Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Loc: far away from home
Bird seed contamed?
    #1610932 - 06/05/03 09:42 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, a newbie here...
This is my first experience trying to grow. I purchased presterilized bird seed in the full pint size jars. A couple of the jars look to have mold where they were innoculated 10 days ago. I've segregated the 2 jars, uncertain as to whether or not it was mold or wetness as I now know I used too many cc's of innoculate.
Long story short, I dumped one of these suspected jars out yesterday and instead of mold it does look to be just wet. The natural darkness and variety of color with the birdseed makes it difficult to tell through the glass. I've read here on the FAQs that this can lead to contam and I've also read that I've made two mistakes - too much water injected along with the pint jars that may take too long to colonize.
Am I doomed?
Does anyone else out there use bird seed and if so did you have trouble recognizing contams?
Thanks in advance.

--------------------

There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Bird seed contamed? [Re: cyndyl]
    #1611035 - 06/05/03 10:34 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Wet spots are not a good sign and could be problematic. Get worried if any liquid starts building up at the bottom and/or something smells bad.
As advice, if you find bird seed somewhat difficult to work with and keep getting contams, you should try using rye or popcorn berries. The techniques are different but i personally find popcorn easy to handle and not so prone to contams.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Re: Bird seed contamed? [Re: MAIA]
    #1611959 - 06/05/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

MAIA,
Thanks so much for the advice. Being new to this there's so much to decide. When I order the stuff 3 months ago I didn't even know what subs would go with what spores etc.
I'm going to prepare my own substrate next time cause it keeps cropping up in my mind that maybe the substrate wasn't properly sterilized, etc. I think doing the 1/2 pint sizes might be easier for a newbie like me too.
Thanks again!

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Bird seed contamed? [Re: cyndyl]
    #1612124 - 06/05/03 03:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You should try good old PF Tek first. Going with grain substrates is a good idea and yields are better but trying PF first will reduce considerably a later learning curve with grains. I think because it's easier to get it first with PF Tek, i mean, growing it's not only choosing a good substrate, it's also the ability to work and be at ease with the several stages of the process, if you don't have problems with PF Tek use it because you have more probabilities to try other stages.
Also with grain, you'll have to make casings with the substrate, like working with grains instead of PF, it's better but you'll have to learn how to do them. Cakes is just birth and go.
Btw, when i started i only knew mushrooms grow when it rains and they make a good meal, learning all this stuff requires patience and some devotion... or better yet, patience will always be the key to the ones with devotion.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Re: Bird seed contamed? [Re: MAIA]
    #1612518 - 06/05/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi again MAIA,
I've already order some Golden Teacher spores and bought some brf, vermiculite and 1/2 pints. Definitely going to go with the PF method.
I can say that this first try has taught me a lot. The abundance of information can be a bit overwhelming at first but my confidence that I can do this is building.
Thanks for the support. I love this bullentin board,
Cyndyl

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags