Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekillsme
Strangest

Loc: que, canada
Meditation problem
    #16119139 - 04/21/12 04:35 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

hey, im having a hard time meditating because i cant help swallowing my spit, every minute at least and it makes like a tight clenching feeling in my throat which makes it harder to relax.

Does anyone else who meditates have this problem?

--------------------
iron maiden
rocks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSymbols
§✪λⓡɕHⒶŠƎƦ

Re: Meditation problem [Re: killsme] * 1
    #16119150 - 04/21/12 04:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That is a product of what is known as Monkey-Mind. Your active, threat-detecting, problem-solving apparatus is searching for conflict resolution. It manifests as uncomfortable posture and those remembrances of "oh, I should do this now."

Don't follow it, by actually following it. Watch yourself observing it and it will dissolve away as another thought. Just another echo in the hallway.

--------------------

OfflineOasis182
Stranger

Re: Meditation problem [Re: Symbols]
    #16119210 - 04/21/12 06:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yes! I know the feeling.  I never knew that you weren't supposed to swallow during meditation, but then again I guess you're right it does interfere with complete relaxation.  I also get this problem at the dentist! I HATE being in that chair and not being able to use my swallow muscles properly, it makes my mind go into freak out mode and want to punch my dentist in the face and run.

Offlinekillsme
Strangest

Re: Meditation problem [Re: Symbols]
    #16119299 - 04/21/12 07:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i know the only way to stop doing it is to stop doing, idk why i keep looking for an easier way.

Buts its much easier to brush off a thought then a irritating feeling. I can usually forget about itches without scratching it, but all that saliva i just cant control, ill be drooling the whole fing time.

--------------------
iron maiden
rocks

Offlinekillsme
Strangest

Re: Meditation problem [Re: Oasis182]
    #16119300 - 04/21/12 07:33 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah well.. everything about the dentist wants to make you punch him in the face and run, it is known

--------------------
iron maiden
rocks

OfflineOasis182
Stranger

Re: Meditation problem [Re: killsme]
    #16120906 - 04/21/12 04:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I thought swallowing was kinda like breathing, in the sense that's it's just something our bodies do naturally and automatically.  Trying to force yourself not to swallow seems like it could interrupt complete relaxation more than swallowing like we do all day everyday (and in our sleep).

Offlinekillsme
Strangest

Re: Meditation problem [Re: Oasis182]
    #16127590 - 04/23/12 08:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

when i meditate im aware and very much concious of my breathing and if i swallow my spit.

But thats the problem if i swallow i get this tightness in my throat, and if i dont i got all this spit in my mouth and the uncontrollable urge to swallow which makes it harder just to relax.

--------------------
iron maiden
rocks

InvisibleBoldAsLove
Pokemon Master

Loc: Kanto Region
Re: Meditation problem [Re: killsme] * 2
    #16127653 - 04/23/12 08:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It sounds like you are trying to relax when you meditate. Don't. The goal of meditation is not relaxation, just observation without judgement. When you have to swallow, don't judge it, just observe the whole process. If you find yourself judging it, don't judge yourself, just notice the judging. Whatever comes up during mindfulness is okay, just sit with it and observe it.

--------------------
DISCLAIMER: None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor :alientransform: and Ferdinand :cigar:, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Meditation problem [Re: killsme] * 2
    #16128084 - 04/23/12 11:04 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's just a natural process as noted above.

I guess I do it during meditation. I've never really paid attention to it though.

Just let it be. Don't even think about it or you're never going to get over it.

Meditation means a lot of different things to different people. There's no set standard.

Example - I've gotten to the point in meditation where it's almost like flicking a switch. Everything just stops. I've built worlds in my head for where I wanna go. I noticed that once I laid out these different, peaceful worlds of bliss that removing myself from my body was easier.

I just had a shitload of incredibly painful shots in my neck, shoulders and spine. It only took a deep breath and closing my eyes until I was on a beach, midsummer, hearing the waves crash and watching the beautiful light coming from the sun. My wife had to pull me out of it when the procedure was done.

It's hard to say "think of nothing" because you'll still be thinking. The separation of the Self was my first step to meditating.

And by no means do I sit cross-legged with candles and incense and shit.

Meditate your own way. Stop worrying about salivating. Takes practice and patience but can have an immense payoff.

Seems I got on a bit of a tangent there but I hope that helps in some way.

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Meditation problem [Re: Adden]
    #16128124 - 04/23/12 11:22 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Breath through your nose and keep your focus at your nostrils and you will forget about your saliva.
Like Boldaslove stated, do not react when your focus is drawn away from your breath. Remain calm and equanimous as you bring your focus back to your breath.

Do not count your breaths, do not control your breathing.
Simply watch the physical sensation of breath passing in and out of your nostrils as it naturally occurs.

To observe without reaction is to perceive reality as it truly is.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: Meditation problem [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #16128180 - 04/23/12 11:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Dont try to not think about it, dont think about it. Swallowing is just like breathing, your usually not aware of it, you dont have to be aware about it to do it.

Offlinekillsme
Strangest

#16128813 - 04/23/12 02:36 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

today was better with the spit swallowing actually, but i have anxiety and a constant tension in my chest/throat (shittiest feeling ever)

this was the main reason which i started meditating, to see if i can calm this tension feeling. I try to concentrate on it at the same time as my breath, it sort of rides my breath. The tension goes up and down but not away.

--------------------
iron maiden
rocks

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #16128930 - 04/23/12 03:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Don't try to control the sensations, just observe them. Stop reacting.

Everything is impermanent, including you and me.
Eventually the sensation will fade away, but not by aversion; that will just obscure it and bury it deep.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #16128939 - 04/23/12 03:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I cant stand swallowing my spit. Therefore I think I got some sorta safety mechanism that doesnt even allow it to build up....or I just have a dry mouth.

Offlinekillsme
Strangest

Re: Meditation problem [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #16131729 - 04/24/12 02:08 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

have you tried meditating on shrooms?

i dont suppose that would work well..

--------------------
iron maiden
rocks

Invisiblepassifloracaerulea
 User Gallery

#16131880 - 04/24/12 03:03 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i guess for me the closest i've been able to get to meditation is through flint knapping. i've tried to not think during quiet type meditation for many years and could never get past that barrier. with knapping i can focus on that one object, and all of my scattered thoughts about my responsibilities and other worries completely disappear. the world in the periphery of my vision gets bright and foggy and the knapping is all that exists. i just strike and grind in a pattern that's set by the laws of conchoidal fracture. it's all i'm thinking about but it comes so naturally now that there is nothing to really think about at all, yet the mind is still centered. when i do look up, it feels like waking from a dream. this is my only grasp on what meditation could possibly mean to other people.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag