Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure
    #16065080 - 04/09/12 12:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Preface:

Had my heart set on making some homemade mushroom compost following this tek by the user Agar from Shroomery.  The end result of that tek is about a half composted pile, meaning you don't turn the ingredients back into humus (soil) but rather get the "quicker to decompose" ingredients (like the fruits, grass clippings, etc.) to decompose and the "harder to decompose" ingredients (like the straw) to be only partially composted.  This results in a pile of half composted material that is teeming with beneficial bacteria.

I've read by multiple TC's here on this forum that compost is the king of substrates for a multitude of reasons.  Here are some threads on the subject:

WHY COMPOST OR H/POO IS BETTER THAN OTHER SUBSTRATES
compost, worth the effort?
Composting
Not too much discussion about using compost
BEST SUBSTRATE = COMPOST
Hmmm... Straw or compost?
Composted manure

I also read in The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets that qbz are both primary & secondary decomposers, so a half composted pile is going to benefit both primary & secondary decomposers (as there are both types of materials required by those types of decomposers all in one pile).

I started a thread asking if it was in fact true that a homemade manure based compost pile was the king of substrates (located here), to which RR replied:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Compost is for secondary decomposers such as the agaricus complex of species.

If you're growing P cubensis, it performs better on field aged, but non-composted manure.
RR

Having started that thread after already sourcing all the ingredients and materials required for the compost tek linked to further up in this post, I figured what the hell, might as well do it anyway.  The wifey loves to garden and was really excited to get her hands on some homemade compost for the vegetable garden this year anyway and having already went through the effort to source the ingredients and materials, and still having a use for it, it made sense to forge ahead and get things going anyway. 

I figure once it's finished, I'll do a couple of "side by side" tests myself, one with manure and one with compost, just to see how things go with my own eyes.  This is no disrespect or disbelief to what RR had to say, just me simply making the compost because I've got a use for it, and then the side by side comparisons so I can see things for myself.

Homemade Mushroom Compost Story Begins:

I ended up going with the smaller amount of the two given for each amount of the ingredients in the tek linked to.  So I ended up using:

• 2/3'rds of a bale of wheat straw (shredded by running it over with a lawn mower a couple of times)- $1 from horse farmer
  • Three 5 gallon pails of horse manure (about 2/3'rds of the manure used was SUPER fresh...nearly steaming.  The other 1/3'rd was slightly aged horse manure that was totally white, completely covered in firefang bacteria) - free from horse farmer
  • Two 5 gallon pails of produce (shredded using a food processor...doesn't take as long as you'd think) - free from my own waste at home.
  • 1 lb of dry used coffee grounds
  • One quart of vegetable oil - had an extra on laying around in my house
  • Four cups of Espoma Garden Gypsum - already had this as well, for use when putting monotubs together
  • One and a half cups of Compost Plus Compost Starter - again, something I already had laying around the house.
  • 45 Gallon Trash Can - $25
  • Hydrated the whole pile with collected rain water that is now green from algae build up.

All the ingredients were sourced for a total cost of about $26.00.  Some changes were made to the tek linked to above, those changes being:

Instead of a 55 gallon drum being used to compost in, a 45 gallon trash can with a locking lid was used.  The lid locks in place by screwing it on, kind of like a giant pickle jar. 

Instead of two 5 gallon pails of produce being used, I only used one 5 gallon of produce (shredded).  The produce was a mix of: romaine lettuce, apples, bananas, cucumbers & iceberg lettuce.  I substituted the second 5 gallon of produce with a 5 gallon pail of grass clippings, as Agar said in the thread was perfectly acceptable, provided they were distributed very evenly throughout the compost and not all clumped together.

I mowed my lawn and allowed the grass clippings to just sit on my lawn for a day to dry out a bit in the sun.  This made it incredibly easy to distribute them evenly through the hay/manure mix because I mixed everything "dry".  Had the grass clippings been "same day fresh" they would have clumped up into an unmanageable mess.

So that's it, now I wait....here are a couple pics:

Bin:

Mixture:

Edited by sgfcchamber (04/09/12 03:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegardenmind
Stranger

Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: sgfcchamber]
    #16065196 - 04/09/12 12:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

cool man everyone should compost have fun getting dirty:thumbup::mushroom2::thumbup:
look into worm composting too I have a couple of bins I change out every month or two harvesting good black castings also very high in beneficial bacteria the bins are easy to set up and once they get established you don't have to mess with it besides adding more food and bedding when you feel like it and harvesting
I'm curious how this turns out for ya
were you planning to make mono tubs with this?

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: gardenmind]
    #16065275 - 04/09/12 01:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gardenmind said:
cool man everyone should compost have fun getting dirty:thumbup::mushroom2::thumbup:
look into worm composting too I have a couple of bins I change out every month or two harvesting good black castings also very high in beneficial bacteria the bins are easy to set up and once they get established you don't have to mess with it besides adding more food and bedding when you feel like it and harvesting
I'm curious how this turns out for ya
were you planning to make mono tubs with this?

Yeah, I enjoy gardening/outside projects and stuff.  It was fun putting this all together.  I really can't wait to see nature at work and watch the pile heat up and start to break down, exciting stuff (to me anyway, haha).

I'll definitely look into the worm composting.  I really enjoy going fishing, so it'd be great to have some of those suckers on hand all the time, not to mention their by-products are supposed to do wonders for plants (and mushies).

--------------------

========================================================================================
Mushroom / Bulk Substrate Calculator <- Tells you exactly how much of what ingredients you need for any substrate for any container!
Here is the corresponding shroomery thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15656577

Easy Bulk Substrate Pasteurizer - Hands Free Operation
========================================================================================

Offlinegardenmind
Stranger

Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: sgfcchamber]
    #16065455 - 04/09/12 01:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

very exciting to me as well it'd be great if you updated the progress I have everything to do this besides a container and someone is selling used pickle barrels on CL

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: gardenmind]
    #16065730 - 04/09/12 02:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gardenmind said:
very exciting to me as well it'd be great if you updated the progress I have everything to do this besides a container and someone is selling used pickle barrels on CL

Definitely will give updates, but just to warn you, it's going to take awhile.  Here is the schedule of events:

April 11th - Day 3 - Roll back and forth, add 5 gallons of water
April 18th - Day 10 - Add 3 gallons of water, roll back and forth, flip upside down
April 25th - Day 17 - Add 3 gallons of water, roll back and forth, flip right side up
May 2nd - Day 24 - Add 3 gallons of water, roll back and forth, flip upside down
May 9th - Day 31 - Check for completion

--------------------

Mushroom / Bulk Substrate Calculator <- Tells you exactly how much of what ingredients you need for any substrate for any container!
Here is the corresponding shroomery thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15656577

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
    #16074934 - 04/11/12 11:13 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Even though it looks as though I'm talking to myself here, I figured I might as well give an update.

Went outside today to roll the can around and add some water, and was really surprised.

I opened up the lid, and whattya know, I can actually feel that it is starting to generate some heat.  Doesn't seem to be a lot yet, but it is definitely noticeably warmer inside the can at "mix level" than the surrounding air...nature is incredible.

--------------------

Offlinegardenmind
Stranger

#16075398 - 04/11/12 01:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

off to a good start:thumbup::thumbup:

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
    #16078919 - 04/12/12 06:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gardenmind said:
off to a good start:thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited.

I think I'm going to go out today and get myself a compost thermometer so I can keep track of internal temps.

--------------------

OfflineFunnyLight
Nom NOm NOM
Male User Gallery

Loc: fuckin Mars man
    #16079120 - 04/12/12 08:08 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Just postin for watchin!
:mushroom2:

--------------------
The most powerful drive through the ascent of man, is pleasure in his own skill.
J. Bronowski

Home of delicious "Psychedelic Nyotaimori".
Thanks Lemmingp for that.

:mushroom2::grin::mushroom2:

OfflineRogueTrippeR
Peaceful
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: FunnyLight]
    #16079543 - 04/12/12 10:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
Cluster Headache

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: RogueTrippeR]
    #16080202 - 04/12/12 12:50 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Alright, so today I was looking at my schedule of events and realized that yesterday was actually only day 2, not day 3, so I jumped the gun a bit yesterday by rolling the can around and adding water (wasn't supposed to do that until today).

I was thinking about it, and figured it couldn't hurt to go out today and roll the can around again (but not add water), just to correct my schedule.  So now I'll be doing everything on my schedule of events the day after it says I'm supposed to do it.

Anyway, so I get out there and take the lid off the can and took a look at the inside.  I realized a couple of things:

• It is was without a doubt producing a decent amount of heat, as it was markedly warmer within the can at "mix level".
  • Things were either already shrinking, or things were pretty compacted (the latter of which is bad).

I realized that since I used so many grass clippings instead of only produce for my "greens", that rolling the can around probably wasn't aerating the mix so much as it was "clumping" everything together.  So I decided to dump the can out and use a pitchfork to mix the pile around and really make sure everything was mixed "nice and fluffy".

So I dump the can out, and it comes out in a big clump, the same shape of the can, so it was definitely pretty compacted.  I use the pitchfork and bust the pile in half, right in the center...

This was where I saw the craziest thing I've ever seen (in nature anyway)

The whole freaking pile was smoking!

Alright, smoking is the wrong word, but it was steaming.  Not only that, but the whole core of the pile looked like a pile of burnt newspapers.  It was almost completely white, everything totally covered in actinomycetes (firefang - which incidentally are supposed to be like steroids for mushroom growing).

Not yet having a compost thermometer, but wanting to know the temp, I bolted inside and got my meat thermometer, ran back outside and stuck it into the center of the pile...

It read that the center of the pile is 120F!

I'm sorry, but I think that is freaking incredible.  It hasn't gotten over 50F (with lows in the thirtys at night) where I live since I started this project, and the center of this pile is just over a hundred & twenty degrees Fahrenheit.

Another thing I noticed...was the smell...whew!  When I took the lid off the can, there was no smell, other than straw/grass clippings kind of "rotting", but it wasn't strong at all...I mean, it wasn't emanating from the can or anything, you really had to get your nose close to the pile to smell anything.

However, after I busted this pile in half, the smell about knocked me over.  Sometimes smelling like ammonia and others like a sewage treatment plant.  Obviously this is because the intense heat that I released from the center of the pile was carrying the odors up into the wind as it dissipated.

I quickly mixed the whole pile up, and GENTLY put everything back into the can so as to not compact everything again.  Then I put it back up on it's bricks...then I typed this out, haha.

EDIT:  I'm attributing the super fast jump start on this compost pile to two things:

• That I used some compost starter when I first put the mix together, and
  • That the water I'm using to hydrate the pile is rain water that has been sitting outside for the past 6 months (it's green with algae and undoubtedly teeming with all kinds of microscopic critters)

--------------------

Edited by sgfcchamber (04/12/12 12:56 PM)

OfflineRogueTrippeR
Peaceful
 User Gallery

#16080240 - 04/12/12 12:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, I love my compost :smile:  Let it heat up and leave it be, check the center with your thermometer and if it gets too hot, over 155-160f or starts to drop, then mix it up and check moisture if it needs some water only water lightly and keep it moist but not wet.

Great stuff it's going to be done before you know it. :thumbup:

--------------------
Cluster Headache

Edited by RogueTrippeR (04/12/12 12:57 PM)

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
Re: My Homemade Manure & Straw Based Mushroom Compost Adventure [Re: RogueTrippeR]
    #16080818 - 04/12/12 03:08 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogueTrippeR said:
Yea, I love my compost :smile:  Let it heat up and leave it be, check the center with your thermometer and if it gets too hot, over 155-160f or starts to drop, then mix it up and check moisture if it needs some water only water lightly and keep it moist but not wet.

Great stuff it's going to be done before you know it. :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips man.  I've never made compost pile before, let alone seen one in action like this (I mean years ago, when I was just a youngster, my dad used to have me pile up grass clippings into a pile and he called it a compost pile...but it never really decomposed, haha...it just sat there, getting bigger & bigger year after year).

Anyway, your tips are appreciated because as of now the only information I have to go on is what I find on the internet (and boy is there tons of it, so it's hard to discern what's good and what isn't) and the thread that I got the "TEK" information from (and that is 6 years old).

--------------------

OfflineRogueTrippeR
Peaceful
 User Gallery

#16081301 - 04/12/12 05:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:super:

I know you said you already had Compost Plus Compost Starter but you don't need to waste you $$ on it in the future you've got all you need already.

The best way to make compost is just like you did.  mixing it together all at once and then letting it do it's thing turning and watering when needed.  Gather your next batch of stuff but don't pile it high or mix the carbon and nitrogen together until you have enough to do a new pile then go at it.

--------------------
Cluster Headache

Edited by RogueTrippeR (04/12/12 05:13 PM)

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
    #16089678 - 04/14/12 03:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogueTrippeR said:
:super:

I know you said you already had Compost Plus Compost Starter but you don't need to waste you $$ on it in the future you've got all you need already.

The best way to make compost is just like you did.  mixing it together all at once and then letting it do it's thing turning and watering when needed.  Gather your next batch of stuff but don't pile it high or mix the carbon and nitrogen together until you have enough to do a new pile then go at it.

I read online that a great way to get compost started, other than just mixing the ingredients together, is to go ahead and use a couple handfuls of compost from a previous compost project, and use that almost as an "innoculant" for the new compost pile.  Seems like a pretty sound idea to me, although it looks like you're saying even that isn't really necessary, and that if mixed in the proper ratios all at the same time, the pile will take off anyway.

Thanks again for the input man, 5 mushies for ya!

Update

I couldn't take it anymore, and I had to go out and get a temperature reading.  I didn't disturb the pile or anything (at least, not a whole lot), so I don't think it is such a bad thing.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten around to getting myself a compost thermometer yet, so I strapped on some big yellow kitchen gloves and went outside with my meat thermometer.

Holding the dial where you get the temp reading in my closed fist, I pushed/dug my arm into the center of the pile (and boy was it hot).  Left it there for a couple seconds & took my hand out and read the dial really quick...I'm at a toasty warm 135F in the center of the pile!  Once again, I got to see the pile literally steaming it was so hot (I think that's the coolest thing in the world for some reason).

Things are definitely working away in there and in no time at all I should have some premium compost.

I'm thinking about spending $40 and sending a quart jar of the finished product off to the University of Missouri for a complete compost analysis (they analyze for total N, P, K, Ca, Mg, Zn, Fe, Cu and Mn; C/N ratio; pH and EC).  Obviously it'd be more for curiosities sake than anything, but I'd really like to see what kind of nutritional value really comes out of that compost recipe I'm following.

For anybody who wants to check it out, you can check out their site and other available compost analysis packages here:
soilplantlab.missouri.edu/soil/compost.aspx

--------------------

OfflineRogueTrippeR
Peaceful
 User Gallery

#16089858 - 04/14/12 04:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Adding a bunch of compost from a previously composted pile is great and can be done when ready to mix your new pile.  I do it all the time.

It's amazing how hot it gets  I am always amazed.  I love pulling out my long compost thermometer and feeling how hot the metal gets.  I know it says it on the gauge but somehow i have to feel it every time. :shrug: it's hot be careful.

--------------------
Cluster Headache

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
    #16093294 - 04/15/12 11:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogueTrippeR said:
It's amazing how hot it gets  I am always amazed.  I love pulling out my long compost thermometer and feeling how hot the metal gets.  I know it says it on the gauge but somehow i have to feel it every time. :shrug: it's hot be careful.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.  I'm not even kidding, I literally did the EXACT same thing yesterday!  Even though I had my gloved hand in the pile, I still had to feel the metal probe with my ungloved hand when I pulled the thermometer out.  That's too funny, haha.  :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinegardenmind
Stranger

#16096845 - 04/16/12 09:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

aaaah the love of a steaming compost pile :holyshit:

I was talking with a long time gardener about algae he has a great garden and he grows buckets and buckets of algae to mix with his compost, worms, and straight on the garden

sounds like you're having fun man:sun:

have you read anything about aerated compots tea?
I have a small batch going now 1 qt water
1/4 cup compost
1tbl neem seed meal
1tsp mollases
1tsp kelp meal
1tsp bat guano
aerated with a small air pump and air stone for a couple days plants love it

I'm still curious how you plan to use it tubs? outdoor?

OfflineRogueTrippeR
Peaceful
 User Gallery

#16105606 - 04/18/12 07:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

aerated compost tea is great stuff.  I've done plenty and recommend it highly.
My garden center sells it at outrageous prices for what can be made at home easily.
I do it on 5 gallon buckets.  Glued an air stone to the bottom and let it rip for a day or two.

It adds tons of beneficial bacteria and microbes :super:

--------------------
Cluster Headache

Edited by RogueTrippeR (04/18/12 07:47 AM)

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
    #16110137 - 04/19/12 04:23 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gardenmind said:
aaaah the love of a steaming compost pile :holyshit:

I was talking with a long time gardener about algae he has a great garden and he grows buckets and buckets of algae to mix with his compost, worms, and straight on the garden

sounds like you're having fun man:sun:

have you read anything about aerated compots tea?
I have a small batch going now 1 qt water
1/4 cup compost
1tbl neem seed meal
1tsp mollases
1tsp kelp meal
1tsp bat guano
aerated with a small air pump and air stone for a couple days plants love it

I'm still curious how you plan to use it tubs? outdoor?

Yeah, I really am having a good time with this.  Wifey thinks I'm a little nuts now, haha.

I had read about compost tea, and was really excited to get to put some together once the compost comes together for me.  Thanks for posting it on this thread, it'll help keep it at the forefront of my otherwise scrambled mind.

As for its method of use/application, not sure yet.  Rest assured, when I know, shroomery will too.

Quote:

RogueTrippeR said:
aerated compost tea is great stuff.  I've done plenty and recommend it highly.
My garden center sells it at outrageous prices for what can be made at home easily.
I do it on 5 gallon buckets.  Glued an air stone to the bottom and let it rip for a day or two.

It adds tons of beneficial bacteria and microbes :super:

Nice to hear from somebody else who has actually done it.  Adds to the anticipation :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals