Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSeekingtruth
Learnererer

Loc: Atlantis
Agaricus subrufescens atop ahi tuna
    #16164724 - 05/01/12 09:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I found these Agaricus subrufescens growing nearby.  One ended up being bid riddled; the other was good to go.  I sautéed it in butter and used the resulting butter to pan sear some ahi tuna.  Was very delicious.  I would recommend cooking ahi in olive oil rather than butter; it's all I had at the house today. 

The one mushroom wasnt really enough for that meal, but was great either way.  When I took a couple of those mushroom pieces and half of a piece of tuna, dip in in soy/wasabi, it was flavorful.  First you get the salty, spicy flavor. Then comes the meat texture and flavor.  Lastly there was a subtle taste of the mushrooms as the aftertaste. If you were just scarfing the food down, you would miss he mushroom taste altogether.

Pm me if you want an ahi tuna recipe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewood chip
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Agaricus subrufescens atop ahi tuna [Re: Seekingtruth]
    #16165263 - 05/01/12 11:55 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

How did you identify that mushroom?

It does not look like  A.subrufescens

OfflineSeekingtruth
Learnererer

Re: Agaricus subrufescens atop ahi tuna [Re: wood chip]
    #16165461 - 05/01/12 12:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16121565

They were growin beside these I had identified on the identification forum.  What do u think it is?

OfflineSeekingtruth
Learnererer

#16165471 - 05/01/12 12:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Those pics were taken under a yellow light. They were white as can be and bruised yellow.

Offlinewood chip
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #16166553 - 05/01/12 03:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They look like Agaricus in the link.

It is not a good idea to eat "button" Agaricus unless you are 100 percent confident on identification.

They can be difficult to distinguish from some Amanitas that grow in the same habitat. And some yellow staining Agaricus will make you sick. 

If you are "a general almond lumper"  make absolutely sure it smells like almonds.
The buttons are very good of all the almond Agaricus I have eaten.  (augustus, arvensis and subrufescens)

OfflineSeekingtruth
Learnererer

Re: Agaricus subrufescens atop ahi tuna [Re: wood chip]
    #16167835 - 05/01/12 08:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wood chip said:
They look like Agaricus in the link.

It is not a good idea to eat "button" Agaricus unless you are 100 percent confident on identification.

They can be difficult to distinguish from some Amanitas that grow in the same habitat. And some yellow staining Agaricus will make you sick. 

If you are "a general almond lumper"  make absolutely sure it smells like almonds.
The buttons are very good of all the almond Agaricus I have eaten.  (augustus, arvensis and subrufescens)

How can I go about learning more info on this?  I assumed it was the subs since they grew right next to each other. I bought a guide, but it doesn't even mention subs.

OfflineSeekingtruth
Learnererer

#16167942 - 05/01/12 08:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Nm! I did some more reading.  I didn't realize there were so many Agaricus that were so close of look a likes to each other.  I won't eat anymore of these.  If I ate a bad one, how bad would I get sick and how long would it be before I notice symptoms?  What symptoms?

Offlinewood chip
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #16169253 - 05/02/12 01:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Mushroom demystified is an easy and well written guide specific to California. It is useful for many areas.

Join you local mushroom club. 

I would not rely on the internet alone for identification of unknown species you plan to consume.

Offlinepseudotsuga
Male

Loc: usa
    #16169953 - 05/02/12 07:48 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Seekingtruth said:
Nm! I did some more reading.  I didn't realize there were so many Agaricus that were so close of look a likes to each other.  I won't eat anymore of these.  If I ate a bad one, how bad would I get sick and how long would it be before I notice symptoms?  What symptoms?

I have heard of people eating types of agaricus which are known to be poisonous without ill effect. If you did get sick from eating an agaricus, it would just be gastrointestinal distress.

OfflineSeekingtruth
Learnererer

Re: Agaricus subrufescens atop ahi tuna [Re: pseudotsuga]
    #16170340 - 05/02/12 10:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's been over 24 hours and I feel fine.  It probably was a good one to eat, buti don't need to be assuming it is ok just because it grew right beside the other good ones. My dad burned off some leaves right there yesterday while I was out.  It burned up the old patch I was leaving to distribute spores.  Would that small fire sterilize the area, or just kill them off for now and possibly this year?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags