Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJujufish
7 days no mycelium...
    #1610692 - 06/05/03 07:12 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I inoculated 7 drinking glasses last friday (each exactly 236ml) with Psilocybe cubensis, and have yet to see any growth what so ever. I used BRF and vermiculite tek and pressure cooked the glasses for 55 min. The glasses are covered in tin foil exactly like the tek explained, and kept in a 80-85* enviorment. I can think of 2 mistakes I made so far, and was wondering if these would make a difference...

1. When I inoculated the glasses, I didnt inject on the very edge of the glass. Instead I injected about 1/2" away from the edge.

2. I forgot to heat the end of the needle while inoculating 2 of the glasses. I marked those 2, but they show no signs of contamination or growth like the other glasses.

As soon as I download photoshop ( or any other program that changes pics to .jpg format), Ill post pics of my terrarium and glasses. If anyone has advice or questions to try and help me, please post them here.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: Jujufish]
    #1610717 - 06/05/03 07:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

>Instead I injected about 1/2" away from the edge.

This is nothing to worry about, it will just take some time for the mycelium so show at the surface of the cake.

It?s not uncommon for the germination to take a few days longer than normally explained. As long you don?t see any contamination, you?ll have to show some more patience.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: Anno]
    #1610732 - 06/05/03 08:04 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Don't go and jump off bridges just yet. The germination/colonization speed depends on the condition you offer. You already mentioned the temperature, which is just fine. But what's more important is the amount of water in your substrate mix. Mycelium tends to grow very, very slowly of the substrate is too wet. Better have your substrate a bit too dry than too wet.

For now, just have some patience. The fact that you inoculated some distance from the glass is no problem. The reason why people inoculate at the glass is that you can see almost immediately when the mycelium starts to grow. You'll have to have a bit more patience.

OfflineJujufish
    #1623586 - 06/10/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Today is the 13th day with no signs of life inside the glasses.  I have all 7 of my glasses inside the terrarium now instead of the closet.  The temp in the terrarium is almost always 90 or 91and humidty is at 98%.  They have been in this enviorment for the last 6 days and still no growth.  Anyone have any suggestions or hypothesis I should try?  Again the strain is Psilocybe cubensis (Golden Teacher).  Should I go jump off a bridge yet  :wink:.  Thanks in advance 

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: Jujufish]
    #1623612 - 06/10/03 02:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1623638 - 06/10/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Why did you take them out of the closet? (your first set of conditions was more appropriate)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: longshot]
    #1623687 - 06/10/03 02:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Where did you get your spore syringe from, and how much solution did you inject into each glass? It's possible that your spores aren't viable, or that you didn't inject enough solution that any spores got into the glasses.

OfflineJujufish
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1623689 - 06/10/03 02:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I just took them out of the terrarium and back into the closet. I was under the impression that my closet didnt have enough humidity. The temp is from the air pump that sits in the middle of the terrarium is that too high of a temp for casings? I took the top layer of foil off one of the glasses and it smells kinda damp. The top layer of verm is still dry and bouces about when I shake it alittle. I could see more of the glass when I took the top layer of foil off, but still no signs of infection or mycelium.

OfflineJujufish
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: OJK]
    #1623698 - 06/10/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

When I first recieved my syringe via sporeworks.com, I noticed all the spores clumped at the top of the liquid. After a firm shake I could see very small particles floating around in the syringe so I guessed I had them seperated. I injected the first glass with about 2.25cc because I didnt realize that it came out with so little effort! The next 5 were about 1.25 -1.50cc and the last 2 shared 1.50cc. The syringe came with 10.0cc to use.

Invisiblekoraks
    #1623700 - 06/10/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, as you're obviously aren't bothered by contams, and the growing conditions are about right, I'd say the spores aren't viable. It happened to me too, and I know it's very frustrating.

Here's what I would do: go and order a spore print and make your own spore syringe. This way, you usually end up with a syringe that holds much more spores than commercially available syringes. Use your new home made syringe to inoculate some new jars, and see what happens. I bet you'll be in business then!

OfflineJujufish
Re: 7 days no mycelium... [Re: koraks]
    #1623728 - 06/10/03 03:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like a plan! I think im going to order from sporeworks again, but I already notice that the spore prints for most of the cubensis group and others are sold out. Would any of you recommend a diffrent spore bank in the US? And I was told by a firend that Psilocybe cubensis is the easyiest strain to grow, but thats coming from someone that just hunts local mushrooms. Do you think I should keep trying to grow Psilocybe cubensis, or switch to something else? And are all Psilocybe cubensis basically the same potency or differ widley from one another?

Thanks again for the quick responces

Edited by Jujufish (06/10/03 03:25 PM)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1623774 - 06/10/03 03:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have also bought from sporebank.com in the past, and found the spores to be of a low quality! If anyone else has had the same experience, please spread the word. Jujufish, check out any of the shroomery sponsers for spores.

I would say Cubensis is most definitely the way to go. Potency does vary between strains, but also depends on growing conditions and other factors, so it's probably best to start with a strain that's fairly easy to grow. Personally, I would recommend Amazonian or Golden Teacher as strains that are both potent and resiliant, but opinions differ, and there's a wealth of info on the message board already, check it out.

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
    #1623782 - 06/10/03 03:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Read the FAQ,
Read the FAQ again.
Use the search feature.
A lot.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation