Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs?
    #1614463 - 06/06/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm at a point in my life where big decisions have to be made. I smoke alot of ganja and I trip fairly frequently. I consider these experiences to be an integral part of who I am. However, these things aren't very pragmatic... I'm considering leaving the 4 year institution I'm at for a tech school where I could be an EMP (EMT?). The problem is, or course, that I'll be drug tested if I work for a hosptial.

So I was wondering how others (older, perhaps) reconcile their professional ambitions and their lifestyle choices.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCougheeman
enthusiast
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: Malachi]
    #1614504 - 06/06/03 01:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well although i will give you a different example in terms of me, it applies to the same concept. Iam a vegetarian and me finding a profession in being a butcher would not fit along with my beliefs; so that is out of the question. I am unwilling to change my diet so i can become my "dream job"(just kidding).

So if you are unwilling to change your activities, then i would say the hospital is no go. But truly why is the reason you take these substances; iam not saying you shouldn't or advising against the use of these. Is it for spiritual unfoldment? or just the feeling?

--------------------
Aum Namah Sivaya

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: Cougheeman]
    #1614565 - 06/06/03 02:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

EMT, eh?
That's funny that you're worried about drug testing. I've run into several EMTs that were bigger stoners than myself (er, when I smoked heavily). In fact, I've heard similar accounts from other people.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1614590 - 06/06/03 02:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Same here, If i get a job, thats the beginning of the end of my life style of conscieousness develpment, in my opinon in order to become multi-dimensional, life can't anchor me to a "real world". If only i had away of just living by myself, with my drugs, and getting food, THATS IT, i don't care for much material things OR MONEY.

I understand what to do 2004 and beyond (providing the 4th is true and comes), but i have no idea what to do now!

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineCougheeman
enthusiast
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1614628 - 06/06/03 03:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Why must you end your life style of conscience development if you get a job?
Iam not sure how you are exactly saying it but drugs are meant as a guide, something to show you the presence of a higher force. What i am just saying is you can go into whatever field of profession or goal you might want to do and strive for it. Don't let a guidance substance get in the way, especially if its spiritual or conscious development you desire.

--------------------
Aum Namah Sivaya

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1614787 - 06/06/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I became self-employed. I realize that for you, at this point in your life with the profession you are to be engaged in that this is not an option. I would look at the possibilities in related fields or cut back on the Ganja until you are familiar with the practices of your employer in regards to drug testing after you are hired.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Anonymous

Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: Evolving]
    #1614806 - 06/06/03 03:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i find great satisfaction working in construction. i get to work outside all day... do physical work... build things... and the whole time, my mind is free, i philosophize, dream, and at the end of the day.. no worries, plus the work i did was rewarding. its the ultimate stress free job, which doesn't shift my mind into some mind-numbing job that i don't care about. my mind is free. my body is working.... its great. although i'm in college now, i can't wait to get out and work construction for as long as my heart desires :smile:

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1614947 - 06/06/03 05:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I recently left university after 3 years of an honours degree in computer science.

I left because it was beginning to interfere with my choice of lifestyle, as well as contradicting many of my personal ideas of life.

Job or Lifestyle?

The choice is up to each of us...but personally I would rather be poor and live life the way I want than be rich but held down by too many obligations and societal bullshit.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: trendal]
    #1614961 - 06/06/03 05:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm an artist. :laugh:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: Murex]
    #1615000 - 06/06/03 05:30 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It is all about personal choice. You have to figure out which is most important to you. But can you be sure? I'm luckily in a position that I can still provide for myself and the enjoy the right to my freedom. I hear people all of the time say that money isn't an issue for them, but will you always feel that way? If you can I say good for you. I want to be able to experience as much as possible in this world before I die, and in this world, that requires money. In your situation, is it worth some sacrifice now, for the ability to have more personal freedom later on?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (06/06/03 11:29 PM)

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1615347 - 06/06/03 07:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It is important to understand the wide implications of this problem. You can remove marijuana and hallucinogens from your diet for as long as you are working at the hospital. Remember, you won't be in that position forever. Your personal stance toward those substances has not changed, merely the frequency you ingest them. Surely you are not going to be asked to deny anyone else the freedom to make the same choices for themselves.

Also, working in a hospital puts you near many opportunities to accumulate positve merit by helping other people. This carries as glowing a reward for your heart as the hallucinogens may. With this in mind, marijuana and psychedelics may not have the highest priority in your mind.

How unfortunate it is that these two aspects of your life must conflict when they intersect.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: Ped]
    #1616020 - 06/07/03 03:21 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Love being an EDO.  I don't have to worry about things like that. :smile:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: how do you live your life in accordance with your beliefs? [Re: nubious]
    #1616040 - 06/07/03 03:59 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

you would still be able to trip, and once you got used to you're employers drug-screening habits, you might be able to smoke also. Although I personally choose to enter a line of work that is more in tune with my personality and lifestyle. I can't handle worrying about drug tests and stuff.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1616707 - 06/07/03 03:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Or you can do what my brother does, he always carries the bag-o-urine with him to work. He does whatever he wants.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology