Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Finland
Sterilization ? part.2
    #1613603 - 06/06/03 02:43 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I previously asked how to sterilize the cakes without a pressure boiler...

I got an answer:
"Boil them in a pot, with a lid for an hour. It works fine (steaming them)"

.. How is this done / Any pics ?

Or do i just put the cakes to the pot and start to boil them ? (it would burn them, wtf ?)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Sterilization ? part.2 [Re: v1ru5]
    #1613616 - 06/06/03 02:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You can sterilize the jars using a big pot with a lid.
In this case steam the jars for 1.5 hours in a pot lid on. Use only approximately 1 inch of water at the bottom. Use a rack.
You might have to add some water to the pot during steaming due to evaporation.

Re: Sterilization ? part.2 [Re: Anno]
    #1614110 - 06/06/03 08:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is what I do:

Put the jars in a pot (I assume you know how to make PF jars with tin foil over the top etc.). Choose the pot so that a lid fits over the jars.
Put some water in the pot, so the jars don't drift (I use plastic jars which tend to drift quite easily. If you use glass jars which won't drift, you can add more water. More is better in this case.)
Take the water to a boil, and keep it at a slow boil for an hour or an hour and a half.
Don't forget to add some water now and then to prevent your jars from ending up on the dry bottom of the pot! You can imagine what happens from there. (If you can't: with plastic jars, you end up with no jars and an extremely difficult to clean cooking pot, with glass jars, eventually the glass will crack, but before that, the substrate will have cooked dry on the bottom of the jar.)

After the boiling period of your choice, let everyting cool down. Don't put the hot jars in the fridge, just be patient and let it all cool down to room temperature.

Oh, one more note: take care that no water can enter the jars via the inoculation holes in the lids. Mycelium won't grow on soggy substrate. Don't close the inoculation holes however, as this would cause problems when the air in the jars expands during the cooking process.

User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Sterilization ? part.2 [Re: koraks]
    #1614113 - 06/06/03 08:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Fractional sterilization or tyndallization is a method used to destroy bacteria and endospores in preparation of grain spawn(rye, wheat, millet, birdseed...) and agar, which requires no pressure cooker.
In this case, the jars fitted with a filter disc or a polyfill lid filter are boiled or steamed at 212?F (100?C) for 30 min in a pot with lid, three days in a row. Between the boiling steps the jars are kept warm, around 30?C(but room temperature will work too), to allow the remaining endospores to germinate.
The basic principle behind this method is that any resistant endospores will germinate after the first heating and therefore be susceptible to killing during the second and third heating.

Timetable of the tyndallization (=fractional sterilisation) process

1) Steam heating to 100 ?C for 30 min
Vegetative cells are destroyed but endospores survive

2) Incubate at 30?C-37?C overnight
Most bacterial endospores germinate

3) Second heat treatment, 100 ?C, 30 min
Germinated spores are killed

4) Second incubation at 30?C-37 ?C overnight
Remaining endospores germinate

5) Third heat treatment, 100 ?C, 60 min
Last remaining germinated endospores are killed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------from shroomery.org

Admin @ mycotopia.net

User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Sterilization ? part.2 [Re: Hippie3]
    #1614115 - 06/06/03 08:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i've always had pretty dismal luck just steaming pf cakes, the failure rate is much higher than pressure cooking so you might want to consider going the repeated-steaming route described in the post above. even though that's intended for grains the same principles still apply so doing it over the next day can't hurt and just might save you a few jars that would otherwise be lost.

Admin @ mycotopia.net

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation