Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon, Toothpaste

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Common Law?
    #1604780 - 06/03/03 03:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

What is the difference between a common-law marriage and a real one?

Can a common-law couple just seperate after a year or whatever and go thier seperate ways, or is there a bunch of paperwork and lawyers and crap?

My boyfriend is a Canadian Soldier and he's going to Bosnia on tour in the fall. If we are classified common-law, I get free health insurance, free dental and seperation pay that will make life quite comfortable.... I can buy a new computer! NEW!! I can get a new living room set and a new bed! A king size bed!

But...I don't really know if I want to be a common-law wife if it means I'm going to be legally, permanently tied down. I've been with this guy for about 5 years, I don't think we are going in seperate directions any time soon....

But I was just wondering about the ins and outs of this whole common-law thing. Anyone know anything? Anyone here have a common-law spouse?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Re: Common Law? [Re: CherryBom]
    #1605731 - 06/03/03 07:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hmmmmm 5 years eh?

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

OfflineWildCardsRevenge
Grade Eh Meat
 User Gallery

#1605748 - 06/03/03 07:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the difference is when you are common-law if you break up then you leave with what you came into the marriage with. There is no splitting of stuff, if you both bought something together then "legally" your suppose to either just give it to the other or sell it and you each take back what you paid for it

I also believe that it is easier for be seperated when your common law, you don't need to follow the guidelines that govern a divorce if you were actually married

Also you don't take on the others debts

thats all i can remember off the top of my head

--------------------
--------------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1605821 - 06/03/03 08:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineBalzaSteel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Common Law? [Re: afoaf]
    #23656692 - 09/18/16 09:07 PM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Cohabitation: The Law Of Living Together in Canada

Cohabitation has been around for much longer than the institution of marriage.

In fact, but not in law, the only difference was that marriage was a formal event and status, whereas cohabitation does not have nice, fancy legal goal-posts.

It wasn't always that way. The early common law did recognize, as marriage no less, a consensual relationship between husband and wife, without any formal ceremony, provided the relationship had been consummated. Hence the term common law marriage. But now, almost every jurisdictions tightly controls marriage, and the many advantages that go with it,  by imposing formal conditions: age limits, ceremony, oath etc.

When does cohabitation start?

There is no set number of occurrences of sex that constitute cohabitation.

coupleWhat about moving in with one another but with abstinence of sex?

With so much uncertainty, the common law’s most recent position on cohabitation has been to ignore it entirely. Once statute law began regulating the conditions of marriage, and unless the parties married, the common law took them as separate persons, no matter how many bacon and egg breakfasts, toothpaste or dirty laundry has been shared together.

Ironically, relationships based not on marriage but on cohabitation, have been given the vernacular moniker of "common law relationships" or even common law marriage.

there's a bit more at the link but that's the gist of it.

hope that helps

Stay Safe

BalzOut

OnlineFennario
In Nomine Lucis

Loc: Ordo Ab Chao
    #23656711 - 09/18/16 09:16 PM (2 months, 20 days ago)

I knew a guy that had a couple wives in a state where that was supposed to be illegal, but because one of his wives was a common law wife, then it was acceptable.

I don't know anything about common law marriages, but hope you and your boyfriend have a good life together, and you are able to buy some nice things you want, and your boyfriend will be safe overseas.

Invisiblefalsereality

#23656770 - 09/18/16 09:35 PM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Quote:

CherryBom said:
My boyfriend is a Canadian Soldier and he's going to Bosnia on tour in the fall.  If we are classified common-law, I get free health insurance, free dental and seperation pay that will make life quite comfortable.... I can buy a new computer!  NEW!!  I can get a new living room set and a new bed!  A king size bed!

But...I don't really know if I want to be a common-law wife if it means I'm going to be legally, permanently tied down.  I've been with this guy for about 5 years, I don't think we are going in seperate directions any time soon....

But I was just wondering about the ins and outs of this whole common-law thing.  Anyone know anything?  Anyone here have a common-law spouse?

Well, i guess in a real marriage you would be more concerned with your SO getting deployed to a war-torn country than getting a new computer, and in a common-law marriage, well... same difference.

Not sarcastically speaking, the legal benefits of marriage usually come after a specified period of cohabitation.

Edited by falsereality (09/18/16 09:35 PM)

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Common Law? [Re: BalzaSteel]
    #23657127 - 09/18/16 11:50 PM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Way to bump a 13 year old thread :facepalm:

--------------------

Offlinegoldcaphunter
exploring
Male User Gallery

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Common Law? [Re: Masked] * 1
    #23657376 - 09/19/16 01:27 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

:mygoditsfullofstars:
Now I'm curious about what ended up happening

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL Chaos
Cyclical Life Cycle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Common Law? [Re: goldcaphunter] * 1
    #23657510 - 09/19/16 02:45 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

What happened CherryBom?! I need to Neeeeuuuwww! :wtfsonic:

--------------------
The edible-acid (or edible-shroom) contest - ends Janurary 31st, 2017
Wanna Smoke DMT out of this? http://aqualabtechnologies.com/envy-glass-electroformed-quartz-dab-rig.html
:sanpedro::bongload:  Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana - This is Pure Psychedelic Synergy:bongload::sanpedro:
:rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Method (WARNING: NOT FOR NOOBIES!) :rainbowdrink:
Subjective Variations in Various Mushroom Species
:shpongle:Shpongle said: Like the Universe sitting on your face, Plugged into Gaia's Brain, in a Wyrd dripping Cavernous Labyrinth.
Following the String of Semi-Madness, Brain Gymnastics, Sonic Elastics, Frying the Mind Circuits.:shpongle:
:coaster:
My Simple Mycelium (Ps. cubenis) Cultivation & Extraction Project

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Re: Common Law? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #23657815 - 09/19/16 07:32 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

Well since I was 21, and this thread is 13 years old it's safe to say we broke up.

He came home with a drinking problem and I didn't know how to deal with that, so I left.  It's too bad.  He was a my highschool sweetheart, and probably loved me more then anyone ever did in this lifetime.  We were just way too young to know how to navigate this life together with the challenges that we were facing.

I do come across as a very selfish young lady in the original post.  I had no idea how to deal with him, myself, our situation.  I was very free spirited, and he was very routine regimented.  I didn't belong on the military base.  We loved each other very  much, but life had other plans for us.

I think about him often.  :heart:

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek

#23657855 - 09/19/16 07:51 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

I'm sure a lot of us have similar young love stories.  Interesting bump and then rare delivery from OP.  Thanks for not leaving anyone hanging, Bom..

OnlineFennario
In Nomine Lucis

Loc: Ordo Ab Chao
    #23658166 - 09/19/16 10:54 AM (2 months, 19 days ago)

Quote:

CherryBom said:
We were just way too young to know how to navigate this life together with the challenges that we were facing.
:

I didn't check the date this thread was posted, so hope what I posted above didn't rekindle any bad feelings.

I was in a relationship like that though, got into it at a young age, and didn't really know what I wanted in life regarding a number of things, and that indecisive mind set was not good, my ex was the same way, we both were young a dumb.:grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon, Toothpaste

Community >> The Pub