Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Loc: North GA, God's fav
Trusted Identifier
doctorghosty '12 North GA (updated 8/26, BECAUSE IT WAS THERE)
    #16027189 - 04/01/12 12:40 AM (12 years, 5 hours ago)

so I'm copying my boy bloodworm (and others) and updating 1 thread throughout the year rather than continuing to have a random assortment of weekly posts titled 'springtime walk, bananarama, tuxedo silverfish' etc. I hope that is amenable to the Shroomery powers that be and regulars alike.

it's been a nice mild weekend here in the A and I have been out a lot. And the lacrymaria lacrymabunda are out in force, weilii hunters. Here are some posh neighborhood specimens

and here are a couple of unruly creekside LLs I ran into later on

note the 'well, I never!'-esque attitude of the neighborhood LLs. Also note the defiant 'well now you do' swag of the creeksiderz. so now i'm in the sandy creek tributaries of the Chattahoochee log hoppin, smacking skeeters and sneaking a bowl here and there.

this kind toad

was a far, far more patient subject than this diva of a translucent petaled flower

the green leaves beneath the flower aren't part of it but they were super helpful in propping up the flower which wouldn't stop quivering in the wind. I think the flower is considering hiring them on as full time staffers so expect a small bump in the next job report. At this point in the day someone not-too-important in the realm of mushroom deities must have rubbed his hands ominously together and then pulled a giant lever that said "Devil's Urns and Brackets"

and I might act annoyed about the lever pulling (bc shit, go ahead and pull the psilocybe weilii lever if you're just going to be pulling levers willy nilly) but I gladly took a bunch of pics of these weirdos, so, really I thank god for the lever pull.

now for two mushrooms that puzzled me a tad. First, this guy

I'd guess it's la-la-la-laccaria, maybe a little weather worn, bc it had this little guy growing right next door

but I don't know. It was growing on the sandy banks of the bend in a creek where a bunch of debris had accumulated in a bottleneck of logs and sticks and tennis balls and nearly a million water bottles. And one child sized shoe. For a sec I was like, omg, I wonder if the little tyke is Ok! but then I was like, fuck it, it's not my job to sort out forestry footwear. If I saw a leg stump, I would have stepped in, I swears it.

Ok, now for Mr. Mystery #2, which I did no research on aside from poking it with my fingers. It's so weird I figure it's gotta be some kind of rare brazilian morel favored by the golden crested marmoset for its nutty, grub-like qualities.

so I gave it a nice squeeze and, like far far too many things in nature, it shot a tiny bit of white goo at me when squozen (I know it's not a word, but it fn should be). I was getting swarmed by spiders taking these pics, like multiples on each arm, so I didn't have a ton to choose from. None were poisonous, but pictures rarely are. The spiders looked to be a mixed collection of gigantic mutant daddy longlegs with heads the size of tangerines so they can actually bite your entire shit up, no tiny mouth restrictions.

As fn gross as it looks I reckon it must be a choice edible as that is generally how that works IME. Let me sneak in a few more flower shots while nobody is looking

and I don't know what kind of bush this is but judging from the big pile of dead bears below it, I'm not eating any of those cool looking berries.

[url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/12-13/325434368-hpim4210.jpg][image]/forums/thumbs/12-13/325434368-thumb_
I got this little envelope with my pressure cooker and now use it for shake storage and also, very occasionally, for sight gags on the internet.

this guy looks like he belongs on the ocean floor

huntin the Hooch

I found this guy growing all by himself (but that bo-turtle shell is mine, don't let the mushroom tell you no different).

Stem was fiberous and bruised yellow. Partial veil still attached. Cap fragile. Smell indistinct. Perhaps agrocybe praecox?

this feller says his sody pop was new when he started drinking it.

and some good looking oysters and some jargantic oysters

I gotta go to bed, this is getting really rambly. I bet I find a thousands of typos in the morning. I'll prob update tomorrow even though I have 2 fantasy baseball drafts encroaching upon my hunting time.

Oh, I forgot to mention I found a shit ton of bright shiny green Georgia ovoids today too, pics & microscopy later. April Fools!

DGH

Edited by doctorghosty (10/01/12 07:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: doctorghosty]
    #16027205 - 04/01/12 12:43 AM (12 years, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

I got this little envelope with my pressure cooker and now use it for shake storage and also, very occasionally, for sight gags on the internet.

Hmm, looks like Mexican.

Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
    #16027214 - 04/01/12 12:46 AM (12 years, 5 hours ago)

Great post, ghosty! Myster shroom #1 is quite interesting. Was it growing from the sand or actually buried woody material? Looks like deadly Galerina or maybe Pholiotina :shrug: Mystery shroom #2 looks like a Calostoma species of some sort! Haven't found these squirty buggers yet. Some great stuff in here, I look forward to future updates :cheers:

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Offlinediscomfort
peace to all
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land "O" Cyanescens
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: suchen]
    #16027261 - 04/01/12 12:57 AM (12 years, 5 hours ago)

Awesome post and great pictures. Very interesting and fun. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Looks like we are in mushroom country.

Peace
jon

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16027840 - 04/01/12 05:45 AM (12 years, 50 minutes ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

Hmm, looks like Mexican.

It tastes Alabama-n

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: suchen]
    #16027868 - 04/01/12 06:03 AM (12 years, 32 minutes ago)

Quote:

suchen said:
Great post, ghosty! Myster shroom #1 is quite interesting. Was it growing from the sand or actually buried woody material? Looks like deadly Galerina or maybe Pholiotina :shrug: Mystery shroom #2 looks like a Calostoma species of some sort! Haven't found these squirty buggers yet. Some great stuff in here, I look forward to future updates :cheers:

Thanks suchen, I appreciate it! Mystery shroom #1 appeared to be growing directly from the sandy soil. Thanks for the calostoma ID & link also, those things are weird as hell & really interesting. I hope my GA thread is half as good as yalls FL threads. Probably won't be this year but with some practice maybe i'll be competitive by 2025.

Or 2023 if I go on roids.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: discomfort]
    #16027874 - 04/01/12 06:04 AM (12 years, 31 minutes ago)

Quote:

discomfort said:
Awesome post and great pictures. Very interesting and fun. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks D

Offlinewintersbefore
Trust me I'm a mycologist
Female User Gallery

Loc: Vonore, TN
Trusted Identifier
    #16027917 - 04/01/12 06:23 AM (12 years, 11 minutes ago)

It is nice to see what people are finding in different regions, while you can do that on MO, I like these kinds of threads because they have alot of personality, I loved the "rare Brazilian Morel" I have found Calostoma lutescens here in Tennessee, it is sort of a dingy yellowish color, that might be what you have.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: wintersbefore]
    #16028051 - 04/01/12 07:17 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks, I noticed that when you find something, I've been finding it down here 2-3 days later pretty reliably. Even those agrocybe putiminum. So now, I need you to find some gnarly purple gyms please and thank you. And maybe some ovoids & weilii while you're at it.

I just had a thought and this may not even be allowed, but would anybody be interested in documenting the expansion of p. Weilii beyond the current known collection locations? We could just assign counties just outside the known range and then the person would be responsible for finding p weilii there + pics before they get their next county on the edge of the known range. Nothing at stake but science, starting today, ending never. We'd be like the weilii knights templar.

Could be fun, IMO. And it wouldnt really violate any meetup rules bc it would be individual Shroomerites hunting their assigned area in whatever way they see fit. Any of my fellow p weilii hunter ppl out there interested in showing the range of these little beauties?

The best part is, even if you've never found them you can join in and take a county & worst case scenario you dont find a mushroom that isnt known to exist there in the first place. I wonder if I should start a new thread for this.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16028078 - 04/01/12 07:29 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Yes that is allowed.  Do it.  I have been keeping track of the weilii range on the wikipedia page.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #16028402 - 04/01/12 09:22 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Yes that is allowed.  Do it.  I have been keeping track of the weilii range on the wikipedia page.

I'm gonna do it. I think I'll start with the 4 county square of resistance on your map known as Gilmer, Pickens, Floyd, and Gordon. Seems like as good a starting point as any.

InvisibleRiverDweller1
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #16028421 - 04/01/12 09:31 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Great thread DrGhosty. You make the adventure fun!

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: RiverDweller1]
    #16028563 - 04/01/12 10:11 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RiverDweller1 said:
Great thread DrGhosty. You make the adventure fun!

thanks RD, I learned it by watching you, alright? I learned it by watching YOUUUUUU!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DY-Elr5K2Vuo&v=Y-Elr5K2Vuo&gl=US#watch_actions

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #16028591 - 04/01/12 10:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

that PSA and the ones with the pot smokers driving thru the little kid on the bike are head to head for best PSA ever IMHO

InvisibleRiverDweller1
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #16028599 - 04/01/12 10:23 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:lol:  good stuff!

Invisiblemaynardjameskeenan
The white stipes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Merica
Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: RiverDweller1]
    #16028954 - 04/01/12 12:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Great post man! You have been put up some great stuff lately. Keep it up, good luck and happy hunting. :banana:

--------------------
May you be filled with loving kindness.
May you be well.
May you be peaceful and at ease.
May you be happy.

AMU Q&A

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: maynardjameskeenan]
    #16030561 - 04/01/12 06:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

maynardjameskeenan said:
Great post man! You have been put up some great stuff lately. Keep it up, good luck and happy hunting. :banana:

thanks a lot bro, I'm thrilled to finally know juuuuuust enough to contribute after a few years of just lurking and reading.

and 'juuuuuuust enough' sometimes means I make incorrect IDs, as I did this afternoon as I excitedly thought I'd found some panaeolus cinctulus which turned out to be some regular ol' panaeolina foenisecii after some prints were taken. pics just the same:

still a pretty little mushroom,  cintulus or cinctu-less.

Question for all you big brained life experiencers out there, say you're picking pan foes (like I was today, to take pics of and bc I thought they were something else) anyways, a cop rolls up and gets all John Law, talkin 'bout community safety and dangerous chemicals, does it even matter that the mushrooms you have are inactive? or do the wheels of US justice jolt dumbly into motion just bc OP has mushrooms on him?

I can't imagine me explaining they're foenisecii would make the cop any less likely to want to do some porky cop shit. So say then they take you to jail on various drug related charges for the mushrooms they assume are active. Is there a test done at any point to determine whether they have any active compounds or is that just taken as granted?

just curious if anyone has any insight into that.

back to the hunt

I found these little guys in the same general vicinity of the pan foe bonanza I foolishly populated my afternoon with. Except these were growing from mostly dirt and pinestraw (and a nice cake of pine pollen on everything). They had red stems and kinda looked a little like mystery mushroom #1 from the sandy creekside. They were very fragile and I nearly inhaled a pin trying to smell them. they were pretty tiny so I can't tell you much about them other than the pins looked like matchsticks.

Are they just shriveled up foes that grew up on the wrong side of the shade line?

or is there something more sinister afoot??

Oh, and those are all the same femur, I don't have like a whole bunch of femurs laying around with mushrooms growing up thru them (although that would be awesome).

and now, since I was out looking for mushrooms, here's a small dose of lacrymaria lacrymabunda which literally haunt me like so many stink-lines and flies above a garbage can with a fish skeleton on top in a cartoon.

I like to call lacrymaria lacrymabunda an indicator species for some unspecified amount of water having been present at that location some time in the last 4-8 years.

this is just a small update due to panaeolina interference and fantasy baseball. Felix Hernandez do that stuff.

remember friends, 'take it sleazy' is just how heroes tell each other 'I love you'.

DGH

Edited by doctorghosty (04/01/12 08:23 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #16030875 - 04/01/12 07:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

doctorghostyhead said:
I'm gonna do it. I think I'll start with the 4 county square of resistance on your map known as Gilmer, Pickens, Floyd, and Gordon. Seems like as good a starting point as any.

Another thing that needs to be done is microscopy on all weilii finds to see if some could be P. caerulescens.

There is this collection from South Carolina:

http://mushroomobserver.org/11974

I suspect that P. caerulescens may be conspecific with P. weilii, based on microscopic and DNA evidence.  More work needs to be done.  If that is the case, the caerulescens name takes priority and the range extends to South Carolina.  A couple months ago I told Andrew Weil that the mushroom named after him might be conspecific with P. caerulescens.  He took it pretty well, didn't seem too bummed, but he immediately excused himself to call Paul Stamets, who told him "I don't know man..."

Quote:

Question for all you big brained life experiencers out there, say you're picking pan foes (like I was today, to take pics of and bc I thought they were something else) anyways, a cop rolls up and gets all John Law, talkin 'bout community safety and dangerous chemicals, does it even matter that the mushrooms you have are inactive? or do the wheels of US justice jolt dumbly into motion just bc OP has mushrooms on him?

I can't imagine me explaining they're foenisecii would make the cop any less likely to want to do some porky cop shit. So say then they take you to jail on various drug related charges for the mushrooms they assume are active. Is there a test done at any point to determine whether they have any active compounds or is that just taken as granted?

I don't think you should ever tell a cop that you are picking Panaeolina foenisecii.  He will google the name on his smart phone and find incorrectly that they contain psilocybin, and will then have probable cause to arrest you.  The lab will test the mushrooms with GC/MS and you'll be cleared at your first or second court date a couple months later.  But you will always have a felony arrest on your record, and it will cost around $5000 to bail out of jail.  You could put up $5000 that you would get back, or use a bail bondsman and put up $1000, which you wouldn't get back.  Either way, you lose.

Always pick many mushrooms, not just little brown ones, so you look like a legit mushroom hunter.  Don't hide your mushrooms.  If a cop asks what you are doing, tell him you are picking edible mushrooms, or mushrooms to study under the microscope, and that they are definitely not psychedelic.  Eagerly show the cop many species of mushrooms, especially big colorful ones which will distract the officer.

InvisibleGravija
Make way for the cavalcade
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #16030896 - 04/01/12 07:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup: nice thread Doc. :lol: that Calostoma got SQUOZE!

--------------------
Listen to my music

Here

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: doctorghostyhead 2012 [Re: Gravija]
    #16035764 - 04/02/12 08:36 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks man, if we can just get one more person on the squoze/squozen/squozeded bandwagon we'll have that in the dictionary in no time. If 'frenemy' is in a dictionary, I will not rest until squoze is in there as well.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom