Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Irradiated spores.
    #1614232 - 06/06/03 08:47 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

In our countries efforts to make this a safe nation, the practice of irradiating mail continues to grow.

Irradiating mail is designed to kill bacteria by exposure to low doses of radiation. These doses are not high enough to remain in packages and remain harmful, but are enough to kill bacteria and likely weaken or kill spore material.

Primarily, irradiating mail is performed on packages and irregular envelopes outgoing from large metropolitan cities. This practice does little for national security as all one need do to avoid irradiating would be to mail from a smaller city into the target area. Larger metropolitan cities will likely irradiate incoming and outgoing mail.

Our hypothesis was that irradiated spores would be weakened or destroyed.

To prove our hypothesis, my University research group sealed four packages containing shiitake spores. Shiitake was chosen for this experiment for its predictable spore density.

Two packages were bubble wrap envelopes, inside cardboard boxes containing spore prints on 22mil glass microscope slides. In addition, a radiation dosimeter card was included to detect the presense of radiation.

Two packages were bubble wrap envelopes, inside cardboard boxes containing 12mL of spore solution in 20mL plastic vials. In addition, a radiation dosimeter card was included to detect the presense of radiation.

Prior to packaging, dipicolinic acid (DPA) was sampled from each source to measure spore density by way of nitrocellulose membrane test strip. When this strip is exposed to ultraviolet light, the DPA ions luminesce green which can then be measured.

One of each package was then mailed from a large Florida post office, on four separate days and addressed to return to our research group.

In a sterile environment, each package was individually opened and the radiation dosimeter observed.

Radiation is measured in kiloGrays (kGy). Three of the four packages presented exposure to kiloGrays. Both spore solution vials were exposed, but only one of the prints.

Of the three exposed, all received kGy doses were greater than 30 which is the accepted dose for bacteriological destruction.

Again, dipicolinic acid (DPA) was sampled from each of the three exposed sources to measure spore density by way of nitrocellulose membrane test strip.

Observations:

The print sample DPA measurement was reduced by almost 50%.

The spore solution DPA samples were reduced by almost 70%.

Each of the three samples remained viable, but presented a decrease in aggressive growth.

Recommendations:
If you live in a large city that is likely to irradiate mail, ship spore samples from a neighboring town to reduce chances of outgoing mail iiradiation.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Ainasko]
    #1614251 - 06/06/03 08:59 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

OfflineMetaMountain
New hand

Loc: FromSoFarAwayYouWontBelie...
Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: Ainasko]
    #1614255 - 06/06/03 09:04 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

That was some info alright......!!....but...but Is that you in the Avatar? :blush:..... 

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1614260 - 06/06/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Great Job! Awsome Observation!!! Keep up the great work!!! :smile: 

Thanks so much.  I have other ongoing experiments and others in design. I will present the related ones as they conclude.

Quote:

That was some info alright......!!....but...but Is that you in the Avatar?

It is. 

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1614285 - 06/06/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

My apologies, Moderators. I know this was only indirectly related to growing and possibly in the wrong forum, but I felt it would benefit the most here.

--------------------

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
    #1614482 - 06/06/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Wow,  You do learn something new everyday!

:smile: :smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: kindkesey]
    #1614668 - 06/06/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

just another reason making your own prints is better :smile:

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1614721 - 06/06/03 01:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

thats some great info.
5 shrooms to you.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflinestraberyShRoOMCaKe
Loc: tHe LaNd 0f MiLk & H0neY
Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: 40oz]
    #1614863 - 06/06/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Good job with the research sister!! Keep up the good work :grin: 

--------------------

InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
    #1615412 - 06/06/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Irradiation might explain some of the problems I've been having.

Then again, maybe I'm just a lame-ass noob...

Thanks for the info. As soon as I can vote, you got 5 shrooms from me. (Weird thing is, I could vote on people up until today...)

--------------------
Sarcasm just one of my many talents.

Edited by LucidDream (06/06/03 06:27 PM)

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

#1615446 - 06/06/03 06:46 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The percentage of U.S. mail being irradiated is extremely low.

Currently only mail being sent to key federal govt. agencies/buildings are being treated.

Do research and you'll see this is true, in fact, there has been a decrease in this treatment after U.S. Mail handlers and other federal employees began complaining of feeling ill after opening mail.

Offlinemycophat
Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: boxtop703]
    #1615555 - 06/06/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I hate to say it boxtop but her report says differently.

And Ainasko I dont know if anyone ever told you but you look alot like Katie Holmes and are quite attractive (All that and brains too somebody either IS or will be a lucky man or woman). I'm not trying to be a perv or coming on to you its just my observation sorry if I was out of line or offended you.

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: mycophat]
    #1615567 - 06/06/03 07:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Actually her report doesn't mention percentage of mail being treated, so it doesn't say differently.

Also, the only mail being irradiated is incoming mail to certain zip codes in certain large cities and not outgoing as she stated. That's a huge difference.

Edited by boxtop703 (06/06/03 08:23 PM)

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1616235 - 06/07/03 07:52 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Also, the only mail being irradiated is incoming mail to certain zip codes in certain large cities and not outgoing as she stated. That's a huge difference.

Prior to this experiment, the USPS was contacted to seek information in regards to their irradiation program. They were, without surprise, reluctant to give information over the telephone. It was only after interaction by and documentation from a university administrator that useful information was obtained.

None of the info released in this report was considered confidential.

The practice of irradiating mail has not decreased and, in fact, was a procedure performed well before 9/11. Federal funding, under the homeland security act, has made way for expansion.

Currently and oddly enough, the typical mail batches that are irradiated are outgoing from large metropolitan cities. The reasoning we were provided was that statistic profiling suggested the likeliness of a biological attack would come from a major city to a major city.

Other opportunities of irradiation are incoming mail from suspect countries, mail to major government buildings and likely targets of opportunity.

Regarding any reported illnesses deriving from irradiation, all symptoms were found to have other causes. 30-35 kiloGrays are used to irradiate mail. This process of irradiation is via a sealed conveyor belt. KiloGrays in that amount are not enough to render items radioactive. It was considered to be mass hysteria. They believed there were lethal doses of radiation and their imaginations made it true.

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: Irradiated spores. [Re: mycophat]
    #1616242 - 06/07/03 08:04 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

And Ainasko I dont know if anyone ever told you but you look alot like Katie Holmes and are quite attractive (All that and brains too somebody either IS or will be a lucky man or woman). I'm not trying to be a perv or coming on to you its just my observation sorry if I was out of line or offended you.

No offense taken. Although I don't see the resemblance, I'll accept it as a kind compliment.

Here's a funny story.

Someone once gave me free tickets to a Naomi Judd concert so I went. Country isn't my thing, but the tickets were free.

After the show, I was looking for my friends car and an older woman asked if I was Ashley Judd. It didn't register at first what she asked so I just smiled waiting for her to repeat herself.

Someone nearby heard her say "Ashley Judd" and said it again. Almost instantly, a bunch of people were coming to me and for a few minutes, and I know I shouldn't have, I signed autographs as Ashley Judd. My fifteen minutes of fame was as someone else. What a waste, huh?

--------------------

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
    #1616245 - 06/07/03 08:05 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I don't live in U.S. and never heard of irradiation. But this is some really serious work! All i can do is to respect!  :wink:

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Edited by ph_plus (06/07/03 08:07 AM)

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

#1616280 - 06/07/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Regarding any reported illnesses deriving from irradiation, all symptoms were found to have other causes.

Not true.

It turns out that the interaction between the radiation and the plastic shrink wrap that were surrounding the federal documents were the underlying cause of the reported ilnesses. In DC this became a large problem with subsequent plans to change the method of treatment or change the way the documents are bundled.

This had nothing to do with mass hysteria. Not surprisingly as it was not the masses reporting feeling ill but rather the Federal document workers who's job it is to open and distribute tons of documents weekly.

Living in DC keeps me pretty current on news from the forefront.

Edited by boxtop703 (06/07/03 08:56 AM)

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1616304 - 06/07/03 09:22 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Regarding any reported illnesses deriving from irradiation, all symptoms were found to have other causes.

Not true.

It turns out that the interaction between the radiation and the plastic shrink wrap that were surrounding the federal documents were the underlying cause of the reported ilnesses.

True. The fumes produced were from heat. An indirect byproduct of irradiation, not the process itself.

As stated previously, all symptoms were found to have other causes. This problem was easily corrected by delaying the shrink wrap process.

Quote:

Not surprisingly as it was not the masses reporting feeling ill but rather the Federal document workers who's job it is to open and distribute tons of documents weekly.

That's partly true. The federal workers didn't believe they had radiation poisoning. They thought they had anthrax which had nothing to do with irradiation of mail or this topic.

Emergency rooms all over the country were flooded with people believing they had anthrax.

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1616461 - 06/07/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

boxtop703, I also sent the following info to your PM, but you probably get so much in addition to email so I'll post this as well.

I didn't realise you were TheLittleGuy.com. I've heard only good things. I understand why this is of such importance to you now.

I could possibly send you a radiation dosimeter card if you are concerned your local post office irradiates its mail.

Just return the card back to me for reading and I'll PM the results to you.

--------------------

Edited by Ainasko (06/07/03 11:14 AM)

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

#1616483 - 06/07/03 11:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I understand why this is of such importance to you now.

It's actually not important to me at all as the only mail being treated in the DC area is incoming mail destined for key govt. buildings.

It's little known but besides selling spores I/we also deliver private/gov bulk mail to the various main post offices in DC/MD/VA. It's what else we do for a living.

We know the USPS employees very well as they are our friends. We were unfortunate enough to be exposed to anthrax at the Brentwood facility. We went through the Cipro treatment, the whole nine yards.

We not only know the employees but also where the treatments are taking place. Currently all incoming mail to the key gov buildings are going through one treatment plant in N.VA. No outgoing mail is being treated.

We know this because it's our job to know this.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies