Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
My new hygrometer is pissing me off.
    #1614637 - 06/06/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yesterday I bought a new hygro/thermometer its a digital one by TFA
from germany its range is 10%rh to 99% rh.
The temp gauge works fine but the hygrometer gives all sorts of readings.
Now I dont know if this is normal but the humidity goes down when the temp goes up.
For example I tried to calibrate it as mentioned in the faq.
And earlier @ 15.1deg celc the hygometer read 86%Rh then
@17deg celc it read 89% Rh and this is temp increase to humidity decrease is consistent is this normal?
But right now
@18.2deg/celc inside the calibrating Bag 72% I shall heat it up in the bag Now.
@26deg/celc 80% but this probably makes sense(heating the wet salt increases humidity). So the calibrating test is done in what temp range???
When I put it in the terrarium with wet vermiculite at about 26deg/celc it maxes out at 99% what humidity is it usually in there (approx of course). Also humidity is measured in Realitave humidity but relative to what???
Any way its late here gotta go. Thanx

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

Re: My new hygrometer is pissing me off. [Re: trev]
    #1614683 - 06/06/03 03:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

relative to dry air. Dry air is 0%, and while it's raining humidity is 100%.

Offlinetrev
 User Gallery

Re: My new hygrometer is pissing me off. [Re: psilo9com]
    #1615794 - 06/07/03 12:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Do I have to post this in advanced cultivation?
Can any one tell me anything?
Thanks p9.

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Edited by trev (06/07/03 12:23 AM)

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
    #1615835 - 06/07/03 12:48 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

relative humidity isn't relative to dry air. It is relative to the maximum water holding capacity of the air. And, when temperature of the air increases, the maximum water holding capacity of hte air increases, meaning whatever water was in the air int he beginning is now a lower fraction of the total possible water the air can hold, when the temperature is increased, so when temperature is increased, if the amount of water in the air is the same, the relative humidity should go down. So, this is just a sign that your hygrometer is actually working very well. This is why there is dew in the morning, the humid air has cooled, lowering the water carrying capacity of the air, meaning water was forced to condense.

So I dont' quite know what to make of your readings, and as you can see I'm rather new here and have yet to even grow my first batch of mushrooms (not that I ever would since it is illegal). Hopefully however you can see that your hygrometer is likely working just fine. My friend is getting ready to set up all the stuff and fruit about 9 cakes and a 3 cake casing, so wish him luck! :smile:

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Offlinetrev
 User Gallery

Re: My new hygrometer is pissing me off. [Re: jong21]
    #1616075 - 06/07/03 04:37 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks & good luck friend.
I still need to know what readings people are getting in there terrariums @ 25deg/celc with the perlite humidity tek?? (just approximate)

--------------------

Anonymous #14

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: My new hygrometer is pissing me off. [Re: jong21]
    #1616108 - 06/07/03 05:25 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

> It is relative to the maximum water holding capacity of the air

Air doesn?t "hold" water, is doesn?t have a temperature dependant "water holding capacity". Air and water vapor coexist in the atmosphere, it?s not that one is holding another or vice versa.

More information:
http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadClouds.html

As for the table salt:
The vapor pressure of a saturated sodium chloride solution is nearly temperature independant in the range near the room temperature.

Offlinetrev
 User Gallery

Re: My new hygrometer is pissing me off. [Re: Anno]
    #1616297 - 06/07/03 11:12 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

"Air is not holding the water vapor in any sense. Further, if all the air is removed, the relationship between the equilibrium vapor pressure and temperature remains the same." As the site anno posted suggests.But it says "a cloud may form as the temperature drops".
So anno or any one can you tell me if I put my hygrometer (dry) in a bag (airtight)
And heated it there should be no fluctuations in the hygrometer readings.

--------------------

Anonymous #14

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
    #1616629 - 06/07/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, I understand this, I was just trying to simplify what is going on. The idea of what I said though is true. So I guess I could be more precise and say it is "relative to the maximum water vapor pressure at that tempurature" which yes does coexist with the air pressure. That is why the word "relative" is used. Haven't taken chemistry for a few years so it is still coming back to me, hehe.

And as far as your question trev, I think there would be a decrease in relative humidity in that situation, that is if you have a really good hygrometer.

So basically remember that humidity is actually just talking about the current vapor pressure of water, regardless of the air involved, and the higher the temperature the high the possible water vapor pressure.

If I'm wrong please let me know.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1619833 - 06/09/03 04:34 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

>if I put my hygrometer (dry) in a bag (airtight)
>And heated it there should be no fluctuations in the hygrometer readings

There should and there will be, since the vapor pressure of water and also of saturated table salt solution is temperature dependant.

So, if you put your hygrometer in an airtight container and heat it for let?s say 20?F the relative humidity will drop considerably.

If you have a saturated table salt solution at the bottom, the relative humidity will drop slightly. Thje absolute humidity (gram water per cubic meter of air) will stay the same, but one is interested in the relative humidity)

Give it a few hours to stabilize.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation