Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: millzy]
    #16187398 - 05/05/12 06:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

millzy said:
i came up with an example from this thread, so consider yourself schooled.

Hardly. Address my post above.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: Kickle]
    #16187401 - 05/05/12 06:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i'm not even saying that those criticisms are unjustified. i have plenty of my own. but fair is fair, and religion is a very complicated subject that demands more than an all-or-nothing attitude in order to seriously discuss it.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: millzy]
    #16187405 - 05/05/12 06:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Some are not interested in discussing it and I can't blame them one bit. Religion in many individual's lives has been a fucked up and oppressive presence.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16187406 - 05/05/12 06:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What exactly is so complicated about religion?

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: desert father]
    #16187422 - 05/05/12 06:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Quote:

This seems like it might be contradictory.  How do you have a theology you believe to be true yet not give it much credibility?  It seems this conflicts with the very definition of a theist- at minimum you must have some theology that you believe which has something to say about the mind of god, his wishes, et cet.  If you don't believe this, in what sense are you a theist?

I'm a theist in that I believe there is a/are deit(y)ies. And I don't hold any of the structures built around this/these seriously due to impermanence. I do share the vision of such stories and descriptions often though. So the stories have relevance in my life, including the descriptions of deities.

This simply doesn't seem to satisfy the definition of a theist.  You appear to be describing a deist's position.

As applied to various religious beliefs and the distinctions between them, theism generally requires a theology: some belief that god exists and has revealed his mind to you.  You believe there are certain things god wants of you, or wants you not to do, and so on.

I think some of those definitions are too constrained, as most of the discussions I've read/seen regarding these matters would clearly not restrain a theist to one god.  I also don't get the philosophy dictionary's suggestion that god doesn't have absolute power- that seems like an unnecessary restriction.  (I know general-purpose dictionaries aren't much use when referring to terms used by a specific field or in a particular context, but I included it cuz it agrees with me :p )

Quote:

desert father said:
lol, what do you mean evidence.

That's not a promising start to a post where you've been called upon to defend your claims.  Your free to justify your claims by any method, but how do you suppose to do so without evidence? 

Quote:

what i or anyone else thinks of the bible doesn't matter, it's what you think of it that does.

So what?  What does this second unsupported claim have to do with anything?

Quote:

you want evidence that you are your own unique person, with a unique set of senses, experiencing life in your own unique way, and that only your own impression of individual experiences should matter to you?

Sounds like a straw man- I asked you to back up what you said, not all this bullshit.  But since you broached the topic: yes.  Let's hear some support for the claim that only my own impression of individual experiences should matter to me?  Seems obviously specious- much of my education would have been helplessly dilated and expensive without the aid of other people's individual experiences. Your suggestion would cripple science and many other fields and take mankind to a position similar to what he'd be at if he couldn't communicate- as everything must be derived from scratch, nothing relying upon the observations of prior scientists.

Quote:

are you delusional?

oh yea, and this :rolleyes:

Please point out anywhere you addressed the question even obliquely.  As far as I can see, you didn't.  If you aren't going to back up your claims, and then respond to challenges with yet more unsupported claims, insults, and fallacies, I think we can do without your help in this thread.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #16187424 - 05/05/12 06:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you must have edited your post while i was replying icelander.

Quote:

Icelander said:
Religious practice is what religion is all about. If muslims force women to wear certain things based on religious belief then the religion is the tool to oppress women.

religious practice, outside of theocracies, is about choice. muslim women choose to follow that tradition. i do agree that it's repressive, but that doesn't change that fact.

Quote:

It doesn't really matter what the holy book says but it does matter what people do in the name of that book.

no. we're talking about christianity and the bible, not islam. in addition to being wrong, your statement has nothing to do with the discussion.

Quote:

People are religion they created it and wrote the book and interpret it according to their needs.

again, irrelevant statement.

i know you won't admit that you're wrong, but that's the case.

--------------------

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: Icelander]
    #16187430 - 05/05/12 06:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
What exactly is so complicated about religion?

i don't know, everything.

:awewtf:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16187461 - 05/05/12 07:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

muslim women choose to follow that tradition.

all of them? Freely?  really? and you know this how? 

I've never talked about christianity with you in this thread. I've been speaking of Islam  but every thing I say applies to all religions.

IMO what people do in the name of their religion has the most to do with that religion.  The books can be interpreted any old way to justify any old thing.

But I do agree that you don't know what is complicated about religion. In that you are correct.

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (05/05/12 07:28 PM)

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: Icelander]
    #16187570 - 05/05/12 07:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
muslim women choose to follow that tradition.

all of them? Freely? really? and you know this how?

nope, that isn't what i said at all. not all musims practice freely, but a lot do. in fact the majority of muslims practice their tradition out of their own volition. it's simple logic; there are more muslims than those who live in muslim theocracies.

Quote:

I've never talked about christianity with you in this thread. I've been speaking of Islam  but every thing I say applies to all religions.

how do your assertions apply to a discussion about how christians interpret the bible?

Quote:

IMO what people do in the name of their religion has the most to do with that religion. The books can be interpreted any old way to justify any old thing.

if people revise religion to suit their purposes, what, or more appropriately who, is to blame again for people's actions?

Quote:

But I do agree that you don't know what is complicated about religion. In that you are correct.

cool story bro.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16187759 - 05/05/12 08:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It would be very difficult to make the case that religious people practice of their own volition due to the religious indoctrination given from birth in their culture.  This is why most americans are christian and not muslim or buddhist. 

I know I practiced christianity due to my programming and not of my own volition.  Very little of what we do if any is of our own volition imo.

It's pretty obvious to all with eyes to see that christians interpret their bible in the same way that other religions interpret their texts.  Or there would be total agreement on interpretation of  texts in all religions.

And of course people are ultimately responsible for their actions. They are also ultimately responsible for the creation of their religious texts. Do you think god did it?

It's a cool story because it's your story. :thumbup:  I was quoting you.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #16187782 - 05/05/12 08:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Some blame nature to be responsible for their actions :shrug:

OfflineKupo
Kupop!

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #16187812 - 05/05/12 08:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't understand how you expect such constants among human beings

edit : ^ directed to op, hit reply my bad

Edited by Kupo (05/05/12 08:49 PM)

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #16188075 - 05/05/12 10:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
It would be very difficult to make the case that religious people practice of their own volition due to the religious indoctrination given from birth in their culture.  This is why most americans are christian and not muslim or buddhist.

I know I practiced christianity due to my programming and not of my own volition.  Very little of what we do if any is of our own volition imo.

there is a stark difference between convention and living in a theocracy. someone may be raised x in a free society, but it is ultimately their choice whether or not they choose to embrace that path when they become adults. you made the choice to abandon your tradition; what makes you so special? when the state gets involved, the ability to make that choice becomes compromised, at least at the public level.

Quote:

It's pretty obvious to all with eyes to see that christians interpret their bible in the same way that other religions interpret their texts.  Or there would be total agreement on interpretation of  texts in all religions.

no, the contrary of what you're saying is what is obvious. christianity is an ocean of differing views on how scripture is interpreted, hence the catholic, protestant and mystical schools and all of their sub sects. a more appropriate term is "christianities" rather than christianity. this same principle can be applied to judaism and islam, which is why making blanket statements about the abrahamic traditions, insofar as the way you are making them, is erroneous.

Quote:

And of course people are ultimately responsible for their actions. They are also ultimately responsible for the creation of their religious texts. Do you think god did it?

you're arguing false cause. you contradict yourself by saying that religion is a cause of evil because people created it. people have created religion, and people are ultimately responsible for their actions. it's obvious that religion is marshaled in order to exert some sort of control over a population, but i would argue that in most cases where that control is being abused the teachings themselves are being distorted in a way that serve individual or ruling minority interests rather than there being a problem with the ethos of the teachings themselves.

Quote:

It's a cool story because it's your story. :thumbup:  I was quoting you.

you completely misunderstood my initial reply. what i am saying is that everything is complicated about religion. you seem to disagree with that notion. and from my end, that disagreement, on your end, comes from your complete lack of understanding of the intricacies of religion. therefore you are misinformed as i originally stated.

you say it's simple, i'm saying not so much.

like i said earlier, i don't have an issue with people criticizing religion, but at least know wtf you're talking about if you do so.

--------------------

Edited by millzy (05/06/12 02:53 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#16188945 - 05/06/12 03:34 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I made a choice to try to abandon my religions. I've never been fully able to. IMO the state is always involved in religion because ultimately religion is a tool of the state and culture.

christianity is an ocean of differing views on how scripture is interpreted

According to what I've been reading basically the same thing has been going on in islam. That is why there are varying rules as to what is acceptable behavior for women and what is the meaning of jihad etc.  I really don't see your case on this at all.  The only difference is Christianity has more names for their differing interpretations of scripture.

it's obvious that religion is marshaled in order to exert some sort of control over a population, but i would argue that in most cases where that control is being abused the teachings themselves are being distorted in a way that serve individual or ruling minority interests rather than there being a problem with the ethos of the teachings themselves.

Who decides when that control is being abused or what that abuse is?  Aren't teachings always open to interpretation. How do you know which are being distorted?  I can agree that all religions have some benign aspects to them but the very need for them leaves them open to such abuse due to the irrational nature of the beliefs themselves.  If you believe in a god with no evidence and you believe in a priesthood ordained by that god with no evidence then you'll believe anything pretty much.  What priesthood in what religion hasn't been political in some way?  It's the irrational nature of religion that scares me. It reflects a dangerous irrationality in humanity.  Just look a the crimes done in the name of religion. Yet they all profess to be based in love and good will.

It's not so complicated when you look at it like this. The prime motivators are the same throughout.  Fear and control on a personal and political level.  The only thing complicated is the ritual the psychology is pretty much the same all over.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #16189191 - 05/06/12 06:11 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

" The prime motivators are the same throughout.  Fear and control on a personal and political level."
Sorry to interrupt, but some folks still really look for a cause 'beyond' that, aka g*d. As g*d is hardly to be described, it's an easy thing to abuse it for the reasons you state.
But the search/story is not over just because people abuse religion for their own reasons.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinefivepointer
Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: johnm214]
    #16189216 - 05/06/12 06:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:

---

What prompted this post:

I was watching a discussion where some 'sophisticated' catholic talked with nonbelievers about the importance of the church and made the usual disclaimer that he certainly wouldn't expect the bible to be true literally (he didn't mention how to decode the true meaning, they never do).  As he was pressed, however; he said Adam and Eve couldn't have been real people and that humans simply evolved from lower primates.

To the unsophisticated reader, myself, I would think this would be a rather fatal admission- how could this person be a catholic at all?  How could it be necessary to be baptized?  Why would the default disposition of people be hell?  Why would we need to meet in booths and tell old virgins that we're sorry for having masterbated?  Does this single admission not demolish the whole reason for Christ in the first place- and hence the whole of Christianity?

That's just one example of problems that arise from trying to reconcile credulous belief in authority with reality, but is there any non-problematic one?

Why quote a Catholic as an authority on Christianity?  They may be an authority on the Roman Catholic church, but that is not Christianity.  They believe that the RCC is the ultimate authority on all things related to Christianity.  Because Pope XYZ, or Council of XYZ is the ultimate authority.  They deny the supremacy of scripture as sole authority.  So of course they will have many doctrines that they created themselves, but are alien to scripture.  Every Christian knows they are Anti Christians who spread the false gospel of the RCC.

---
Steadfastly holding to the five points:

Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone")
Sola fide ("by faith alone")
Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone")
Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone")

Also to the five points of the TULIP:
T - Total Depravity
U - Unconditional Election
L - Limited Atonement
I - Irresistible Grace
P - Preservation of the Saints

Edited by fivepointer (05/06/12 06:34 AM)

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #16192188 - 05/06/12 08:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fivepointer said:

Why quote a Catholic as an authority on Christianity?  They may be an authority on the Roman Catholic church, but that is not Christianity.

ugh, I really appreciate your views on this fivepointer, as one of our few christian members, but all this straw man crap is getting really, really, old.

Name on place I suggested anyone was an authority on anything- I didn't.  I observed a common explanation of 'sophisticated' believers, of which many protestants conform to, and it motivated a question I had.

Why do so many of these posts invent unstated claims when it comes to religion and spirituality?  The only other topic I've seen inspire this amount of nonsense is the Israeli/Palestinian question.

Quote:

mrspirit2 said:
I don't understand how you expect such constants among human beings

edit : ^ directed to op, hit reply my bad

Another straw man.  Where did I even remotely imply I expected 'such constants' among human beings?  The entire premise of this question was my doubt that there is a constant interpretation that can incorporate the christian beliefs.

Quote:

millzy said:

religious practice, outside of theocracies, is about choice. muslim women choose to follow that tradition. i do agree that it's repressive, but that doesn't change that fact.

Everyone faces compelling influences.  There is no bright line and to the extent your claim seems to rest on one, it seems it must fail.  Many in theocracies don't believe, violate the law, and so forth, and i see no relevant distinction to the compulsion one faces in a society of religious people who will shun them for unbelief that has no criminal penalties and one that does.

Quote:

millzy said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Doesn't help the ones that are forced does it?

about as much as a fallacious statement about the tradition. technically, governments are who force women to wear burqas. i won't defend the mistreatment of women in arabic muslic theocracies, but islam exists outside of those countries where that happens.

So what?  This is not done "in the name of" Islam or represent some meerly antecedant or coincidant cultural practice, it is ordered and compelled as a direct consequence of god's word in the Quran and Hadith.  It is, moreover, expressly attributable to these divine instructions when the authorities issue their rulings.

O Prophet! Enjoin your wives, your daughters, and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed. [...]
(Quran 33:58–59)

Then Allah's Apostle got up and went away, and I too, followed him till he reached the door of 'Aisha's room. Then he thought that the people must have left the place by then, so he returned and I also returned with him. Behold, the people were still sitting at their places. So he went back again for the second time, and I went along with him too. When we reached the door of 'Aisha's room, he returned and I also returned with him to see that the people had left. Thereupon the Prophet hung a curtain between me and him and the Verse regarding the order for (veiling of women) Hijab was revealed.
Sahih Bukhari 7:65:375

OfflineTrypppy
Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: johnm214]
    #16192235 - 05/06/12 08:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think it i very possible to come up with a coherent interpretation of the Bible non-literally, but as soon as you open the door for a non-literal interpretation, you are inviting people to come up with their own. As such, you are never going to have a single interpretation of what people will come up with will be misguided and way off the mark.

--------------------

AFOAF once told me to do drugs, so then I did.

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

#16192259 - 05/06/12 08:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Are you saying the only reason muslim women cover their faces is because they think god orders it, or that they are compelled to by others because the others believe god commands it?

in the quote even god gives a practical reason other than it being the word of god.

and here to:

Quote:

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their khimār over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. (Quran 24:31

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is there a coherent interpretation of the Bible- even through 'non-litteral interpretations'? [Re: Freedom]
    #16192294 - 05/06/12 09:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Trypppy said:
I think it i very possible to come up with a coherent interpretation of the Bible non-literally, but as soon as you open the door for a non-literal interpretation, you are inviting people to come up with their own. As such, you are never going to have a single interpretation of what people will come up with will be misguided and way off the mark.

I don't particularly care, the bible is misguided and off the mark anyways.

You do reveal the problem common to even the liberal theists who don't accept the bible as the word of god per se: they are still validating wishful beliefs and reinforcing illogical thinking.  This prevents you from diagnosing and improving upon problems.

In any case, the requirement was not simply a coherent interpretation, but one that is not inconsistant with the common Christian view: that the bible is god's word in some sense or another and that god loves us and revealed himself through it.  As discussed previously, you can interpret the bible to be bullshit and that's consistant, but it rejects the premise and thus fails to satisfy my query.  If you believe you do have a satisfactory interpretation, then please be the first to identify it.

Quote:

Freedom said:
Are you saying the only reason muslim women cover their faces is because they think god orders it, or that they are compelled to by others because the others believe god commands it?

No, of course not.  Nowhere in my post did I discuss 'the only reason muslim women cover their faces' (which isn't neccesarily required).

Quote:

in the quote even god gives a practical reason other than it being the word of god.

So what?

There are plenty of reasons to crawl inside cloth bags, I could name several more.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order