Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagresivi
Stranger
Loc: Israel
Mycelium doesn't grow
    #16079149 - 04/12/12 08:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I've tried about 7 inoculations the past 3 months, of Cubensis Equador spores to a rye grain + water substrate. Iv'e tried with syringes i made and with just spores into the jars. The problem is that mycelium doesn't grow at all in the jars which in my incubator. My incubator is temperatured controlled by an electric thermostat I've bought and I manage to keep the temperature inside about 86F.
The thermostat:
The jars are in the black bag and on the bag there is a thermo/hygrometer. the white peace at the bottom is the electric thermostat which is connected to a light to make some heat. All built by me :smile:

The possible reasons I've thought about are:
1)My spores are in bad quality (may be possible but I saw myc grow in my first inoc' to a brown rice + water substrate which got semi- contaminated)
2)Too much water in my jars (After I cook my jars of rye + water for an hour in my PC there's still water in the bottom of the jars which can kill the spores maybe(?))
The jars:
these three jars were inoc' about a month ago:

this was inoc' about 2 weeks ago:

3)Contamination (Not possible, 'cause there is no fungus or bacteria in the jars at all and the rye grains are just kept sterilized in warm and nothing happens)
4)The temperature inside the inc' kills the spores (don't think - Im using an electric thermostat and set the temperature for 86F is it too warm or too cold??)
Well about 86 :smile:

5)The spores are being killed during inoc' (could be possible but as I said, I've already tried just scrapping spores into the jar without rehydration in the syringe, on the jar below)
Inoc' about a week ago and waiting for results, no water at bottom so it might be good:

6) Moisture problem???

Well, any of you experts can shed some light on me? thanks :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: agresivi]
    #16079169 - 04/12/12 08:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You need to do some more research. You're doing everything wrong.

Grain preparation is wrong. Your moisture content is way off.

Don't use an incubator. Temperatures that high are going to result in contamination and less than optimal mycelial growth.

You don't need to keep your jars in the dark while they're colonizing. Light by itself is not a major pinning trigger and low levels of light are beneficial to colonization.

OfflineNolaNomad
Practicing Mycophile
Male

Loc: Rocky Mountains
    #16079235 - 04/12/12 08:55 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That's quite the bacteria collection you've got there. Nothing you've done is remotely correct. Until you drastically improve your knowledge, you might as well call it quits. Sorry.

--------------------
Isolate. Cultivate. Emancipate.

Disclaimer- The Author of this post assumes no responsibility for any information, factual or not, that he has posted herein. He does not grow mushrooms. Those pictures are fake. The information is all lies.
You heard me. I'm a liar. I only take drugs prescribed to me.

Offlinefungus young
Stranger

#16079290 - 04/12/12 09:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you might want to start with vermiculite and rice powder substrate, it's lots easier, search for PF-tek, I'm a first timer myself and got pretty nice results just following the guide.

picture 4 tells me you live in Israel too, so there will be a little problem with PF-tek: I couldn't find tapered jars (with wide openings) anywhere here, I use small glasses and seal them with aluminum foil instead.

Edited by fungus young (04/12/12 09:26 AM)

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: fungus young]
    #16079387 - 04/12/12 09:41 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

OP

For grains you need to rinse, soak, simmer, and then PC.
Grains should look dry on the outside, it's the moisture content on the inside that is important. Soaking grains prevents them from exploding like the grains in your jars.

You should first rinse your grains until the water you pour off is clear.
Then fill your kettle with scalding water and to prevent your grains from germinating as well as some gypsum and allow the grains to soak for up to 24 hours.

After soaking you bring the grains to a full boil for ten minutes. I stir often to make sure there are is no burning on the bottom.

After boiling you strain your grains and then allow the steam to finish drying them. Keep the grains moving so the steam can escape.

RogerRabbit uses a piece of toilet paper to test for correct moisture content. You can place a few grains on a piece of toilet paper and leave them there for 10-15 seconds. If they leave wet marks then the grains are still too wet. Once they no longer leave wet marks you can load your jars up, cover with foil, and PC for 90 minutes at 15psi.

Allow your PC to cool overnight so the contents of the jars will be room temperature when you open your PC. Remove/loosen the foil so your polyfil/tyvek/synthetic filter discs can dry and then inoculate using sterile procedure.

Let your jars colonize at room temperature and don't use an incubator. Don't worry about keeping them in the dark either.

Edited by NewfoundFreedom (04/12/12 09:43 AM)

OfflineDr.Tooty
Eye see you.
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere in particular. Flag
Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #16079407 - 04/12/12 09:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Goddamn those jars are wet!
86F? Goddammmmn!

Bacillus city!

--------------------
"I get up, I get down." Insect Forum

Offlinebongjuice420
Mister Man
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: Dr.Tooty]
    #16079421 - 04/12/12 09:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I followed this TEK and just knocked up my girls last night http://www.shroomery.org/9030/Docs-Wild-Bird-Seed-Tek

we will see what happens

--------------------
All communications from this Online ID are for a fiction action book. These communications are for research purposes only and there are no intentions on implementing anything pertaining to these communications on or off this website.

GT - Monotub / Time-Lapse
How to store mushrooms long/short-term properly - TEK
Golden Teacher Time-Lapse Mono-Tub

:mxe::sporedrop: :pantytail:  :nicesmile:  :chalkup:  :sexymeow:

Offlineagresivi
Stranger
    #16080904 - 04/12/12 03:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well I think I'm doing ok cause I did some research before i started and i found this :
http://www.howtogrowdb.com/how-to-grow-magic-mushrooms-cultivo-de-hongos-alucinogenos.html

and this:

and i think they are both pretty reliable.

Offlineagresivi
Stranger
Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #16080946 - 04/12/12 03:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If so, so how it could be that my first inoculation to a brown rice + water substrate as i mentioned, got just two little myc' spots, one good white and one green mold, after more than a month?
it wouldnt be too long and means that temperature is too low to myc' to grow?

OfflineProject
Ride the Spiral

#16080963 - 04/12/12 03:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Why do you keep saying rye + water?  You want hydration but you don't necessarily add water to the grain in the jars.

OfflineKrayken
Wandering Pagan
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hickville
Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: Project]
    #16081182 - 04/12/12 04:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm curious as to where you got your information or "tek"(and I use that term lightly).

--------------------
Namaste

Offlinebongjuice420
Mister Man
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: Krayken]
    #16082029 - 04/12/12 08:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

To the original poster: These are the steps to prepare a grain jar like yours:

1. Get bird seed
2. Soak bird seed in bowl for 24hrs
3. Wash/Scrub/Rinse bird seed until water is clear
4. Lay bird seed on a clean towel for 10 minutes so bird seed can dry
5. Put bird seed in jar which is now called "Grain Jar"
6. Pc Grain Jar
7. Inoc Grain jar
etc. etc. etc. 

Don't let this discourage you from learning more about your hobby. Its alot of fun and there is alot of good information on here. READ READ READ and POST POST POST whenever you have a question.

--------------------
All communications from this Online ID are for a fiction action book. These communications are for research purposes only and there are no intentions on implementing anything pertaining to these communications on or off this website.

GT - Monotub / Time-Lapse
How to store mushrooms long/short-term properly - TEK
Golden Teacher Time-Lapse Mono-Tub

:mxe::sporedrop: :pantytail:  :nicesmile:  :chalkup:  :sexymeow:

Offlineagresivi
Stranger
Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: Krayken]
    #16087618 - 04/14/12 12:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well here:
howtogrowdb.com/how-to-grow-magic-mushrooms-cultivo-de-hongos-alucinogenos.html

Offlineagresivi
Stranger
Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: bongjuice420]
    #16087623 - 04/14/12 12:51 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks alot for your help.
I want to give the rye a couple more chances, but with soaking and all that this time.
And I need to know what temperature should I aim for optimal myc' growth in my incubator.

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

Loc: @ Home
    #16087636 - 04/14/12 12:57 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You dont need an incubator.
Dont go above 82F°.
Room temp is just fine for the myc.
And dont forget that your myc has to breath.
Are there (filtered) holes for gas exchange?

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

Re: Mycelium doesn't grow [Re: Luger0815]
    #16087646 - 04/14/12 01:02 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Open that milky looking glass and take a sniff...:laugh:
Then you will know that it is contaminated.

Edited by Luger0815 (04/14/12 01:08 AM)

Invisiblecubes4cancer
C0nn0IssuR Of s0rtS

Loc: thiswashereandthatwaswhen
    #16087661 - 04/14/12 01:06 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:puke:

--------------------
$$"IM ON A RAMAN NOODLE EVERY NIGHT BUDGET"$$
                                        :ramen:

ROGERRABBIT: P cubensis will grow on stuffed animals, bibles, quarter pounds of weed, bras, etc.
In other words,it's hard to fuck up a cube grow.
RR

Offlineagresivi
Stranger
    #16087914 - 04/14/12 03:34 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

My room temp is about 70F so i do need and incubator.
And i did two holes on the lid for a syringe but they're covered with the aluminium foil and no filter. i just dont know what to use as a filter.

InvisibleLuger0815
noob
Male

#16087938 - 04/14/12 03:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

70F is just fine!
You dont need an incubator.

Example for grain jars: TL's grain jars

You can also drill a hole (1/3 inch diameter) into the cap and stuff it with polyfill (synthetic cotton, pillow filling).
This is the easiest way because you can inject the spores through the polyfill with the needle of the syringe.

Edited by Luger0815 (04/14/12 03:59 AM)

Offlinesumerian
King Of Detroit

Loc: Murda Mitten,USA Flag
    #16087965 - 04/14/12 04:13 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I would say your jars are a little on the wet side, The spores may be too busy swimming and enjoying the warm weather....

Ive nocked up jars before that didnt take, shit, i nocked up 12 jars once and not a single one took. Just analyze your problems. 86 is kinda high, just keep it about room  temp, anywhere from 65-75 degrees is perfect. And  make sure you dont have jars that are that wet,also make sure that when you wipe your needle with the rubbing alcohol during innoc, that you arent getting rubbing alcohol INSIDE the needle, rub alc will damage spores and even kill them if you are using 91%, wait at least 30 seconds after you wipe a needle before injection. Other than that, make sure you are using the correct amount of spores,you want about 2cc-2.5cc for every pint jar,i know someone who uses 5cc for every pint jar,but you dont wanna over do it,ive grown pints and only injected .5cc's in them,they took awhile but still grew. If your having trouble with the spores you have, goto one of the Shroomery vendors and order a few syringes from thehawkseye,ralphsters,or sporeworks, one of them would be fine, it maybe your spores,they may be contam'd as well, you never know,there are just so many variables.But i would say the number 1 issue you have are your jars are way way way way too wet. i thought you had some baked beans or some 12 Bean Soup or something up in there lol... Dont be discouraged though, everyone fucks up, one time or another...

--------------------

Originally Posted by CanYaDigItBrotha-
I myself am thinking of Growing , and have a million and one questions about it ,One such Question is ,How Can it be that hard , its a mushroom after all and they grow in the wild .cant you just get some Dirt and Seeds add water and away you go ?Also do Mushrooms Regrow , Or dose one need to keep buying Seeds after every Yield???

Edited by sumerian (04/14/12 04:14 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate