Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Cracker dry??
    #1607174 - 06/04/03 04:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well when it comes to drying when many of  you say cracker dry are you talking about shrooms that "feel nice and dry" or shrooms you can actually snap and hear a crack
cause if its the latter so far I have porduced only ONE shroom like this

although things should be going better know that I dried MUCH longer under the fan this time before putting my shroomies in a container with dessicant

I remember buying shrooms mant times and the shrooms didnt "snap" but in the inside they seemed dry

I just want to be able to fill a jar and then seal it without the fear that I will open it in a couple of weeks and have rotten shrooms .......or shrooms with a little peice of mold I dont notice and eat

and I have heard people that dont seem at all like fools say a warmish room and thats all you need for  cracker dry
well why with a fan and dessiccant am I having trouble (well tomorrow might be good)
I might have some craker dry when I crack open the dessiccant
(I know that the medical cannabis clubs here in canada want weed that has a stem that cracks as it insures quality well as far as mold etc ......hey aids paitents cant take a mold risk and why would ANYONE aids or no aids want to .....I smoked some moldy weed (a friend rolled it cause I wouldnt have!!) and I got a horrible lung infection........some of my friends said it might not have been from the weed well gee........I was in my friend jays house for a week straight breathing tons of tobacco smoke in and then for 2 days I smoked moldy weed and at the end of the night on the second night I realized something was VERY WRONG with my lungs ......DONT FUCK WITH MOLD PEOPLE !!!!!!......anyway I am rambaling but my point is mold is bad ! and on a shroom it "can: kill you

anyway little help with my "CRACKer" problem please  :grin: 

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Cracker dry?? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1607182 - 06/04/03 04:41 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Your proper use of dessicant will produce cracker dry shrooms. I test my shrooms by bending a stem. If it snaps it's ready to be burried in a hole outside...if it flexes, it needs more drying.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1607183 - 06/04/03 04:42 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

make sure your dessicant chamber has as little air space as possible.

you said you were worried about mold growing on them while in storage in jars..

take a tea bag, empty its contents and spoon in some dessicant.
staple or tie the bag shut with string and put it in your jar along with the shrooms.
remember...
little air space as possible = k3y...

...cracka.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Cracker dry?? [Re: Joshua]
    #1607211 - 06/04/03 05:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

thank you both for the great info you have been a huge help

maybe you can surf on over to my other topic in this forum "shooting up" and help there to thanks

peace
Psilocybeing

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1607226 - 06/04/03 05:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

np :wink:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Cracker dry?? [Re: 40oz]
    #1607237 - 06/04/03 05:31 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Great suggestion about the tea bag.

I am currently in search of food grade dessicant pouches. I have seen them, now I need to find them.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Anonymous

#1607242 - 06/04/03 05:38 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I bought these great storage containers called lock & lock...they are air tight and have flaps that snap them shut....they are the perfect size as well imo and even come with a lil tray thing inside that you can put on the desiccant and lay your shrooms on it....I also put a a couple paper towels around the tray tho because I"m using very fine silica gel and I don't want any of it coming into contact with the shrooms....so far it has worked great...I put my shrooms in front of the fan from 12-48 hours then in the chamber over night and they are cracker dry....I have found also breaking your stems in half the long way speeds up drying A LOT!

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1607258 - 06/04/03 06:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Great suggestion about the tea bag.

I am currently in search of food grade dessicant pouches. I have seen them, now I need to find them.

Joshua

here ya go:

http://www.uline.com/AdvSearchResult.asp?view=ALL&SubGroup=1004&Source=07&BrowseGroup=21&Method=BROWSE

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Edited by fortyounces2freedom (06/04/03 06:08 AM)

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1607261 - 06/04/03 06:09 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Silica gel is nearly harmless, which is why you find it in food products. Silica, or silicon dioxide (SiO2), is the same material found in quartz. The gel form contains millions of tiny pores that can adsorb and hold moisture. Silica gel is essentially porous sand.

Silica gel can adsorb about 40 percent of its weight in moisture and can take the relative humidity in a closed container down to about 40 percent. Once saturated, you can drive the moisture off and reuse silica gel by heating it above 300 degrees F (150 C).

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Anonymous

#1607321 - 06/04/03 07:30 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

indicating silica gel is far from harmless

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Re: Cracker dry?? [Re: ]
    #1608246 - 06/04/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

good observation stupod...

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
    #1608400 - 06/04/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

this will require the use of your imagination. think of a bread rack that is sealed up on all four sides with trays that can slide in and out of one side that should be a door of some kind. now there is a box fan that is mounted below the trays and it is blowing up and a heat lamp that comes on for twenty minutes an hour that is just below the fan.. bam craker dry mushrooms. this type of "box" can also be built out of ply wood, mine is and it will accomodate a grip of mushrooms.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Re: Cracker dry?? [Re: fungusflip]
    #1609580 - 06/04/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

this will require the use of your imagination. think of a bread rack that is sealed up on all four sides with trays that can slide in and out of one side that should be a door  of some kind.  now there is a box fan that is mounted below the trays and it is blowing up and a heat lamp that comes on for twenty minutes an hour that is just below the fan.. bam craker dry mushrooms. this type of "box" can also be built out of ply wood, mine is and it will accomodate a grip of mushrooms. 

thats a great idea...you should do a write up and include pictures.
make sure there is a vent so the box isnt air tight...
you dont want an oven :wink: 

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1609742 - 06/04/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I found a little pack of silica in a bottle ofsaw pementto today and through it in my jar were I keep my dry shroomies

oh and by the way I am not having any more problems , drying just takes londer than I thought , today when I checked some shroomies that were finally "cracker dry" I was so happy I ending up snaping a binch of them up just to hear them crack

and then I open the bottle of herbs and thought , this is perfect!

tea bag is a good idea to though

and I know silica is harmless but that blue shit that changes colour as the silica absorbs h2o is not
Use a tight fitting tea bag ....or pull out the blue shit I guess

--------------------

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #1609815 - 06/04/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

staple or tie the bag shut with string and put it in your jar along with the shrooms.

hmm...
that's a great way to KEEP dry shrooms dry, but if they aren't properly dry to begin with it's also a good way to find yourself with a jar of shroms soaked in supersaturated CaCl2 solution....
just an observation.....

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Re: Cracker dry?? [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #1609899 - 06/05/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

hmm...
that's a great way to KEEP dry shrooms dry, but if they aren't properly dry to begin with it's also a good way to find yourself with a jar of shroms soaked in supersaturated CaCl2 solution....
just an observation.....

Quote:

you said you were worried about mold growing on them while in storage in jars..

remember...
little air space as possible = k3y...

"you said you were worried about mold growing on them while in storage in jars.."

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1609904 - 06/05/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Silica Gel
Silica gel is silicon dioxide (SiO2). It is a naturally occurring mineral that is purified and processed into either granular or beaded form. As a desiccant, it has an average pore size of 24 angstroms and has a strong affinity for moisture molecules. The silica gel will pull in moisture at temperatures up to 220?F (105?C). As temperature goes above 100?F, the rate of moisture pickup will slow down but the silica gel will still work.

Silica gel performs best at room temperatures (70? to 90?F) and high humidity (60 to 90% RH) and will drop the relative humidity in a container down to around 40% RH. In the United States, silica gel is commonly used in food and pharmaceutical applications as only silica gel has been approved by the FDA for direct contact with these items.

As with clay, silica gel, with its wide range of pore sizes, has the capability of adsorbing compounds other than water. The relative order of adsorbability is: water, ammonia, alcohols, aromatics, diolefins, olefins and paraffins. When the potential for multicomponent adsorption is present, expect the more strongly adsorbed compounds, such as water, to displace the more weakly held ones.

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Edited by fortyounces2freedom (06/05/03 12:06 AM)

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1609910 - 06/05/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Indicating Silica Gel
Indicating silica gel is a silica gel bead or granule that has been washed with a concentration of cobalt chloride ( a heavy metal salt). The cobalt chloride is a deep blue color when it is dry and turns from blue to purple to pink as it becomes saturated with moisture. Typically, the color changes as the desiccant goes past 8% moisture levels (by weight) and indicates it is time to replace the desiccant.

The most typical use for an indicating silica gel is for a moisture sensitive product that will be inspected regularly as it gives a quick visual indication of how well it is doing. Because of the addition of cobalt chloride, indicating silica gel should not be used in contact with products for consumption such as food or pharmaceuticals.

The Dri-Box canister is packed with an indicating silica gel that is regenerable. Instead of replacing the desiccant inside, heating the canister will reverse the adsorbing action and allow the material to be reused.

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1609918 - 06/05/03 12:07 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

and the most commonly used around here:

Calcium Sulfate
Calcium sulfate (better known commercially as Drierite?) is created by the controlled dehydration of gypsum. It is a general purpose desiccant geared mainly toward laboratory use. It is chemically stable, non-disintegrating, nontoxic, non-corrosive and does not release its adsorbed water easily when exposed to higher ambient temperatures.

The low cost of calcium sulfate must be weighed against its equally low adsorptive capacity; it adsorbs only up to 10% of its weight in water vapor. Calcium sulfate also has regeneration characteristics that tend to limit its useful life. Although available, it is not normally sold in package form.

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1610129 - 06/05/03 01:24 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

as long as my shroomies dont touch the Indicating Silica Gel  I fine right??

and about the little pack from the herb bottle maybe not working well
PICT Ithink it will be fine as I ONLY put in shroomies that are so dry they "crack" and I had my first shroomies put in my jar today  :grin: 

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1610263 - 06/05/03 02:10 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

as long as my shroomies dont touch the Indicating Silica Gel  I fine right??

yup.

Quote:

and about the little pack from the herb bottle maybe not working well
PICT Ithink it will be fine as I ONLY put in shroomies that are so dry they "crack" and I had my first shroomies put in my jar today  :grin:

they are only there to keep from getting moist,
not there to dehydrate.

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1610288 - 06/05/03 02:19 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ya so they will work fine

cool!

--------------------

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

#1610402 - 06/05/03 03:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

c00l ind33d  :cool:

--------------------

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals