Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

Loc: 4th Dimension
First grow (Complete)
    #16062829 - 04/08/12 08:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is a co-op grow with another member named Itzjoey :thumbup:
These jars are kept in a closet that stays 72-75F

Jars (18): http://www.midwestgrowkits.com/substrate-jars.html

Inoculation:
4/4/12
3 Koh Samui Super Strain
2 Mexican Dutch King
2 Pink Buffalo
3 B+
2 Dancing Tiger
2 wild mount cotton

4/5/12
4 John Allen

Colonization:
4/7/12 - First signs of growth. This is a pic of the 3 KSSS, they were doing the best.

4/8/12 - Possible black mold on one of the Mount Cotton jars, it was a wild print.

Edited by Skitzophr3nic (06/05/12 11:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleItzjoey
�.ǝןqısuodsǝɹɹı  

Re: First grow (Co-Op) [Re: Skitzophr3nic]
    #16062947 - 04/08/12 09:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Right on looking good

InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow (Co-Op) [Re: Itzjoey]
    #16063604 - 04/09/12 12:09 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Any thoughts? This is the first time for both of us so we're pretty excited. :laugh:

--------------------
"I was here"

Offlinebigshack
Boomer
Male User Gallery

#16064285 - 04/09/12 07:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Well 72-75 is kinda slow for me....u will b waiting for weeks but yea i mean its ur first grow so ur good u dont want the problems that come with contam problems but IME my first grow i hadt  put them in incubation at like 85 and ppl thought i was crazy but i swear it finish in like 9-10days top maybe try 78-80....also another thing i can see that u have a acurite humidity meter in your firstpic...i know this bcuz this is the first one i bought as a noob:tongue:...i wouldnt use them if or when your building a  fruiting chamber like a sgfc or nething for that matter because they wont read correctly in that type of humidity for a long period of time...when i got one it read 85% and then anything above that it read 99% and then when i took it out of the fruiting chamber it read 99% for like 5mins!  I know it def was off...other then that ur good to go this hobby will teach u that a lot of patience pays off...what are you gonna do with your jars after they are 100%?spawn to bulk? Dunk and roll them?

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Re: First grow (Co-Op) [Re: bigshack]
    #16064604 - 04/09/12 10:04 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Incubation is outdated information, that is unless your Room Temp that they sit in is 65 degrees or lower. High temperatures during colonization also gives you a higher risk for contaminates, and often 72-75 degrees or a smidge cooler gives healthier cakes. The Mycelium grows a lot thicker and dense which from my own experience gives some amazing fruits.

To the Original Poster, the White Mount Cotton you speak of. Where did you acquire those spores? Are they of Cubensis Species?

--------------------

InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow (Co-Op) [Re: DynGBreeD]
    #16065074 - 04/09/12 12:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I know everyone is going to say it was a waste of money, but I already have it so might as well use it: http://www.midwestgrowkits.com/grow-kits.html
I got the Mega Kit, so that's what I have to work with. In the first pic, it's the tub on the bottom.
We're gona dunk and roll when they're at 100% for our first time.
If this works out, then the next grow I want to start doing monotubs only. Like 2 or 3 with each their own strain.
As for the mount cotton print, I got it from a giveaway by Olive, and yes it is a cubensis.

--------------------
"I was here"

OfflineSoreSpore

Loc: Halfway there...
    #16065276 - 04/09/12 01:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DynGBreeD said:
Incubation is outdated information, that is unless your Room Temp that they sit in is 65 degrees or lower. High temperatures during colonization also gives you a higher risk for contaminates, and often 72-75 degrees or a smidge cooler gives healthier cakes. The Mycelium grows a lot thicker and dense which from my own experience gives some amazing fruits.

Where is this information from? Have you ever inoculated a couple of different jars and incubated at different temperatures? If not, you probably shouldn't be spreading this information. Psilocybe Cubensis mycelium grows quicker at higher temperatures up until ~92* at which point it will stall out. That is just a fact. There is multiple comparisons on other sites (I am sure there are some here) that clearly state higher temperatures is equivilent to quicker growth. I know for a fact through my OWN EXPERIENCE, not just what I have read, that Cubensis mycelium will grow faster with a pristine temperature around 82* for spawn jars and 85* for LC.

Also, it is indeed true that risk for contamination is increased when incubating, however the contaminates that would ruin a grow would have to already be in the jar. All that crap about higher temps being "optimal for heat loving molds and bacterias" IS true for heat loving molds and bacteria. But let me tell you the mold and bacteria that contaminated your jar is a LOCAL mold or bac, and will contaminate your jars at room temp or 80* I mean if you sterilized the substrate, and it contamed, it came from your local environment right? Its pretty simple... and even the "heat loving" mold and bacteria will contaminate a jar at room temp. They have a wide temperature range that will sustain their growth. Thats why trich grows all over the earth, and every other mold or bacteria that is a common contaminate to a mushroom culture.

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Re: First grow (Co-Op) [Re: SoreSpore]
    #16065357 - 04/09/12 01:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Here it is from the man himself... Oh and I never said higher Temperatures wouldn't increase growth rate? Still trying to find that one..

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
80F is fine for incubating, but don't exceed 81F or growth will slow.  86F is not optimal for cubensis.  Stamets quoted somebody else who supposedly put out some petri dishes in various temperatures and reported that to him, so he printed it.  I've tried to duplicate that experiment, and after several times, I reached the positive conclusion that mycelium rate of growth is fairly flat from 75F to 83F, with it falling off sharply at 84F and above.

It should also be noted that glass is an insulator, so the heat produced by the mycelium has no place to go and can easily spiral up into the range where growth falls off and thermophilic molds are encouraged.  That's why I recommend normal room temperature for incubation, even if it is a tad slower.  The benefits of a lower contamination rate far outweigh the extra day or two earlier they might colonize at a slightly warmer temperature.  besides, you should be waiting a week after full colonization anyway before birthing or spawning in order to allow the mycelium to consolidate its hold on the substrate.

As for fruiting temperatures, the lower 70's seems to produce the best fruit quality.  For years, I didn't AC my house in the summer because I live in a generally mild climate, and they still fruited fine into the 90's, which my grow area would often reach on summer afternoons.  I found that temperatures which would fry the mycelium during colonization, would hardly be a factor during fruiting, but the fruits grew very fast, were not very meaty, and the 'other' quality we look for was often lacking.
RR

--------------------

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

#16065380 - 04/09/12 01:38 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh a couple more...

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Incubate at room temperature, up to 80F.  86F is NOT optimal for growth. Anything above 80F gives absolutely no increase in rate of growth, and growth slows down dramatically at 83F and above.  I've proved this time and time again with thousands of grows.  That's why I incubate all jars at normal room temperature on an open shelf.  The pf jars you see on the bottom shelf were fully colonized within 2 weeks.  I challenge any of you incubator growers to match that using 86F.  You won't be able to.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I incubate quart jars of rye grain on a shelf above my dresser in the bedroom at normal room temperature.  There is no need to heat your jars beyond that point, as the increase in growth speed is minimal, but the risk of contaminants which are favored at higher temperatures increases.  Now, if your room is very cold, you'll need to run a space heater or something to warm it up.  75F works great.

--------------------

Offlinejellycrab
The Stranger
Male

Loc: The Moon Flag
    #16065549 - 04/09/12 02:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I ordered the same grow kit last night... I was not sure at first because all of the bad rep that grow kits have with most shroom freaks. But then I said fuck it... and ordered it... Im too lazy, who cares... does anybody else have experience with this grow kit? and please none of that waste of money shit cause I already bought it.. plus yesterday I was robbed for $100 when I was buying a half...>:(

--------------------
"I used to have a drug problem…..now I make enough money."David Lee Roth

OfflineZauberpilz
Strangercandy
Male

Loc: bible belt
Re: First grow (Co-Op) [Re: jellycrab]
    #16065594 - 04/09/12 02:30 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah i'm growing with it now i ended up makeing it a shotgun got rid of the shity air pump humidifier and the lights that come with it are cheap and dont give enough light also the hydrometer is crap and will fill with water droplets on the screen and stop working so i ended up paying $100+ for a crappy plastic bin and 18 brf cakes...
sry but i would just get a refund and mabey just order the brf cakes from them they worked out great no contams and go get your own perilite ,plastic bin and and a stronger light or just use sunlight for a couple hours a day.

--------------------
I hate waiting in lines. Hurry up and pick a suspect already

OfflineSoreSpore

#16065610 - 04/09/12 02:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DynGBreeD said:
Here it is from the man himself... Oh and I never said higher Temperatures wouldn't increase growth rate? Still trying to find that one..

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
80F is fine for incubating, but don't exceed 81F or growth will slow.  86F is not optimal for cubensis.  Stamets quoted somebody else who supposedly put out some petri dishes in various temperatures and reported that to him, so he printed it.  I've tried to duplicate that experiment, and after several times, I reached the positive conclusion that mycelium rate of growth is fairly flat from 75F to 83F, with it falling off sharply at 84F and above.

It should also be noted that glass is an insulator, so the heat produced by the mycelium has no place to go and can easily spiral up into the range where growth falls off and thermophilic molds are encouraged.  That's why I recommend normal room temperature for incubation, even if it is a tad slower. The benefits of a lower contamination rate far outweigh the extra day or two earlier they might colonize at a slightly warmer temperature.  besides, you should be waiting a week after full colonization anyway before birthing or spawning in order to allow the mycelium to consolidate its hold on the substrate.Cubensis don't need consolidation, just sayin'

RR

Okay, well for speed I would reccommend incubating at 80*. Since RR himself agrees that it is quicker. Also, with the mycelium growing at a quicker rate, this would decrease the chance of contamination. :wink:

Regardless of whether you incubate at 82* or 75* (which will be significantly slower, I assure you), the only sure fire way to avoid contamination out right is proper spawn preparation. If you got a contaminate in a jar that was being incubated, it would be very silly to thing that it came from the incubation.

InvisibleDynGBreeD
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

#16065669 - 04/09/12 02:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

They don't need to consolidate???

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Failing to follow the week long consolidation period is not a guarantee of failure, but your eventual flush will generally come sooner and be more prolific if you allow the mycelium to digest some of the substrate before exposing to fruiting conditions. 

We can thank shiitake growers for this discovery, which applies equally to cubensis, although they don't need the six weeks to two months of consolidation that benefit shiitake.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
A week to ten days is fine with cubensis.  Other species benefit from a longer consolidation process, such as shiitake.  The reason is they won't fruit during that period anyway, so just leave them in the jars so they don't dry out.
RR

--------------------

OfflineSoreSpore

#16065738 - 04/09/12 03:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DynGBreeD said:
They don't need to consolidate???

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Failing to follow the week long consolidation period is not a guarantee of failure, but your eventual flush will generally come sooner and be more prolific if you allow the mycelium to digest some of the substrate before exposing to fruiting conditions. 

We can thank shiitake growers for this discovery, which applies equally to cubensis, although they don't need the six weeks to two months of consolidation that benefit shiitake.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
A week to ten days is fine with cubensis.  Other species benefit from a longer consolidation process, such as shiitake.  The reason is they won't fruit during that period anyway, so just leave them in the jars so they don't dry out.
RR

Yeah man, they don't need it. Maybe RogerRabbit reccommends it, but it is surely not needed by any stretch of the word.

InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

#16066693 - 04/09/12 06:43 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

4-9-12 (Day 5)

KSSS

B+

The 3 KSSS are doing the best by far, all of the other jars seem to be slower.
These are just 2 pics I took, there are more jars with a little growth. 7 strains total.

--------------------
"I was here"

Offlinejellycrab
The Stranger
Male

#16067979 - 04/09/12 11:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

how are you liking the kit? are you using the incubator? when I get mine im planning on replacing the lights with a 6500k cfl natural daylight (blue spectrum)... I sure do hope that this kit will work good luck to us both and remember to keep patent and keep us updated:grin:

--------------------

InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

#16068030 - 04/09/12 11:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i'm not using the incubator. They're in a styrofoam cooler with the heating pad around it tho. The lid is halfway on and it stays 75F in there. I just can't believe how well the ksss are doing. just 5 days and wow. :eek:

--------------------
"I was here"

InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

#16068061 - 04/09/12 11:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Also we have some blue spectrum LEDs. they're all connected sets of 3, a good bit of them so that's the lights we're using when we get to fruiting.
Oh and i'll be updating every 2 days with pictures. :thumbup:

--------------------
"I was here"

Offlinejellycrab
The Stranger
Male

#16068186 - 04/09/12 11:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

that sounds better than using the incubater I dont think I will be using the heat until fruiting because I live in AZ I hear the lights that come with the kit are shitty what is your opinion... please stay in touch and dont be afraid to give any advice for it would be greatly appreciated.:tongue2:

--------------------

InvisibleSkitzophr3nic
Nod Squad
Male User Gallery

#16068207 - 04/10/12 12:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

haha. Well i'm not really one to give advice since i'm just starting out in this hobby as well. I will stay in touch tho.
I heard the same about the lights, I might throw it in there with the LEDs anyways, not sure yet. :shrug:
Also i heard that digital humidity readers go to crap from being in the chamber with the humidity so high. Everyone seems to suggest an analog one.
We have 2 digital ones, and we'll probably just use them until they break. :lol:
I'd trust the humidity with that humidifier in there anyways.

--------------------
"I was here"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds