Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Loc: Orlando FL
OK so I picked this mushroom..
    #1617919 - 06/08/03 10:13 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I picked a large cube in the wild and it's not enough to trip off of obviously, so  was thinking about using it to get a spore print to start growing my own. Is there an easier way than the whole cultivation. I read somewhere about cloning but didn't find it in any of the FAQ's. Info please :smile: I'm a true newbie to growing as I have never tried before 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: OK so I picked this mushroom.. [Re: ScubySnak420]
    #1617932 - 06/08/03 10:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

A FOAFOAF goes to UCF(really is a friend of a friend this time) and grows. If you do a little networking maybe you could meet someone who would teach you.

My kids grow from wild spore prints and they are making great progress. They just had to overcome some contamination issues. Cloning would solve that for you until you could take some clean spore prints from your own grown shrooms. My kids haven't tried cloning yet so they can't tell you exactly how to do it.

Basically you would want a contamination free sample of mushroom flesh from the center of the stem. You would need to cut it out in a completely sterile environment. Then you would transfer that to an agar plate to grow mycelium. There's a little more to it, but like I said my kids aren't sure.

The kids suggest taking a spore print to start with.

That's what they did and you can see from my avatar that my boy is tripping off of his successful grow. :grin:

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: OK so I picked this mushroom.. [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1618675 - 06/08/03 05:56 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ekstaza's kids are very right. The spore print method is best for a newbie grower, squirms the cockroach just scuttling by.

OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Re: OK so I picked this mushroom.. [Re: koraks]
    #1618875 - 06/08/03 07:22 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So if I was going to grow from a spore print, I could follow all the steps in the different teks but instead of squirting the spores from a syringe I could just scrape off some spores from the inex card it's printing on? Is the success about the same as from a syringe?

OfflineAmanita_Dreamer
Rotting HumanCorpse

Loc: The 666th Plane of HELL
    #1618889 - 06/08/03 07:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

One of the reasons they say only to use an eight of the total print per syinge is the microscopic possiblilty that a 'contaminant' spore(s) have landed on a differnt eigth of the print that you happen to be using. In that case maybe only 2 or 3 of the 8 are contamed and the rest will viable. In other words don't put all your eggs in one basket. Scrape only a small section of the print per innoculation and it will help the odds in your favor that you'll have a nice 'pure' mushroom culture.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #1620203 - 06/09/03 09:58 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

instead of squirting the spores from a syringe I could just scrape off some spores from the inex card it's printing on?

Well, you can make a spore syringe from the sporeprint, that's the way I do it. This way, you can follow the teks to the letter...

OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Re: OK so I picked this mushroom.. [Re: koraks]
    #1623245 - 06/10/03 10:04 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks. I really want to try growing but it seem so complicated and there are so many places that you could go wrong...I guess it's worth a try though. Does the room you are growing them in smell at all? I would be doing this in my room at my parents house until school starts again in the fall and I get a new apartment at school.

InvisibleShroomJockey
Hoser

Loc: LunchLadyLand
    #1623256 - 06/10/03 10:14 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Doesn't smell one bit! Even if you get contames....cause the smells are sealed in the Jars.....but once you take those lids off there is a little smell.....either yummy shrooms or stinky puke (contaiminated).....but nothing like growin weed!

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #1623575 - 06/10/03 01:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Zero smell dude, so you're safe there. When you open up the jars, there is either noe smell (no mycelium and no contams), a 'mushy' smell, very much like edible mushrooms (mycelium) or a real nasty smell (that's contams). But as long as the jars are closed, no smell.

Just start growing. Most likely you'll have to deal with colonization problems, contaminations or fruiting problems somewhere along the way, but it's just too much fun, the whole growing process! And remember, whatever problem you have, there's always someone here willing to help you with advice.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation