Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >
Invisiblewhatsgrimace
Stranger
Male

Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #16164315 - 05/01/12 07:08 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

it's the thing that makes us believe we have a choice even though the presidents have been selected before they even go to office

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: whatsgrimace]
    #16164332 - 05/01/12 07:16 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

whatsgrimace said:
it's the thing that makes us believe we have a choice even though the presidents have been selected before they even go to office

Of course they are selected before they even go to office. They are selected months before they actually go to office.

I don't think that is what you're trying to say though. Are you implying that the presidents are selected by the Electoral College before people even vote for them?

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: whatsgrimace]
    #16164341 - 05/01/12 07:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

whatsgrimace said:

I blame the jews :tinfoil:

Offlinepresident elect
Stranger
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: resonant111]
    #16165748 - 05/01/12 01:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I will most definitely vote I think there are now two good candidates to choose from, both representing very different political visions.

The presidential election of the USA 2012 will be much more exciting than back in 2008. Romney has much more stronger case than McCain back in the time and Obama´s economical reforms have not been working well enough.

But I wonder if Romney is really able to show a better solution for the current problem

Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: president elect]
    #16167024 - 05/01/12 05:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

president elect said:
I will most definitely vote I think there are now two good candidates to choose from, both representing very different political visions.

:mygoditsfullofstars:

Defend yourself, good sir.

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: resonant111]
    #16167707 - 05/01/12 08:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

resonant111 said:i got a bunch of "obama supporting" friends who think the guy still gives a shit about the people...makes me laugh.

What is your basis for this evaluation that he doesn't give a shit about the people?

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #16168069 - 05/01/12 09:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Without the electoral system there would never have been a United States.  Get over it.

true, but do you know why I'm NOT going to vote? I today watched inside job the film. Very crazy stuff

yes houses used to be paid off at times by companies that lent money to people to give to banks to pay off their house to the real estate companies. Then Clinton came out and allowed big wall street policies, so that insurance companies and companies like AIG could give money to loan companies, and then wall street could buy stock of AIG, private trading and investment, billion dollar a year business, people never paying off the houses, everyone going bank rupt, etc.

what's fucked up, is that every single administration in the last 20 years, clinton, bush, obama, have all been involved in allowing wall street fat cats who get bonuses to fund their campaigns, none of them have been straight. Watch the movie. Also when it's found out these companies have performed fraud, no one has gone to jail, been tried, no justice. In fact instead billions of dollars of bail outs have been given out.

What also pisses me off, is companies that sell the houses, real estate companies, continue to raise prices while people aren't even paying them off for the houses they are already trying to sell. The price of a snickers bar hasn't gone up in 30 years. But a house every year will go up in value five thousand, ten thousand, twenty thousand, a year. You name it. Now in 30 years what does that equal? It's fucking sad, and no I'm not going to trust the next administration to do what the last administration has gone, it's fucking pathetic, they are all liars, George Bush and warren Buffet and Bernanke and all the fucking liars had no problem with a four hundred billion bail out, no republican is going to be less corrupt then a democrat.

And so Clinton left with a surplus in the treasury, guess what, probably the president before his eight year two terms reign set that up. I don't know, I could care less about a republican controlled congress, lobbyists, people who need registered broker ship to help companies get loans for commission, everyone is getting screwed from the top all the way down. And now even honest people are screwed, who get a tiny percentage to help other people out and make their company stronger. So really, at this point, the world can kiss my ass, and everyone can burn in hell. We are all taking a big bite out of the big shit sandwich.

Have fun voters, I will probably never vote again in my life. And fuck Rick Scott, and fuck Jeb Bush, I don't care how many people like them, they haven't done Florida any god damn favors. All favors done to society have been done by:

the works, the providers, the honest people. No god damn politician has helped a god damn thing. And when I say workers, I'm not with Zappa discluding floor workers, hey, you can work for AIG and make a hundred million, and be a lying piece of shit like anyone else? You think with a registered broker ship I'd get even a 10% commission? I'd get screwed, and probably have to sue, and probably lose a lawsuit. Look it up, AIG profited way more then 10% commission. And a stock broking company makes even less, a broker should make a 1% commission out of the stock profits he makes for the company, and the companies that buy and sell the stock. God damn wall street bonuses equaling 19 million? Fuck that, way more then any 10%, and most people get fucked for 3%, and if you expect to get paid under the table, you are going to get fucked completely

They are all liars, and I'm not voting for any of them. As Gordon Gekko said at the end of Wall Street:

"you aren't Nieves enough to think we are living in a democracy do you?"

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: imachavel]
    #16168106 - 05/01/12 09:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
What also pisses me off, is companies that sell the houses, real estate companies, continue to raise prices while people aren't even paying them off for the houses they are already trying to sell.

You've never bought or sold a house, have you?

This is not at all how it works...people sell a house for as much as they can get for it...people buy a house for as little as they can pay for it...

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16168793 - 05/01/12 11:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
I think most Americans would argue things were best when there was a very strong middle class; from post World War II until the late 70's.  Families could live comfortably on a single income, most families could afford a house, car, and college education.  The middle class has never been as strong before or after that period.

Thats a myth and a very distorted view of reality.

What exactly is a myth?  That we had a strong middle class from post World War II until the late 70's?  That the middle class was stronger during that time than 100 years ago?  That most families lived on a single income during that time?

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #16168870 - 05/01/12 11:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This part,

Quote:

Families could live comfortably on a single income, most families could afford a house, car, and college education.  The middle class has never been as strong before or after that period.

There are more homeowners, more car owners, more college students and a richer middle class than ever.  The difference is in expectations and standards of living.  People need two incomes to pay for luxuries above and beyond anything the myth of americana offers.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16169337 - 05/02/12 01:53 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
There are more homeowners, more car owners, more college students and a richer middle class than ever.  The difference is in expectations and standards of living.  People need two incomes to pay for luxuries above and beyond anything the myth of americana offers.

Here is a graph of homeowner rates since 1965 (when the data was first collected annually):

Prior to 1965, decennial Census data "show a large increase in homeownership in the 1940s and 1950s, from from about 45 percent of all households in 1940 to 63 percent in 1960. Between 1900 and 1940, the homeownership rate fluctuated between about 45 and 48 percent"  So the increase in homeownership started in the 1940's and continued until 1980, when there was a large decline in homeownership.  A large bubble began shortly after the Glass–Steagall Act was repealed, but that bubble collapsed in 2007 and is continuing its rapid decline.

Yes, there are more college students than ever, but that's not a result of them being able to afford it better.  It's required for them to make the same income that people used to make without a college degree.  In fact, college is more difficult to afford than ever.

Are the middle class richer than ever?  As you can see from this graph of average family income in 2008 inflation-adjusted US dollars, there was a decline in 1980:

I'll admit, the spike under Clinton from '93 to '99 is a surprise to me, but that's been going down since 2000 and is almost back to the 1979 level.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Invisiblesetb
10th level beer nerd
    #16169814 - 05/02/12 06:36 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

'll admit, the spike under Clinton from '93 to '99 is a surprise to me, but that's been going down since 2000 and is almost back to the 1979 level.

Dot com boom.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16169820 - 05/02/12 06:41 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
There are more homeowners.

Here is a graph of homeowner rates since 1965 (when the data was first collected annually):

DieCommie said nothing about homeownership rates...he said there are more homeowners...do you have a graph or data showing the amount of homeowners?

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: US presidential election 2012: will you vote? [Re: Enlil]
    #16170182 - 05/02/12 09:16 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

imachavel said:
What also pisses me off, is companies that sell the houses, real estate companies, continue to raise prices while people aren't even paying them off for the houses they are already trying to sell.

This is not at all how it works...people sell a house for as much as they can get for it...people buy a house for as little as they can pay for it...

La der.  Most house sales are of existing homes.  Private individuals selling their property in an open market to other private individuals.  What a concept.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #16170198 - 05/02/12 09:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
I think most Americans would argue things were best when there was a very strong middle class; from post World War II until the late 70's.  Families could live comfortably on a single income, most families could afford a house, car, and college education.  The middle class has never been as strong before or after that period.

What exactly is a myth?  That we had a strong middle class from post World War II until the late 70's?  That the middle class was stronger during that time than 100 years ago?  That most families lived on a single income during that time?

You want to go back to a time when women were all but compelled to working in a limited range of occupations?  What the fuck do you think was going to happen when they doubled the available work force?:facepalm:

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#16170316 - 05/02/12 10:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

imachavel said:

that's bullshit. I actually happen to know a few real estate agents. It IS expensive in some cases to buy the house then flip it, and in some cases they don't flip it for much, but saying it is ALWAYS like that is total garbage. I've heard of houses going for 20 million dollars. Now a person selling the house gets a 5% commission. You are telling me the real estate company would buy the house for 19 million and sell it for 20 million? In that case 5% would be 1 million all together and the real estate agent would get the entire commission and the company would get nothing.

Give me a break. I know construction companies contract out their work for high prices to realtor's who will buy and flip the property, but no construction company will build a property and sell it for 19 million, unless it's a huge building for example empire state building, selling condos, in which case 19 million might be very small of a price for what they will sell the building for.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16170323 - 05/02/12 10:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

So what are you saying?  That you're against free market in real estate?

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#16170343 - 05/02/12 10:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

yeah no kidding. Most people don't believe me when I say now that practically no middle class exists. They say "me and dozens and dozens of people make a yearly income of about what classifies middle class." Sure, it's not non existent. But every year the middle class dies and dies an dies a little more, the rich get richer, and the poor get a little poorer. You may say that middle class wages exist, but in low low numbers. And dropping. Go to the bank and ask for a loan now days, and I'm not saying this off the top of my head either, these are real accounts of people I've heard going to a bank and asking for loans.

Now we are in the middle of a recession, who should be getting a loan? Nobody right? Wrong. Go to a bank with a huge business that rakes in hundreds of thousands a years, you'll practically get your loan that day. Fuck it go in as a registered broker for someone else, they'll get on the phone and give the guy his loan that day. Banks are spending money these days buck o, what 8% nationwide unemployment will stop that? I wish so many things weren't non disc losable, or I'd give real life examples and details of cases this is true. Now go to a bank and ask for a loan for your tiny restaurant? Tell them it's been going for 20 years and you have impeccable credit and want to take out a loan to start a new restaurant to make your existing restaurant a chain, tell them it's a small loan. Forget about it, they might even have you removed from the office at the bank.

Middle class exists sure, but let me tell you, the middle class the exists is from a previous time the economy stabilised and made middle class members a foundation. These days no in is interested in strengthening the middle class, it just doesn't exist. Banks want to bet on sure things, to avoid risk, and are doing so. Mean while the idea of a business to them existing in a small chain is a joke. People have their little Cuban coffee shops they maintain with their own money, and ford sells cars, and to them there might as well be no in between.

Sure exceptions are made but take my word for it these days the middle class is dwindling and dwindling and dwindling.

--------------------

Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

#16170380 - 05/02/12 10:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

imachavel said:

that's bullshit. I actually happen to know a few real estate agents. It IS expensive in some cases to buy the house then flip it, and in some cases they don't flip it for much, but saying it is ALWAYS like that is total garbage. I've heard of houses going for 20 million dollars. Now a person selling the house gets a 5% commission. You are telling me the real estate company would buy the house for 19 million and sell it for 20 million? In that case 5% would be 1 million all together and the real estate agent would get the entire commission and the company would get nothing.

Give me a break. I know construction companies contract out their work for high prices to realtor's who will buy and flip the property, but no construction company will build a property and sell it for 19 million, unless it's a huge building for example empire state building, selling condos, in which case 19 million might be very small of a price for what they will sell the building for.

If the company bought it for $19 million, but then refused to sell it for $20 million, even though that was what the market could deliver, then that is an example of a sunk cost.  A company that did that wouldn't last for long.

In the real estate market, people sell their houses for as much as they can get and people buy them for as little as they can pay for it.  The fact that people somtimes lose money doesn't change that equation at all.

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#16170383 - 05/02/12 10:22 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
So what are you saying?  That you're against free market in real estate?

NO I'M MAKING A POINT! I'M NOT AGAINST THE FREE MARKET! I am simply saying that all this AIG shit and lack of old policies that loan companies used to sell houses where they got money from an insurance company that had private investors and traders trading bonds of the insurance company, and wall street making 19 million a year profits, while house prices continued to rise and rise, while the price of a candy bar has remained the same for the past 35 years, really destroyed the economy! The free market is fine, the government is corrupt. We should have a free market, but government policies that allow heavy private stock trading of very large public companies, while small businesses die and die and die and die is totally a hefty amount of bullshit.

Of course free market should exist! But you know something is wrong when the free market exists in the sense that people will take your tax dollars and gamble them on the stock market! And when others claim we didn't go broke until Obama was in office, and when other people claim republicans will fix the problem! The government is like the goodfellas:

"we paid off everyone, everyone had their hands out for the taking"

So a little political corruption never hurt anyone. People made their money fair and square and under legal conditions. Ok so what can you do? If you were getting 10% commissions of heavy trading who would you be to deny it? You work hard to connect people and make them way more money then what you get which is a tiny piece of what they are making. Fine. But when a hundred million houses aren't paid for, and the insurance company owes the lending companies every dollar by contract, and the insurance company is the biggest thing on the stock market, and the cabinet has decided to bail these companies out with your hard worked tax dollars, it doesn't seem like a 'free' market any more. What type of government takes all the money made by citizens and gives it away to large companies that went broke on their own venture?

Sound like democracy? 95% of the wealth owned by less then 5% of the population. Pretty soon middle class will be less then 10% of the people. Does shell lose money? How can you not buy their gas? When bio fuel ethanol replaces gasoline and we are all using it instead? Are people going to say "it's the free market let the dems and repubs take our money and sink it into the stock market under efi ethanol fuel incorporated" or whatever they'll call it at that time. These companies are mega corporations! They are already going to get all your money!

Why does the government need to take hard earned tax dollars and blow it on the stock market! It's god damn unconstitutional! When everyone is buying shell gas, how can they NOT make money? You give them EVERY DAMN DOLLAR YOU MAKE! And they deserve a bail out? Fuck when a company like that goes under, they file for bank ruptcy, then with the remaining cash they didn't sink bank into the business they retire in Nassau. How is our tax money going into the stock market the free market?!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom