Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Popcorn Water Content
    #1608455 - 06/04/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ive heard lots of diffrent stories about water content in popcorn, what works?

I made a syringe hte other day out of a print, and i used the whole thing to innoculate 1 pint sized jar. This jar was an old ps amazon jar that i used a bad syringe on. The jar sat for a couple weeks, with air exchange, but no contams. I dont know if the popcorn got mushy from sitting so long, or maybe dried up? Maybe it was just so many spores in the syringe, but i innoculated the pint jar, shook up, and overnight it was covered in thick white mycelium.

I have been more of a g2g person, syringes being troublesome, but i dont know. This worked very great, and even when im using 2/3 new popcorn, and 1/3 colonized popcorn and shake, those grain to grains take about a week, and i have just been showed that they can germinate, and colonize much faster than that.

Does anyone have any sure fire solutions to water content problems, 1 day soaking, 1 hour simmering, 1 hour draining, and 1 hour @ 15psi seems to do only alright, and nothing more.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Popcorn Water Content [Re: tak_old]
    #1608948 - 06/04/03 08:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well all I do is to place the popcorn in a pan full of water an let it simmer for about 1-2 hours. Then I simply eat a piece to see if it is soft/moist I usualy find it should be just soft enough to chew. I then allow the popcorn to cool down next I totaly drain all the water away ensuring the popcorn is just damp to the touch and then place into the jars and P.C.

I am still unsure how to increase the rate of colinisation you could try changinge the water source to spring or rain water. You could even try adding a very small amount of sugar like dextrose, but not to much as i think this can reduce the potency of the shrooms.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Offlineindicaz
Lysol God
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Chair
Re: Popcorn Water Content [Re: tak_old]
    #6045048 - 09/09/06 11:22 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

This is what I do

I take the popcorn im going to use and soak it for 24 hours in a big pot make sure the water covers the popcorn by a few inches.

Then the next day I take the popcorn and drain it and add new water and boil it for an hour.

Then i drain it and take the well drained popcorn and lay it out on bath towels... and let it sit there for awhile, once i have all the popcorn laid out i start using towels to dry it off more...

when the popcorn is soft and kinda chewy but still kinda hard, and the outter texture feel damp but not wet its good, make sure to really sift through the corn well to dry it off good.

Then load it into your jars, by now the corn has expanded quite a bit so you can fill them up halfway or at most 3/4ths of the way

pressure cook for 60 mins at 15 PSI... let pressure completely cool, you should be able to touch the side of the cooker and feel no heat... when you open it up make sure the jars are fully cool also, be patient with this because you dont want any warmer then room temperature kernals killing your spores or liquid innoc..

inoculate and enjoy!

indi

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation