Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Madtowntripper] * 2
    #16106299 - 04/18/12 11:39 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

but the Shroomery is, and always has been, racist as all hell.

:rolleyes:  If you think this place is racist as all hell then you are quite naive to the history and state of racism at large.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #16106324 - 04/18/12 11:46 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
I keep my mouth shut about it because I don't want to get into an argument with anyone (its just not worth it), but the Shroomery is, and always has been, racist as all hell.

Exactly how I feel. I haven't been around too long but it is blatantly obvious just from reading through threads in the pub. And also at any given time it seems like half of the threads are about racism. Sometimes I don't know if I'm on the shroomery or stormfront.

--------------------

Sartre on conciousness: "a being such that in its being, its being is in question in so far as this being implies a being other than itself."
Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek
Phish videos and discussion!

Edited by The_Aviator (04/18/12 11:48 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Rose]
    #16106336 - 04/18/12 11:50 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

It's not that hard.

1st, remove the racist/homophobic graemlins.

2nd, set a script that autobans any member using a racist/homophobic term, or it's not so clever variant. That won't catch all of them, but a good portion.

The banned member can file a support ticket and make their case to the admins.

A really clever script will see that Wiccan gets those.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblevaio
connoisseur

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: luvdemshrooms] * 2
    #16106357 - 04/18/12 11:54 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

Freedom of speech people!

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16106360 - 04/18/12 11:55 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

The Shroomery has always been quite tolerant of racism. Tolerant enough to have many a decent newb leave... while encouraging overt racists to stay. There is room for everyone here, but there is a reason why we have forums like OTD, The Romper Room, and some of the Supporter forums.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #16106366 - 04/18/12 11:56 AM (12 years, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
It's not that hard.

2nd, set a script that autobans any member using a racist/homophobic term, or it's not so clever variant. That won't catch all of them, but a good portion.

HA!

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #16106381 - 04/18/12 12:00 PM (12 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
It's not that hard.

that would be great by me since I'd then no longer hear the ever present
excuse of "I've seen a hundred others say the same or worse" in which case
I have to respond with "why didnt you use the " when you saw it

then of course I'm the asshole because they had no self control, kinda like
those that opt to make use of this thread to use racial slurs and make
excuses for their behavior regardless of the rules or knowing that it will
be offensive to some

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Prisoner#1] * 1
    #16106397 - 04/18/12 12:04 PM (12 years, 10 hours ago)

Its definitely taken to far. I tried to have an intellectual discussion between niggers and black people, and got banned for it.

I mean for fucks sake, its not racist if its not used in a derogatory manner.

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
    #16106456 - 04/18/12 12:20 PM (12 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
It's not that hard.

Why? Oh noes the bad man said a mean word on the internets, make him stop daddy!

Thats literally all I see in your post. Its a fuckin word, come on man. No one likes the gestapo. Dont like people throwing around racial slurs in a generally joking fashion. Leave.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #16106463 - 04/18/12 12:22 PM (12 years, 10 hours ago)

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Rose] * 3
    #16106715 - 04/18/12 01:44 PM (12 years, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

BlindSophist said:
However you twist it, "nigger" is definitely a bad word. I say it jokingly sometimes but I'm really careful about it because I have no illusions about it being a pretty bad word.

Yeah, but so are 'bitch', 'fuck' and 'whore'. And yet, nobody seriously complains about the members of this forum referring to women as 'bitches'. Oh yea, sure, there's been a thread on it, but there never was a rule against sexism. Should there be? I don't think so. If people have a thin and sensitive skin, then let hem GTFO and join the Disney forum or whatever. Do I think it's a good thing to seriously entertain ideologies based on racism, sexism or other forms of discrimination? Hell no. But that doesn't mean I want a forum rule and gestapo-like enforcement for every personal norm that I have.

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
the Shroomery is, and always has been, racist as all hell.

I doubt that. There's always been a lot of foul-mouthed name-calling going on here, but I think the actual percentage of true racists is very small. Sure, there are bound to be a few. Just as there are bound to be rapists, pederasts, violators end white-collar criminals among us. And within reasonable bounds, we allow those topics to be discussed in many forms. Somehow, it's different for racists. Now, that's discriminating.

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Poor Staffers. You miss the racism. Awwww. Now you have to think before you type. Don't like the rule? Don't moderate the forum. Better yet, discuss it in private amongst The Staff.

Oh well, sorry for taking this out into the open where you _have_ to read it. Like I said: this is where I stand. If you don't like it, then kindly fuck off. I meant that, and I still do. You don't get to see the warnings and bans that are issued on a daily basis for supposed racism. I do. Based on that experience, I say that it's been taken too far. One step further and I might just as well join the Born Again Christians message board. And yeah, that's a hyperbole. I know. But Shroomery is one of the places where openminded debate is supposed to be possible. Well, then I expect people to be able to open their minds at least far enough to understand that when someone says 'nigger', that doesn't mean that they believe every colored person should be hanged by the neck until their feet stop kickin'.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: koraks]
    #16106753 - 04/18/12 01:56 PM (12 years, 9 hours ago)

We actually see this in a similar light.

I really think there is a problem with blatant racism in some forums here, but I do not yet think the Shroomery has come up with the most efficient way to coral it.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Rose]
    #16106767 - 04/18/12 01:59 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Nor have they figured out a way to "corral" it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#16106775 - 04/18/12 02:01 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Fuck. Freudian slip. Was going to the beach when I wrote that.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#16106782 - 04/18/12 02:04 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Was going to the beach when I wrote that.

So you could have blamed it on a pothole then.

--------------------

InvisibleAlabama Slim
Chinese river witch

Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: koraks] * 1
    #16106801 - 04/18/12 02:09 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Most of the racism comes from otd, I always thought of otd like this:

. the admins and mods make puppets to express their opinions freely without backlash and play devils advocate.
. name changes
. ________ is in jail, please send money thread.
. profit???

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Rose] * 1
    #16106827 - 04/18/12 02:17 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
We actually see this in a similar light.

I really think there is a problem with blatant racism in some forums here, but I do not yet think the Shroomery has come up with the most efficient way to coral it.

Yeah, I can agree with that, although the blatant racism is mostly limited to OTD, and it's mostly debauchery there. As for the rest of the board, I think us mods can definitely corral it. If we can do so efficiently, well, I think that's an inherent characteristic of message boards: in order to moderate one effectively, you sometimes need to look into issues quite extensively. And that costs time; there's no easy fix. Just filtering certain words doesn't work in a place like this (in fact, it doesn't work very well at all). Obviously, the task of a moderator requires a bit more intelligence than simply triggering on certain words. And that's one of the reasons for my 'declaration'. It's quite subjective where you draw the line with issues like these, and my message is just a warning that we shouldn't move too far into one extreme or another. I think there should be some moderation in moderation.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: koraks]
    #16106846 - 04/18/12 02:22 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Agreed with you that it's probably a low percentage of actual virulent racists here.

I just see a ton of off-the-cuff, casual racism.

I'm not calling for it to be legislated against, or policed, or anything like that.  I've recognized it for a long time and I just accept that this is the kind of place this is, for whatever reason.

I don't know if most of the people that say "nigger" all the time use it on a daily basis amongst their friends or just say it here because it's the internet.  I'd like to think it's the latter, but who knows.

So agreed with you that it doesn't need any action taken to combat it, but not because it doesn't exist.  Only because to do so would be pointless.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: SlashOZ]
    #16106853 - 04/18/12 02:23 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

SlashOZ said:
i had no clue that the word nigger has a meaning beyond what humans give to it. Is nigger the only word with a universal/objective meaning? :facepalm:

Dude, I know I whip this out every conversation we have, but you're a friggin' law student. I expect better from you. This sounds like something from TPE. Legal precedents have no meaning beyond what humans give them either.

That word has an ugly history, it's offensive to many people for good reasons. It's not inherently racist to use it, but I personally find it more offensive than F-bombs or C-bombs and I'm not even black. For it to be inoffensive to me it must be mutilated into "niggah" or "negronaut."

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Am I the only person in the Pub who thinks this racism shit has been taken far enough? [Re: Sophistic Radiance] * 1
    #16106890 - 04/18/12 02:33 PM (12 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
So agreed with you that it doesn't need any action taken to combat it, but not because it doesn't exist.  Only because to do so would be pointless.

That's exactly where I'm coming from. I do think we should keep moderating actual racism. But I don't think we should ban some kids who just say 'nigger' a lot without having racist intentions. Because if you look at it, if I look at the ban records involving racism, the only common denominator is the word 'nigger' being in a post. And often, there is no clear evidence of the user actually voicing a racist sentiment. Other mods can do as they please, but I refuse to ban or even warn people for that. If they're overtly being racist, then yeah, obviously I'll swing the ban hammer too.

Quote:

BlindSophist said:
That word has an ugly history, it's offensive to many people for good reasons. It's not inherently racist to use it, but I personally find it more offensive than F-bombs or C-bombs and I'm not even black. For it to be inoffensive to me it must be mutilated into "niggah" or "negronaut."

Hey, I agree - I don't think saying 'nigger' all the time is very elegant either. Neither do I find consistently referring to women as 'bitches' very elegant. But neither should be a bannable offense in itself.

Edited by koraks (04/18/12 02:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order