Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeep
STEADY FACTS ON SPAWN BAGS
    #1606653 - 06/04/03 01:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I've decided to go with spawn bags, I ordered some autoclavable bags from my chem supply store. I've read through the strings and have found many contradictions I just want to clear the air with some straight answers and I know you guys are the best group of people out there, MUCH LOVE TO ALL THE GROWERS.

#1. Pressure Cooking the bags> (1)Do I need to seal the bags before I put them in the PC? (2) If I just fold the bags will water leak into them during PC proccess? (3) If I don't have access to an impulse sealer what should I use (Paper and an Iron?)?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: STEADY FACTS ON SPAWN BAGS [Re: deep]
    #1606986 - 06/04/03 03:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I do it like this:
I pressure cook folded bags filled with substrate. You can use paper clips to keep them closed. I let them cool down, take them out in front of a flow hood and inoculate with grain spawn. Since I my impulse sealer doens't work anymore I seal the bags with a normal tape and it works out anyway. But remember that things are easier for me since I use a HEPA filter flow hood.

Here's a nice thread that discusses your issue:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=928844&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: STEADY FACTS ON SPAWN BAGS [Re: zeronio]
    #1607295 - 06/04/03 09:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

(1)Do I need to seal the bags before I put them in the PC?

It's said to be ok, but i seal them right after they cool to room temperature after sterilization. You can innoculate with a syringe of spores or liquid mycelium. If you are going to use grain to grain, then ofcourse you'll seal them after innoculating.

(2) If I just fold the bags will water leak into them during PC proccess?

You can fold them and put something on to prevent the bag from blocking the steam flow. The bag flows on water so don't worry about water leaking into it.

(3) If I don't have access to an impulse sealer what should I use (Paper and an Iron?)?

I don't have any experience about this one.... I always use an impulse sealer.  More experienced users can advise better......  But i love the bags...  :smile:

GOOD LUCK!

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Offlinetheotherpnut
Stranger
    #1607365 - 06/04/03 10:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have more of an off topic question that doesn't really dictate another thread. Here it is: My plan is to scoop worm castings, verm, and maybe straw into to some spawnbags. Now first question could I stick the bag into a pillow case and boil it (any other methods not using the PC.) Next can you inoculate with straight liquid mycellium culture (procedure?). Or could one inoculate with spores from a syringe. I have pan. trop. and Taz. Cubensis. Would they colonize with any of the preposed conditions/procedures?
Much Much Thanks for any responses.

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: STEADY FACTS ON SPAWN BAGS [Re: theotherpnut]
    #1607682 - 06/04/03 01:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Spawnbags need more time for sterilization than jars. So i don't think they can be sterilized without a PC. You may pasteurize them but that's not something i know clearly. You can innoculate bags with both liquid mycelium or spore syringe. Just prick the bag with the needle of the syringe, innoculate and use a plastic tape to cover the hole...

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
    #1609048 - 06/04/03 08:57 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You can do something similar to this. bag tek

Use it as a guide and just change the grain to that which you want.

There are special bags that are made to be sealed before autoclaving but most are not made for this.

Offlinedeep
Re: STEADY FACTS ON SPAWN BAGS [Re: MycoFactory]
    #1609688 - 06/05/03 12:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the imput peoples I'm sure this will help with some people's questions including my cat's special interests. Always come through you guys are the best Grow on. Deep.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Impulse Sealer, Laminar Flow Hood, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation