested in you, even if you aren't too attracted to them, just give them a chance it might help you feel better about yourself, and yeah I know that it's SOCIAL anxiety, but you've just gotta force it on yourself, and one day you might be better, sorry if i'm no help, but I hope I am, don't worry you'll make it

oh one last thing, you might wanna look into gettin on Paxil or something, but remember NO substance will solve a problem, it will only cover it up
(unless of course a chemical imbalance is to blame)

I'm sorry this is so long, and also if it doesn't make sense, it's 3:45 am and i've been up since 9 ish this morning, so i'm not at my best right now.

Anonymous #1

Re: Tips on Fighting Social Anxiety [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1628075 - 06/12/03 03:14 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I have SAD and after tripping rescently I must say its gone away A LOT...I was worried about the opposite but I seem to be stronger now than before...couple trips on shrooms in a few months has done MUCH more than a couple years of taking paxil...ah the wonders of mushrooms....is there anything they can't do? :laugh:

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1628241 - 06/12/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Trial n Error my man. I had the same prob until I got over it and realized how dumb I was going about it. Trial n error... Learn from your mistakes.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag