Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegm9050
Stranger
 User Gallery
Need Professional Help and Tips Please
    #16051935 - 04/06/12 09:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi all. This is my second go at this and would really appreciate some tips and help from others that are more experienced please.

I inoculated 40 jars of a mix of B+ and GT Between February 25th and 29th. Almost all jars are done but seemed to take longer than expectecd.

It was March 26th when one of my B+ BRF jars was fully colonized and taken out and soacked in clean, cool bottled water overnight. Then exposed to the fruiting chamber. Av Temp= 70-73 Av Humi= 98. Fanned out twice day and sprayed indirectly twice a day.

In the same chamber I have one B+ and one GT BRF cakes added April 2nd.
These two jars I simply dipped into clean bottled water after taking out of jars. After the first dip I rolled them in a fine vermiculite, re-dunked and re rolled in the vermiculite. Then they were put into chamber.

I have read many different articles on how to induce pinning and continue growth but am confused as there are differnt techniques from everywhere. I use mainly indirect sunlight from windows in the room to fruit cakes in the chamber thats in the closet, I have one 48 inch Ecolux F40 light 1900k? and one Normal 5600k house lamp that is 48 inchs long. I am not sure if both these in a fixture will be good enough for the mush or not and if so how high do I hang from top of chamber and for how long a day. Also I am interested in any sugjestions and tips on how to make this happen. Please help.

Edited by gm9050 (04/06/12 09:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemushmagic
supporting radical habits
Male User Gallery

Loc: Candyland
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: gm9050]
    #16052423 - 04/06/12 11:47 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

not a professional but the 5600k light should be good. You want that high kelvin rating and more into the blue side of the spectrum.

--------------------

Trade list in journal (partially under construction; more to be added)

Don't judge a man by what kinda shoes he in, judge a man on where that man's shoes been.

OfflinePandaRepublic
Silly Noob
Male

Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: mushmagic]
    #16052497 - 04/06/12 12:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Keep lights on for 12 hours each day. 6500k light would be better, but if you have indirect sunlight mixed in i think you'll be fine.  You want your lights close as possible without heating up your terrarium. I'd say about a foot away from the top of the cakes. I'm not sure about your setup...it seems outdated to me but might still work.  I would build a shotgun fruiting chamber to be sure.

Offlinegm9050
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: PandaRepublic]
    #16057874 - 04/07/12 04:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thank you

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

#16057960 - 04/07/12 05:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Don't worry too much about it. indirect sunlight alone is enough as long as its not terribly weak.

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: Nalim]
    #16058008 - 04/07/12 05:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'd be more worried about getting them fresh air, that's your main pinning trigger. It doesn't look like they're getting much in there.

--------------------

Offlinegm9050
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: Kizzle]
    #16060782 - 04/08/12 12:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thank you

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #16060955 - 04/08/12 01:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You should let your cakes colonize at least a week before birthing.  Your cakes arent going to do anything right now while the myc consumes the food source.  When you birth cakes early all your doing is letting them sit in the open while they get ready to fruit.  You would have been better off letting the cakes consolidate before birthing them.  Then that breath of fresh air acts as a large pinning trigger

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16061785 - 04/08/12 05:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gm9050 said:
Need Professional Help

Mrs Rabbit has been telling me that for years.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinegm9050
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16061895 - 04/08/12 05:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

the two cakes on the left were fully colonized, i birthed them, dunk and rolled them and put em in, the one on the right was just birthed but i just took out to throw out today becuz of blue bacteria on it,im hoping the others dont turn out the same.

I am taking the two good ones and putting them in the shotgun terrarium i am building with perlite on the bottom and a air stone in the middle layer of perlite. I just picked up a new Grow light an hour ago its a TROPIC SUN 5500K DAYLIGHT 32 WATTS T8 1219 mm. hOPING ALL WILL BE WELL.

I am looking for sugjestions on something else. I have another 20 plus cakes of b plus that are 80 to 90 percent colonized, its been about 1 1/2 months tho from innoc. Dunno if i should keeep em growing if the will still grow or if i should break em up into a bulk substrate and if so what substrate.

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #16061951 - 04/08/12 05:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Blue is usually a sign of bruising and is perfectly normal.  Id just wait for the cakes to colonize my first cakes took forever too

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineDiesel_Dawg
Not a noob

Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: truskool]
    #16062250 - 04/08/12 06:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You said you "dipped" them in bottled water. They need to be submerged under the water for 24hrs.

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: Diesel_Dawg]
    #16062492 - 04/08/12 07:52 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I am looking for sugjestions on something else. I have another 20 plus cakes of b plus that are 80 to 90 percent colonized, its been about 1 1/2 months tho from innoc. Dunno if i should keeep em growing if the will still grow or if i should break em up into a bulk substrate and if so what substrate.

Are you colonizing them in complete darkness? Those tall half-pints will sometimes stall on the bottoms, apparently from compacted substrate. Normally when that happens they start pinning but it seems when in complete darkness that doesn't happen as readily and they end up sitting there stalled instead. On my first grow I must have waited close to 2 months for those to finish and they wouldn't and finally started pinning when I took them out of the dark.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: Kizzle]
    #16062964 - 04/08/12 09:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

On my first grow I must have waited close to 2 months for those to finish and they wouldn't and finally started pinning when I took them out of the dark.

Mushroom mycelium derives energy from light at nearly all phases of growth.  If you colonize in darkness, it will take much longer and the chance of stalling is considerably higher.  You should colonize on an open shelf in a room exposed to normal day/night ambient room light.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #16063062 - 04/08/12 09:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

gm9050 said:
Need Professional Help

Mrs Rabbit has been telling me that for years.
RR

LMAO :grin:

You and me both RR, cause
The whiskey ain't working anymore.

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Need Professional Help and Tips Please [Re: HippieChick]
    #16063075 - 04/08/12 09:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey babe!  Nice to see ya pop in now and then.  Don't be such a stranger.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

#16063845 - 04/09/12 01:46 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mushroom mycelium derives energy from light at nearly all phases of growth.  If you colonize in darkness, it will take much longer and the chance of stalling is considerably higher.  You should colonize on an open shelf in a room exposed to normal day/night ambient room light.
RR

What?
No.
Unless you have read some very new, very groundbreaking study that I never saw...
Mycelium derives no energy from light. All energy production comes from breakdown of organic compounds. At most light can help mushrooms trough speeding up breakdown of some specific substances, but this is not at all the same thing as energy production.

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots

OfflineOptimusPrime
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: New York, New York
    #16063879 - 04/09/12 02:01 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

6500k  lights are definitely sold at ACE& True Value local hardware stores. 

Be careful going to Homedepot & Lowes. The main name brand lightbulb companies are lying and calling themselves "full spectrum" lights and they are not true Blue/daylight bulbs they are only 5600k mixed light. (mixed in between indoor tungsten or incandescent 3400k & 6500k outdoor/daylight)  Look for CFL bulbs that are truly 6500k bulbs for small to large(ish) grows. When I say Large(is) I mean a room a couple CFLs.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16064042 - 04/09/12 04:24 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Nalim said:

No.
Unless you have read some very new, very groundbreaking study that I never saw...
Mycelium derives no energy from light. All energy production comes from breakdown of organic compounds. At most light can help mushrooms trough speeding up breakdown of some specific substances, but this is not at all the same thing as energy production.

You're making it obvious that you're not too knowledgeable about fungi.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

#16064055 - 04/09/12 04:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have a masters degree in biology with a  large chunk of that aimed at microbiology. I did give you the benefit of a doubt there so I don't see why you come back at me with that attitude.

Fungi do not have any photosynthesis. The processes in fungi that require light are few if any. The processes that benefit from light do exist but as far as I know none of those are directly involved in energy production.

If you have other information you could just post a reference as I'd love to read that article. I have not been able to find any articles supporting your statement but if you do have a decent sorce I'd be happy to read it.

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots

Edited by Nalim (04/09/12 04:47 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix