Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time...
    #1603002 - 06/02/03 11:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Do you remember back to when you were younger, when they first landed on the moon? If you cannot remember this timeless event in history (as I cannot), then you are from a generation more closely to my own. One thing I have noticed is that you're always hearing about new things discovered or new theories accepted as possible when it comes to the study of space. What does this mean? Nothing really, but think back to when the moon landing happened. Was dark matter predicted? What about the black hole in the middle of our solar system that's caused the eliptical orbit all our planets have? Was that thought about back then? I don't think so....

Our (combined) knowledge of space is growing each and every day, so much so that today's data might be proved false by tomorrow's discovery. It's been seen time and time again - one day the string theory will be proven either true or false, and then what? Infinity is a hard concept to grasp for beings that put quantification on everything - "I have ten minutes before these 3 things have to get done or I wont get my 700 dollar paycheque" .. you get the idea...

What I'm trying to get at is next time some of you close your mind to the possibility of someone else being correct, even though it conflicts with your current world-view or belief system, step back, and hear what they have to say. When it comes to spirituality, everyone has different experiences and therefor a different frame of reference.

One who never speaks, is one who is never wrong

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time... [Re: nubious]
    #1603046 - 06/02/03 11:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, excellent post, and a really good analogy!! :laugh:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1603400 - 06/03/03 02:13 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

"Do you remember back to when you were younger, when they first landed on the moon?"
----------------------
No....  But I remember when the Commodore Vic 20 came out !!!!!

"Our (combined) knowledge of space is growing each and every day, so much so that today's data might be proved false by tomorrow's discovery."
-----------------------

It's funny, but many times when that happens, it was due to a mistake of some sort.

I really like your input !!!  :grin:

"One who never speaks, is one who is never wrong."
-----------------------

I think that I would argue it is relative to publicly.

I can think many things about my sister's fiance, but it may not all be right... even if I keep it to myself. 

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1603406 - 06/03/03 02:16 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

there's a black hole in our solar system? HOLY SHIT! run for your lives!

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Re: Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time... [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1604105 - 06/03/03 11:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Feel free to support my analogy by hookin' me up with those 5 shrooms everyone strives for :smile:

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
    #1604297 - 06/03/03 01:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i watched a whole documentary on how that moon landing might have very well been staged, i think it was on discovery. I for one do not understand the goal of science, searching for what? the truth of how we came into exsistance, does it really matter? is this where my tax dollars go?MAn/science is quickly becoming the bane of societies exsistance, but that doesnt seem to be stopping them from developing intelligent robots, an apocalyptic breach in societies mainframe, but oh well eh, isnt that what most people would say, oh fuckin well.

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Edited by ViBrAnT (06/03/03 01:06 PM)

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time... [Re: ViBrAnT]
    #1605497 - 06/03/03 06:31 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We spend a lot of time charting nebula and giving stars names that are no more than long strings of numbers and letters. At the same time, we ignore and even suppress those human explorers who are working to chart the many different plains and possibilities of existence.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time... [Re: Ped]
    #1605666 - 06/03/03 07:26 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well duh... you can't slap a corporate logo on a plain of existence now can you?

OfflinePala
Dharma Bum

Loc: Within You Without You
Re: Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time... [Re: Grav]
    #1605801 - 06/03/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

nubious:
"one day the string theory will be proven either true or false"

One of the co-founders (along with Michio Kaku and others) of string theory, Edward Witten, is a professor at the university that I go to. He works at the Institute for Advanced Study.

I agree with your analysis, but it seems to me that what you describe is almost necessary for scientific advances. Something is believed, then disproven, and so on, giving us (hopefully) an ever-improving understanding of our physical world.

--------------------
huh????

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Re: Space, darkmatter, and the discoveries of our time... [Re: Pala]
    #1605898 - 06/03/03 08:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

well duh... you can't slap a corporate logo on a plain of existence now can you?

Hahahaha.. "And if you look to your left, you'll notice the red dwarf NC5682640-28. It was much more beautiful before Microsoft embedded their logo on it by bending it's projected photons, but none the less, still something to witness..."

Quote:

I agree with your analysis, but it seems to me that what you describe is almost necessary for scientific advances. Something is believed, then disproven, and so on, giving us (hopefully) an ever-improving understanding of our physical world.

I'm not saying I disagree with the way things progress, I'm just trying to help people understand why it's important to keep an open mind...

Thanks for your input guys!!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology