Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblearago
Mr. Wind Up Bird
Male

CFM
    #16111246 - 04/19/12 11:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is the second time I've tried to grow Agrocybe aegerita.  This picture demonstrates why I'm looking to improve upon fresh air exchange.

So I want to get a plenum fan to blow into convection tubing.  I just don't know what size to get.  Is bigger better?  My first post (Flimsy Metal Shed) suggested complete overkill [360 CFM@.8 static pressure]

Now I'm looking at ducted fans that vary from 1,000 to 3,000 CFM @.05 static pressure.  There are those on the Shroomery who get this stuff, but after much study, I'm still confused. 

And when I look for support, I have people say, "You want to spend $400 for a fan?  I can put in an exhaust fan for $8."

And to compound my confusion, I now have an opportunity to move my grow room into a bigger building. 

This is the 2nd grant I've written for the Mushroom Project at my school.  The first one - I found that the biggest capital outlay was well worth it and the most valuable: a large flowhood and a 925 All American.  So whatever I buy now will be what I have to work with for the next decade, and I want to make intelligent decisions. 
(I know it's an oversimplification to say I'm an English major, and get confused by all the math, but it's sort of the truth.)

Anybody have some suggestions for me?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: CFM [Re: arago]
    #16111527 - 04/19/12 12:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This may help...

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: CFM [Re: arago]
    #16114272 - 04/19/12 11:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

arago said:
This is the second time I've tried to grow Agrocybe aegerita.  This picture demonstrates why I'm looking to improve upon fresh air exchange.

That's not an air exchange issue. 

The substrate didn't fully colonize on the bottom for whatever reason, and you're supposed to use a casing layer on swordbelts.  Cut the bag right down to the top of the casing.  Those look like they were fruiting invito and just didn't do well when the bag was cut away.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: CFM [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16115397 - 04/20/12 08:12 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah it looks like the bottom of the bag not being colonized is the first thing you want to look at.  Also, casing are NOT required, though they may provide better results(i need to experiment).  I have been getting good flushes from un-cased blocks, enough so to sell 5lb boxes of them to restaurants; which they cant get enough of here in the Midwest.

RR, what type of casing are you using for the swordbelts, and is it pasteurized?  Ive been looking for the best way to pasteurize casing before i experiment; just do it in a pot of hot H20 like straw?

Arago, for your fan size it depends on your situation; your need and wants.  Are you going to have an air handling system with a plenum containing filters and air heating/cooling capacity?  Are you just bring air straight in from outside only?  Are you mixing in recirculated air with fresh outside air?  IMO all of them change what type and size of fan you'd want.  For a quick fix, i generally get an extra large inline fan(up-size from your plans) with a speed controller attached to run it at a lower setting than full.  But if you have the time/resources to make an air handling system i would suggest a system similar to that found in GG&MM By Stamets.  I just installed the ability to recirculate the air in my FC back through the main air filter/handling system, which i have a hunch is going to work wonders for me. Any more details, specific diagrams/plans, for your FAE and air circulation system would be helpful.

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: CFM [Re: Aleon]
    #16115449 - 04/20/12 08:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Aleon said:
Also, casing are NOT required, though they may provide better results(i need to experiment).

Perhaps NOT required, but if you want to double or triple the amount of product, case.  I have ten swordbelt strains and have just finished a strain test on all of them by testing cased vs. non-cased, various substrates and casing mixes, and various lighting schedules with each strain.

About the only parameter which held true for all strains is that a casing layer applied at the right time makes the difference between 25% to 50% BE uncased and 100% BE and above for cased.  My casing mixture which proved best for Aa was 40/40 peat-verm plus 20% shredded bark, buffered to pH-8 with wood ashes, and supplemented for calcium and sulfur with gypsum.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #16115809 - 04/20/12 10:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm glad that there are people that are smarter than me around...
:thumbup:

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
    #16123432 - 04/22/12 07:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Aleon said:
Also, casing are NOT required, though they may provide better results(i need to experiment).

Perhaps NOT required, but if you want to double or triple the amount of product, case.  I have ten swordbelt strains and have just finished a strain test on all of them by testing cased vs. non-cased, various substrates and casing mixes, and various lighting schedules with each strain.

About the only parameter which held true for all strains is that a casing layer applied at the right time makes the difference between 25% to 50% BE uncased and 100% BE and above for cased.  My casing mixture which proved best for Aa was 40/40 peat-verm plus 20% shredded bark, buffered to pH-8 with wood ashes, and supplemented for calcium and sulfur with gypsum.
RR

Interesting, i will definitely have to try casing.  Is your mix pasteurized?  Id still prefer not to case unless you really do get 2-4 times more mushrooms as you stated. If you have any more results you'd be willing to share from your Aa tests it would be most appreciated.  So far, I have had success with pinning within the bag, allow for 1/2" to 2" pins to form, then opening bag and putting into the FC at an automated 85-95% RH.  No shiitakes in that FC anymore so i feel i may be able to get around a casing because i can bring up the humidity to any level with the mushroom humidifan.  I started automating my H2oing and humidity cycles; i never hand misted or watered for 5 days(was super busy; i tried to pretend i was away traveling for 5 days) and got the best crop i have ever grown.  I didnt walk into the FC for but 5 minutes a day to make sure all the equipment was running properly.  Automation is the key to being able to actually live a life, as a cultivator (it really is so time/NRG consuming for a 1 man grow).  But i have recently started scratching the surface of the block for Aa, misting them, and re-closing the bag for 1-2 weeks(a la bottle grower methods, before being introduced to the FC. So far the results look promising, but ill know soon enough.

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: CFM [Re: Aleon]
    #16123569 - 04/22/12 08:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Let them form pimordia in the bag, but then strip it off and place the casing layer over them at that time.  If you wait for 2" fruits, it's already too late.  We often move the fully colonized bags into the grow room so they get a few days of bright light before tearing the top of the bag off and applying casing.  This light exposure to the naked substrate almost always generates primordia, which are then cased.  I found this works better than applying the casing either earlier or later.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate