Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibled fuNk22
Mycology Pervert
What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars???
    #1601675 - 06/02/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I have read many texts explaining the "right" way to colonize millet spawn in quart jars.

Some people say to steep the birdseed prior to placing it in the jar for pressure cooking; others say that you simply add the dry seed and water amounts in the jars and then pressure cook, as the seeds are steeped in the pressure cooking thus no need to boil them first...

So what do you do? My buddy thinks it's best to add dry seed and water in the jar and a knife tip of gypsum. then simply shake jars after pressure cooking, let cool and inoculate and incubate.

Thoughts, suggesstions, arguments?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAGICSNOOP
mob boss
Loc: bud park
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: d fuNk22]
    #1601689 - 06/02/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

justb follow 6T's birs seed tek it works great. no need to boil the seed first. read the tek its works

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1603007 - 06/02/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Birdseed is tough.Rehydrate for a day at room temp(softens it up and lets those nasty lil endospores hatch). Strain 1 hour,and PC for 60 minutes.Let sit 12-24 hours and PC again for 60 mins.(Fractional sterilization).Should be just about right.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Invisibled fuNk22
Mycology Pervert
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: shroomophile]
    #1603604 - 06/03/03 02:43 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

shroomophile, your advice sounds like bull shit to me.

why would someone want to go through all that hassle when the same results can be achieved with pint cakes?

my friend is trying to do this with as little as work as possible...

i think he'll just add 130mL of millet seed to 80mL of water with some gypsum and pressure cook @ 15 PSI for 60 minutes, open up and shake and let cool.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #1605013 - 06/03/03 02:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I just fill 350ml volume birdseed (mostly millet but contained some wheat and rye in it) direct to every 1lt volume jar, add 250ml tap water with 1/4 metric tea spoon gypsum and leave the jars at room temp for 24hrs with a cap on top. The wait is no work, I go do something else. Then pressure cooked at 15psi for 1hr & 15 minutes. Pull it out whilst still hot and shake it or it sets, even with the gypsum. Let it cool and then hit it up. That's it. Mycelium white and thick. No rince and all that caper, don't need to as the seed is good stuff.

Hasn't failed on that ratio or method. But different grains vary and there's mile of choices at my pet store. My first lot was way too dry, 1.5 grain to 1 water just didn't cut it. Mycelium refused to move much and when I tipped it out it was almost like dry sand but it smelled fine. Two grains batches in experiments later and now happy with what I get. Done the same ratio again on straight millet today. Shook fine and water content ok.

So try a few ratios, but I think the 24hr soak wait is a vital preventative measure because it's nothing compared to the down time of a bodged run. Why take the gamble?

BTW, dunno how you say it's more effort than cakes, IMO it's a shit load less. Try making PF cakes with glasses because you can't get kerr and ball shoulderless jars in Oz. Knocking up foil tops is tedious and I wish I never bothered and went straight to grain. Then factor in too the raging debate on the lower potency of BRF shrooms to those grown on millet, plus the fact that casings leave cakes for dead in terms of yield. Ounce for pound, grains are the go...even with the extra "time step" involved. PF cakes are the fluro of the indoor grower. Grains the HID. They have a lot more scope.

Finally, why be a rude ingrate to shroomophile? You asked the question, he gave a civil answer (based obviously on the cat he knows who does this) and you rip him one. Funny way to go about it when you've titled your moniker as "newbie" and jump on a 4 shroom member. If it wasn't for sites like this and full of experienced people I simply wouldn't be growing mushies. Show some appreciation.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1605026 - 06/03/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

millet is very over rated imo.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1605495 - 06/03/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Birdseed and millet are not the same.

I pour in 8 oz (volumetric) of millet non-hulled (has hull). Add water until the top layer of millet just floats. Pop on a poly-fill rigged plastic lid w/ foil over the top and PC for 45 min to an hour.

My contam rate is less than 2%.

Please remember to respect the other users of this board. Communication usually works better when insults are kept away.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (06/03/03 04:32 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1605808 - 06/03/03 06:02 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

play nice now...

shroomophile is half right...not sure about the fractional
sterilization bit though...

birdseed, as with any other grain, is done most simply by
soaking for 24-48 hours, rinsing, draining and loading into
jars as is.

pc for 60-90.

steeping, preboiling and worrying about ratios is for the birds.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: afoaf]
    #1606080 - 06/03/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

steeping, preboiling and worrying about ratios is for the birds.

Agreed.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: dog]
    #1606113 - 06/03/03 07:58 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Why would you ask if you already know the "right" way to do it according to you?

Here is how it works:

If you just put dry seed and water into a jar, several things happen.

1. The water content is not evenly distributed. You have more moisture at the bottom and less at the top. Just shaking doesn't cause the dryer kernels to absorb more water, it just coats them in water.

2. You have dormant endospores (contams!) that may survive pressure cooking. These are tough grains and the super heated steam may not enter and evenly heat everything. A few endospores can spell disaster.

3. You have to thoroughly shake every jar in your attempt to even out the moisture content. This is a lot of work for many jars.

Soaking dry bird seed for 24-48 hours prior to PC'ng has the following advantages over the preceeding issues:

1. Water content is optimal and evenly distributed. Not worrying about measuring or getting ratios right.

2. You have germinated the majority of endospores that are now very susceptible to steam sterilization.

3. No shaking. Dump soaked grain into jars, PC, let cool, and you are ready.

Soaking the grain is the easiest method. Its not a matter of opinion. There are no downsides to it, other then the 24-48 hour wait.

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: calicyco]
    #1606171 - 06/03/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

what does it mean to drain....is this really necessary?

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1617011 - 06/07/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

One mans bullshit is another mans treasure.
The reason you use birdseed or any other grain is the increased yield.It's more trouble but It's worth it in IMO.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: shroomophile]
    #1618746 - 06/08/03 04:20 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Birdseed is tough.Rehydrate for a day at room temp(softens it up and lets those nasty lil endospores hatch). Strain 1 hour,and PC for 60 minutes.Let sit 12-24 hours and PC again for 60 mins.(Fractional sterilization).Should be just about right.

This is the advice that i wish i had heard to tell the foaf before he did his fisrt big batch of wbs a la 6T. he made the mistake of not draining long enough, which left water residue over all the glass, and didnt pc again the next day. this resulted in 100% of his jars resulting in bacterial contamination-"wet spot". the endospores survived and because of their quick rate of multiplying, took over the foaf's jars. so im sayin that this advice is well worth it for the ppl with semi dirty and worse environments. thanks shroomophile, cause the foaf is doing exactly as you said for the next time.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: jakeholman]
    #1636685 - 06/16/03 04:14 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

works well for me

--------------------
anything i might say is just something i heard from the voices in my head
uneasy1

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: uneasyone]
    #1636988 - 06/16/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Fractional sterilization is a good advice if you're having problem with contamination.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: MAIA]
    #1637046 - 06/16/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The FAQ will bring clarity: Fractional Sterilization

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: houshroom]
    #1687857 - 07/05/03 11:13 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I was waiting on millet to colonise and in process of making another batch to get a pic to demonstrate my points.

IMO, the rinsing of birdseed or millet is an unnecessary and messy step and it washes out nutes. As I said in this post, 350ml seed to 250ml water plus 1/4 metric teaspoon gypsum per jar (1lt) and leave for 24hrs. I've let it go longer and it starts to smell alcoholic, it still works. Then PC at 15psi for 75 minutes. One stop job, all in the jar. That's it.

This applies to millet as it does birdseed. Same shit. One has a few bits of rye in it, whoopy-doo. The ratio stays the same and I have found no problems doing so.

I've also tested with PC'ing it again for 75 minutes 24 hrs later. Again, works fine. So, the seed doesn't turn to a glue mush. I guess it's worth doing (fractional sterilisation) if you cop contamination on only one (1) PC'ing?

Colonised grain mass above base due to inverting the jars to drain Co2. Speeds up colonisation. As you can see, the seed (millet) sinks, and what doesn't is covered in water (same ratio as said). Same again with birdseed. It's not like it sits proud of the drink like a boat and stays dry. It's all 100% soaked. No nute "wash out". No mess in the kitchen. No unnecessary rinsing. Tidy and quick. The ratio given is the maximum for a 1lt jar. Why do folks want to rinse seed and make a mess? Wet seed sticks to everything. Keep in the jar.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: Starter]
    #1689538 - 07/06/03 03:31 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yawn...
And now some factual comments...
Firstly, Millet has a higher precursor AND nutrient content than rye grain or brown rice - therefore it will higher yields, healthier fruits and above all - greater potency. If anyone here says its not worth trying, it because they couldn't use it - simple.
Once you've grown cubensis off millet, you will see the significant difference - puts brf/rye to bed.
The ratios and the steeping arent really necessary - Ive never steeped, just soaked for an hour to make sure it soaks up moisture. As long as it is sterile, moist, but not soaking, it will colonise. Dont make the mistake of over complicating.
Here are some fat bastards for you to see:

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1689539 - 07/06/03 03:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: What's your opinion on Millet Seed Quart Jars??? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1689551 - 07/06/03 03:45 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice blue meanie!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale