Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Swami]
    #1607012 - 06/04/03 02:15 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Coincidences are always noted "after the fact".

as are every other instance of human perception

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1607068 - 06/04/03 02:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"how many times have you looked up at the sky and DIDN'T see a shooting star? countless times... but we only remember the coincidences, which makes us believe that coincidences are everywhere."
-----------------------

No.

I fail to see what you are saying.

When I look up at the night sky, I tend not to expect anything but twillight...

I don't see how you get to that part: "...which makes us believe that coincidences are everywhere "...

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1607076 - 06/04/03 02:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

selective memory

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

#1607212 - 06/04/03 05:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Swami: im sure everyone only takes these things 'in good fun'.
its just something of a 'weird' factor...whats the chance of mine happening? Id say pretty low, but there couldve been something scientific abnout it, like maybe our brain picks up on smaller things than we know, maybe my brain saw the mud, the road, the bike, and somehow knew hed fall off (without me consciously knowing it)...its just interesting.

--------------------

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: SHiZNO]
    #1607460 - 06/04/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I drank a few beers yesterday and after an hour or so, I had to urinate...
TALK ABOUT COINCIDENCE!!!

Sclorch - I'd aprpeciate it if you refrained from mocking my post...

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: nubious]
    #1607767 - 06/04/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh sweetie... it's just a little humor... lighten up m'kay?
*pets nubious*

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Sclorch]
    #1609521 - 06/04/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh yeah, I remeber another one. I was listening to this techno CD my brother burned me that I had never heard before and my friend was laying down tripping telling some story of nothingness and I was talking to my friend online who wanted to know what to name this comic of his about this tekki guy (like the hawiian mask wearing ppl) and all of a sudden it comes to mind and I type "it began in africa" as my friend says thats where the universe began and the music stopped playing and said it. Then my friend online said the samething that second to so I didn't have to come up with a name...

Then he goes "woah! just as I typed that the discovery channel said 'it began in africa'" :shocked: Thats wwaaaayyyyy too many it began in africa's for me to not believe in co-incidences....

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: DailyPot]
    #1609594 - 06/04/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

lol ok this is freaky! that song just came on after i read your post!!!! (i have my list on random)
hah how cool is that?

my other one for today was, i rented the cube, got home, a friend called and said he tryed to rent the cube, form the same movie store but it was gone, cause i had just gotten it...
woooo!

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1609632 - 06/04/03 10:39 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I fail to see what you are saying. When I look up at the night sky, I tend not to expect anything but twillight...

Hmmm, let's see. The earth accumulates hundreds of tons or more of space debris every day. The average shooting star is the size of a grain of sand which translates to hundreds of thousands of shooting stars per day with 6 billion people each assigning some miraculous coincidence to a normal occurence.

You might as well assign meaning to a specific raindrop that landed on your nose.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
    #1609692 - 06/04/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

so here u are !
wraped up in some meaningless dialogue about grains of sand :grin:
do u realize that the people have spoken ? There is a thread dedicated
in your honor... we await the sacredness of your presence...

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

#1610060 - 06/05/03 12:58 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"hundreds of thousands of shooting stars per day with 6 billion people each assigning some miraculous coincidence to a normal occurence."
--------------------

Wow !!! Hundreds of thousands eh? Every day !? Seems the coincidence is more so that I don't see them so regularily then...

"You might as well assign meaning to a specific raindrop that landed on your nose."
-------------------

How does that philosophical saying go again... It would go so well with what you just said.... Oh ya!!! ... [sp?] ... reductio ad absurdum.

Our friend was mentionning that he poured some beer for the little guy, and that is when it happened... the shooting star.

Although there is no evidence that it was intentionnal, it happened "right on cue".
Like on the movies... It's symbolic.

Obviously it was a personal "sign". I hope you realize that that event was not meant for everyone. You couldn't have. I dunno why I even just typed that.
There is no doubt that it was a personal association. So many people could have seen the same star and it meant nothing to them... It wasn't their coincidence to see.

That's the thing though... coincidences are wierd like that because they don't appear to have a major connection... it isn't obvious for everyone many of the times... In terms of: What does it all mean?

That's the nature of coincidence.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1610083 - 06/05/03 01:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

heh, I think you pretty much explained coincidences here:

"it was a personal "sign". I hope you realize that that event was not meant for everyone"

in other words, the connection is made in your mind, not "out there".
I'm not trying to invalidate the experience, just putting it in proper perspective.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

#1610121 - 06/05/03 01:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"in other words, the connection is made in your mind, not "out there".
I'm not trying to invalidate the experience, just putting it in proper perspective."
-------------------

Suppose you and I were standing in a room full of people. Someone in the front of the room said something that you didn't agree with. You proceed in name-calling. And then, while you were taking a sip of water, you got hit in the back of the head with a crumpled up paper... HARD.

THere are several conclusions that you could come to in your mind. Maybe even one of them would be that it stemed as a result of the name-calling.

Yes, the connection is made in your mind. But that is as far as it would go. It would be nothing more than a coincidence for you. You'd have no link. Several bystanders may have even witnessed it. But it was a personnal message meant only for YOU.

You would never come to know the why... So I guess you would let it go, then.

But you know... I wanted to give you a message... I made that message happen for you. I crumpled it and then threw it at you after your "nasty and uncalled for remark".

Since there is almost no way for anyone to link that shooting star with the beer and the little guy... it becomes difficult to discuss.

None the less, it was a PERSONAL message.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1610162 - 06/05/03 01:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

How can we know that the crumpled up piece of paper that hit us in the back of the head was really meant to strike our head and not the wastebasket two feet away from us?

Unless we are supplied with evidence of intention, such happenings cannot rightly be viewed as inherently meaningful (personal or otherwise). Inherent meaning is different from subjective meaning. Choose your words carefully.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Sclorch]
    #1610193 - 06/05/03 01:46 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"How can we know that the crumpled up piece of paper that hit us in the back of the head was really meant to strike our head and not the wastebasket two feet away from us?

Unless we are supplied with evidence of intention, such happenings cannot rightly be viewed as inherently meaningful (personal or otherwise). "
------------------------

That is exactly it !!! 

Coincidences are events where no link is established. 

I chose my words correctly.  Coincidences do not supply evidence of intention.  They leave you hanging so to peak.

I believe that is the nature of a coincidence.

:grin:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineKinNorvernMonkey
strange

Loc: On Ilkley Moor Bah 'Tat
    #1610781 - 06/05/03 06:53 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wow! nice thread...i tried to keep a diary of sycronicity/coincidences for a while and i found the more i noticed em the more uncanny it all became...then i got slack and stopped writing em down.
Don't you find that you can only really remember the last couple that happened to you?
as if youre brain has a filter that stops you from getting too cought up in it or sumthing.

--------------------
we compensate for the lack of warmth with hard fast t3kno you see...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1610880 - 06/05/03 08:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"You might as well assign meaning to a specific raindrop that landed on your nose."
-------------------

How does that philosophical saying go again... It would go so well with what you just said.... Oh ya!!! ... [sp?] ... reductio ad absurdum.

Please explain why a glowing piece of iron hundreds or more miles away is more relevant (or less absurd) than a drop of water falling from the sky and ACTUALLY contacting you?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Re: The *OFFICIAL* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: KinNorvernMonkey]
    #1611771 - 06/05/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wow! nice thread...i tried to keep a diary of sycronicity/coincidences for a while and i found the more i noticed em the more uncanny it all became...then i got slack and stopped writing em down.
Don't you find that you can only really remember the last couple that happened to you?
as if youre brain has a filter that stops you from getting too cought up in it or sumthing.

Something like that. For some reason I cant remeber them too well, even the big ones. And they should be sticking out in my head big time...

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

#1612189 - 06/05/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"Please explain why a glowing piece of iron hundreds or more miles away is more relevant (or less absurd) than a drop of water falling from the sky and ACTUALLY contacting you?"
----------------------

Normally it is not.

Out there in space, it is "raining" just like it does here. It DOES happen all the time.

So generally speaking, it means nothing other than that a bunch of "debris" has moved from an origin somewhere and crossed the trajectory of Earth.

Just like when it rains here, you are bound to get hit... and eventually, wet. There's no mystery behind that.

Going back to the example, because I still think that it is the reference point of this specific discussion...

There is a certain amount of symbolism associated with seeing shooting stars; especially single ones [ just for illustration, I'm going to say once more, like in the movies ]... Although it is not specifically spelled out, there is a certain amount of "specialness" that has been attached to them.

The thing here is, it depends upon the context. It was an event that played out on-cue, coinciding with thought coupled with action. The pouring of the beer was a personal gesture to the little guy, and the passing of the "star" was a symbolic "thank-you" that only meant something to one person.

Usually it is personal. However it is not necessarily obvious as to why it happened.

The concept of coincidence desent really tell you any kind of story in any depth.

For example: It rains and at the same time the sun is out. What a coincidence, a rainbow can be observed.

Schlorch mentionned an interesting one also... Drinking alcohol, a diuretic, and shortly after, needing to go to the little boyz room.

Both of those events, at one time in the past would have resembled the concept of coincidence. The rainbow until it was explained must have seemed magical to observe; The discovery of a new "drink" must not have been linked to an increase in urination right away... But I'm sure it became obvious pretty quickly.

So, I think that, the concept of coincidence is rooted in an event that occurs, and the view [perception] of it is that of a superficial observation.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

#1612316 - 06/05/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Seeing a shooting star is much rarer than getting hit with a drop of water on the nose for most people. The 2nd one happens all the time, the 1st one has only happened 3 times in my life for me. The last time was on my birthday...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order