Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Audubon's panaeolina foenisecii Photograph
    #1612420 - 06/05/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hi,

I just wanted to bring to one's attention the bad photo reproduction in the Audubon Field Guide for mushrooms.

This picture posted below is the hay Makers or hay mowers shroom kn0nw as panaeolina. While this is the mushroom, most of Lincoffs photographs inthe guide are all off color and very baly so if I may say so. I use to recommend this book becasue of the quantity of pictures in it but the quality is realy bad for id. Dozens of images are off-color and could be deadly to someone not knowning what they are looking for.

HEre is Lincoffs photo of panaeolina foenisecii

This is laebeld as photo number 26 with a generic description on page 606.,

I also wanted to mention that the knopbby looking cap in the image is remiscent of a collection identified for me by Tjakko Stijve as Panaeous olivaceus, however the olivaceus I collected also was banded otr zonate as the P. subbs and the foenisecii's.

mj

The brown color is not right for the genus, especoially the shiny slimy look on the caps.

mjshroomer

Of course there are a lot of P. foenisecii photos spread around the shroomer which chow the bands of color.

mj

mjshroomer

Edited by mjshroomer (06/05/03 05:38 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Audubon's panaeolina foenisecii Photograph [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1612490 - 06/05/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yup. thanks for brining that up

HE IS RIGHT ^^^^^^^

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1613270 - 06/05/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, that is a pretty bad representation of them...

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #1613791 - 06/06/03 02:10 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldn't be surprised that the mushroom pictured in Audubon could be a different species than what it was labeled.
While I would still recommend the Audubon field guide for someone to use in mushroom hunting, the book was written several years ago. At that time there was little info (compared to today) on the psilocybe containing species. Especially the  panaeolina group. I'm sure this caused a lot of the confusion as to the psycho-activity of panaeolina foeniscii. Some claimed it was active, others that it was not. (I believe Mj wrote an article dealing with this matter a few years ago). We now know  panaeolina foenisecii is not considered acitve, while they're are others in this genus that are active, that also resemble and grow in the same type habitat as panaeolina foenisecii.
It would be great if Audubon would up-date their field guide.Especially if they include more of the  magic species. :cool: Or just have a completely different book : "The Audubon Society Field Guide to Psilocybe Producing Mushrooms and Their Look-alikes That Confuse the Hell Out Of Everybody ".
Do you think I should get that title copyrighted?  :grin:

doo 

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Audubon's panaeolina foenisecii Photograph [Re: doo]
    #1614157 - 06/06/03 07:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yes doo, I also noticed that there is little or no accurate info on psilo species in the traditional books, especially regarding toxicity. I would love to get my hands on a guide that does describe the psilo species, perhaps even a guide that can advise as to activity of shrooms. Is there anyone who could point me in the right direction?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Audubon's panaeolina foenisecii Photograph [Re: koraks]
    #1614160 - 06/06/03 07:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Both of my books were pioneers int hat field of dosage. My Magic Mushrooms of the Pacific northwest provided clicical dossages for many species in 1976.

In 1978 I made the Safe-Pik guide with dosages. This was followed by Haard and Haard's Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushrooms book. They gave dosages for P. stuntzioi and liberty caps.. The stragight field guides will not contribute to the drug subculture by putting in dosages for drug users to utilize.

As I mentioned, Lincoff also edited the Simon and Schulster Guide at the same time he did the Audubon guide and Simon and Schulster would not allow him to even put a single Psilocybe image into their book.

mj

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1614398 - 06/06/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, thats a pretty craptastic pic of Pan foens. The sun had already destroyed the color on the caps.
No good :frown:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Audubon's panaeolina foenisecii Photograph [Re: Gumby]
    #1614464 - 06/06/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I noticed that many of the pictures int he guide tend to have a yellow bronzz color to them indicationg the color separationint he printing was out of alignment.

mj

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1614497 - 06/06/03 11:57 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I've got quite a few pictures in my book where you can tell the printing was messed up.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds