Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHashbuble
Mycocentric Mutha Fucker
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Worlds oldest weed stash found!
    #16129532 - 04/23/12 05:21 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28034925/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/worlds-oldest-marijuana-stash-totally-busted/#.T5XjKdXpzTs

Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.

A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties and casts doubt on the theory that the ancients only grew the plant for hemp in order to make clothing, rope and other objects.

They apparently were getting high too.

Lead author Ethan Russo told Discovery News that the marijuana "is quite similar" to what's grown today.

"We know from both the chemical analysis and genetics that it could produce THC (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase, the main psychoactive chemical in the plant)," he explained, adding that no one could feel its effects today, due to decomposition over the millennia.

Russo served as a visiting professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Botany while conducting the study. He and his international team analyzed the cannabis, which was excavated at the Yanghai Tombs near Turpan, China. It was found lightly pounded in a wooden bowl in a leather basket near the head of a blue-eyed Caucasian man who died when he was about 45.

"This individual was buried with an unusual number of high value, rare items," Russo said, mentioning that the objects included a make-up bag, bridles, pots, archery equipment and a kongou harp. The researchers believe the individual was a shaman from the Gushi people, who spoke a now-extinct language called Tocharian that was similar to Celtic.
Advertise | AdChoices

Scientists originally thought the plant material in the grave was coriander, but microscopic botanical analysis of the bowl contents, along with genetic testing, revealed that it was cannabis.

Weird science award winnersThe size of seeds mixed in with the leaves, along with their color and other characteristics, indicate the marijuana came from a cultivated strain. Before the burial, someone had carefully picked out all of the male plant parts, which are less psychoactive, so Russo and his team believe there is little doubt as to why the cannabis was grown.

What is in question, however, is how the marijuana was administered, since no pipes or other objects associated with smoking were found in the grave.

"Perhaps it was ingested orally," Russo said. "It might also have been fumigated, as the Scythian tribes to the north did subsequently."

Although other cultures in the area used hemp to make various goods as early as 7,000 years ago, additional tomb finds indicate the Gushi fabricated their clothing from wool and made their rope out of reed fibers. The scientists are unsure if the marijuana was grown for more spiritual or medical purposes, but it's evident that the blue-eyed man was buried with a lot of it.

"As with other grave goods, it was traditional to place items needed for the afterlife in the tomb with the departed," Russo said.

The ancient marijuana stash is now housed at Turpan Museum in China. In the future, Russo hopes to conduct further research at the Yanghai site, which has 2,000 other tombs.

--------------------
The mushrooms just keep following me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletr20josh
Boomer
Male User Gallery

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Hashbuble]
    #16129575 - 04/23/12 05:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is from 2008, it's been posted several times.  Cool story though

InvisibleHashbuble
Mycocentric Mutha Fucker
 User Gallery

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: tr20josh]
    #16129590 - 04/23/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, sorry did'nt notice, kinda stoned.

--------------------

OfflineMr. Wilson
experienced weiner rubber
Male

Loc: Weinerville, Flag
    #16129591 - 04/23/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

really i wouln't mind reading it anyway though--im bored--it would be nice to get some of those seeds huh?

--------------------

Invisibletr20josh
Boomer
Male User Gallery

#16129598 - 04/23/12 05:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Haha no worries man.  I probably wouldn't have noticed either if I was stoned.

And I doubt those seeds themselves would be viable, but I'm sure there's a way to clone the genetics somehow and get them into a viable seed.  I'd love to see what kind of bud they were smoking 2700 years ago

OfflineMr. Wilson
Male

#16129613 - 04/23/12 05:38 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

have you ever read the article in high times about the weed that was in vietnam that the old timers talk about?

--------------------

InvisibleHashbuble
Mycocentric Mutha Fucker
 User Gallery

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: tr20josh] * 3
    #16129614 - 04/23/12 05:38 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tr20josh said:

And I doubt those seeds themselves would be viable, but I'm sure there's a way to clone the genetics somehow and get them into a viable seed.  I'd love to see what kind of bud they were smoking 2700 years ago

B.C bud

--------------------

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #16129624 - 04/23/12 05:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hashbuble said:
Quote:

tr20josh said:

B.C bud

:ilold:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Ran-D] * 1
    #16129881 - 04/23/12 06:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is not your grandfather's weed. :nono:

--------------------

InvisibleBlueIndian
Maestro
 User Gallery

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16130181 - 04/23/12 07:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

First I've heard of this. Funny it was found near a blue eyed caucasions head..lol....can you say 'pothead'? And the region he was found might suggest he was a cannabis tourist...much like ppl go to Holland and elsewhere just for that reason. Interesting they can tell it was a 'cultivated' strain where males had been removed...obviously there were no seeds in it. Just goes to show we as humans have always sought some 'enlightenment' ....the gov't just wants to claim it's something new and dangerous to society when it's probably been a part of human lifestyle since day one....:rastana:

OfflineMr. Wilson
Male

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Mr. Wilson]
    #16130207 - 04/23/12 08:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Wilson said:
have you ever read the article in high times about the weed that was in vietnam that the old timers talk about?

there's supposedly a strain of pure sativa in 'nam that supposed to be the bomb diggity according to some of the soldiers that were there--said the stuff is paranoid inducing to the extreme--said in high times--so when ya pa tells you that stuff there is BS the stuff we had in MY day yada yada-hes probly tellin the truth

--------------------

Offlinekingkey24
Stranger
Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Mr. Wilson]
    #16130260 - 04/23/12 08:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

how would the know his eyes are blue? i call bs on the eyes part of the story

OfflineLinus
Chief Bromden
 User Gallery

Loc: Cripple Creek
Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: kingkey24]
    #16130272 - 04/23/12 08:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I thought it was in some egyptian tomb?

--------------------
I've done a lot of drugs in the past, I still do.

Abracadabra

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Linus]
    #16130309 - 04/23/12 08:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Nope. But i wouldn't at all be surprised if the ancient Egyptians toked up a bit too.

Invisibletrip forever
Stranger

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: BlueIndian]
    #16130476 - 04/23/12 08:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BlueIndian said:
First I've heard of this. Funny it was found near a blue eyed caucasions head..lol....can you say 'pothead'? And the region he was found might suggest he was a cannabis tourist...much like ppl go to Holland and elsewhere just for that reason. Interesting they can tell it was a 'cultivated' strain where males had been removed...obviously there were no seeds in it. Just goes to show we as humans have always sought some 'enlightenment' ....the gov't just wants to claim it's something new and dangerous to society when it's probably been a part of human lifestyle since day one....:rastana:

Use of drugs has been around since the beginning of man.

--------------------

InvisibleCounterCulturest
-Positive Mental Attitude-

Loc: Nesting on modems
    #16130511 - 04/23/12 09:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Hashbuble said:
Quote:

tr20josh said:

B.C bud

:rofl::thumbup:

OfflineLeon Ferrum
environmentalist know-it-all
Male User Gallery

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: CounterCulturest]
    #16130633 - 04/23/12 09:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

How is this thread not closed yet?  There have been way older weed stashes discovered since then.  use the search thing people.

InvisibleHashbuble
Mycocentric Mutha Fucker
 User Gallery

Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Leon Ferrum]
    #16130651 - 04/23/12 09:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Wow, somebodys grumpy :bigjoint:

--------------------

InvisibleCounterCulturest
-Positive Mental Attitude-

Loc: Nesting on modems
Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: Leon Ferrum]
    #16130731 - 04/23/12 09:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Leon Ferrum said:
How is this thread not closed yet?  There have been way older weed stashes discovered since then.  use the search thing people.

:sploosh:

Offlinemukhail
Creeper

Loc: Antarctica
Re: Worlds oldest weed stash found! [Re: CounterCulturest]
    #16130841 - 04/23/12 10:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I bet king tut only smoked chronic

Edited by mukhail (04/24/12 01:18 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals