Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleK1ngSp4de
CHUT UP!!!
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW
    #15993994 - 03/25/12 01:19 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/03/marijuana_dispensary_workers_t.php

Source: LA Weekly

It's going to be a lot tougher for L.A. politicians to wage their war on pot shops when dispensary workers belong to the same unions that City Hall is in bed with.
United Food and Commercial Workers -- and UFCW Local 770, in particular -- has decided to take medical-marijuana dispensary workers under its massive and powerful wing. Tomorrow morning, the union is set to announce that...

... "health care and grocery workers will welcome the medical cannabis workers and their successful organizing campaign into their union."

Rick Icaza, president of UFCW Local 770, totally legitimizes the pot industry in his press release:

"This is the next step in professionalizing and stabilizing this new sector of the health care industry. Unionization and collective bargaining bring better training, less turnover, and more stability to the health care industry. This is a positive step towards successfully integrating compassionate care into our system of health care."
The announcement will be made at Los Angeles County Federation of Labor headquarters downtown -- aka, L.A. City Hall's one-stop shop for campaign donations and endorsements. Democrats have even been known to clean toilets and change bedpans for the federation's coveted thumbs-up.

LA Weekly reported one month ago that these same pols were on the brink of a citywide marijuana-dispensary ban:

Now, City Attorney Carmen Trutanich and City Council District 14 representative Jose Huizar are pushing an ordinance to ban all marijuana dispensaries. The motion has passed the L.A. City Council's Public Safety Committee and the Planning Commission, and could be decided by the full City Council in a matter of weeks -- or days.
Word is, several members of the deeply split council are ready to approve a ban.

Under City Attorney Carmen Trutanich, L.A. officials have taken an extremely skeptical stance on what really goes on at the city's oft-rogue pot shops.

When the federal crackdown began late last year, Special Assistant City Attorney Jane Usher told the Weekly that "each and every" dispensary that the office had investigated seemed to be getting its supply from some sketchy unknown source, and was serving hundreds of thousands of "patients" who fit a rather non-patient profile.

"I can offer you no story that doesn't fit this stereotype," Usher said.

Needless to say, a partnership between L.A.'s largest labor unions and L.A.'s most disrespected laborers would make aforementioned stance a little awkward.

"My coworkers and I have joined UFCW Local 770 because we want to protect and preserve good jobs and access to affordable healthcare that responsible medical cannabis dispensaries can provide," an employee at the Venice Beach Care Center says in the presser.

Imagine that!

--------------------
                                    PC Repair and Troubleshooting Forum

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
                                                - Thomas Jefferson

Si peccasse negamus fallimur et nulla est in nobis veritas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenewgui
मशरूम की दोस्त
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: K1ngSp4de] * 1
    #15994028 - 03/25/12 01:27 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

:congrats:

--------------------
http://picnic1.bandcamp.com/

:vegan:

OfflineImmortal Corrupter
Elevator Eater
Male

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: newgui]
    #15994148 - 03/25/12 01:56 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

Now that's awesome

--------------------
where's my lap dance?
.:nonono:
/OO\
/ (y) \
  //\

(\\__/)
( O.o )
( > < )
What poor gods we do make

InvisibleSham87
mashAllah
Male

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: Immortal Corrupter]
    #15994201 - 03/25/12 02:06 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

:Awemazing:

--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:

...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...

:feelsgoatman:

OfflineLegalLife420
Stranger

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: Sham87]
    #15994409 - 03/25/12 03:00 PM (12 years, 6 days ago)

:awepreciation:

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: LegalLife420] * 1
    #15995035 - 03/25/12 05:08 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/18/22 02:50 PM)

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #15998032 - 03/26/12 09:54 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

And the next chapter .....

:popcorn:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: K1ngSp4de]
    #15998063 - 03/26/12 10:04 AM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:
"This is the next step in professionalizing and stabilizing this new sector of the health care industry.

:huxleyfacepalm:

Are liquor store workers already part of this union, or will they be added to the 'health care industry' at a later point?

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: koraks]
    #15998841 - 03/26/12 01:32 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

K1ngSp4de said:
"This is the next step in professionalizing and stabilizing this new sector of the health care industry.

:huxleyfacepalm:

Are liquor store workers already part of this union, or will they be added to the 'health care industry' at a later point?

This system of medicinal cannabis may be a bit far fetched, but you have to be able to admit that cannabis DOES have medicinal uses and qualities...come on man! Comparing it to alcohol is a bit of a stretch in that regard (though I understand your quarrel with the point) :peace:

I am glad to see this happen :laugh:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

InvisibleMeteloides
Clinically Expressed

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #15998912 - 03/26/12 01:50 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

supernovasky said:
Who still hates unions?

Me.
I would much rather see the medical cannabis industry rise or fall on its own merits and the opinion of the public. Them being indebted to the massive unions is not going to help things remain uncorrupted in the long run.

--------------------
:smoking:

Offlinerunningfox2002
Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #15998920 - 03/26/12 01:51 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

So it went from One muscle to another.  Lol union bosses are the next drug kingpins!

--------------------
                              ...to have some fun?                            Nobody knows :wink:

Anything I say or talk about is strictly for my own search of knowledge and to satisfy my thirst of curiosity.

Offlinesk8ordude
Stranger
Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: runningfox2002]
    #15998931 - 03/26/12 01:54 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

As long as the people get their medicine.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: Meteloides]
    #15998982 - 03/26/12 02:03 PM (12 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Meteloides said:
Quote:

supernovasky said:
Who still hates unions?

Me.
I would much rather see the medical cannabis industry rise or fall on its own merits and the opinion of the public. Them being indebted to the massive unions is not going to help things remain uncorrupted in the long run.

If we did not have unions, many of the employee's rights and things of that nature that we take for granted, would not be there.

I hate when people bash unions for what is seemingly just....a want to bash unions. Its like they don't recognize WHY unions were created; protecting workers rights and ensuring equal treatment.

Its a blessing that this union has taken on medical cannabis employee's!!

Americans = very very short memories :sad: (or not being aware of enough history /rant)

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #16002502 - 03/27/12 07:58 AM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

LongStrangeTrip said:

This system of medicinal cannabis may be a bit far fetched, but you have to be able to admit that cannabis DOES have medicinal uses and qualities...come on man! Comparing it to alcohol is a bit of a stretch in that regard (though I understand your quarrel with the point) :peace:

Well, so does alcohol. It's just never prescribed because of the negative side effects and because more effective/specific treatments are available. Also, I'm not arguing that cannabis has no medical uses; on the contrary. What I'd like to see is that the 'medical' mj industry in the US simply owned up to the fact that 99% of their users have no clear/specific indication for the medical use of cannabis, but they use it recreational. There's nothing wrong with that, but selling it off as a medical thing just doesn't work for me - but I can tell that you know what I mean. So that's where my slightly acidic comment came from - there's too much bullshit and smokescreens in this medical/legalize cannabis debate. I believe the issue should be stripped down to its essence: do we allow the recreational use of cannabis or not? Plain and simple.

Having said that, I have nothing against the workers in weed dispensaries, against medical or recreational cannabis users or against the existence of a medical mj industry. It's all fine by me. But I think that selling medical cannabis for recreational purposes on a large scale is not a sustainable business model. It's going to stop at some point.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: koraks]
    #16002723 - 03/27/12 09:31 AM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

LongStrangeTrip said:

Well, so does alcohol. It's just never prescribed because of the negative side effects and because more effective/specific treatments are available. Also, I'm not arguing that cannabis has no medical uses; on the contrary. What I'd like to see is that the 'medical' mj industry in the US simply owned up to the fact that 99% of their users have no clear/specific indication for the medical use of cannabis, but they use it recreational. There's nothing wrong with that, but selling it off as a medical thing just doesn't work for me - but I can tell that you know what I mean. So that's where my slightly acidic comment came from - there's too much bullshit and smokescreens in this medical/legalize cannabis debate. I believe the issue should be stripped down to its essence: do we allow the recreational use of cannabis or not? Plain and simple.

Having said that, I have nothing against the workers in weed dispensaries, against medical or recreational cannabis users or against the existence of a medical mj industry. It's all fine by me. But I think that selling medical cannabis for recreational purposes on a large scale is not a sustainable business model. It's going to stop at some point.

99% is a stretch. I know enough medical patients with serious conditions to void that one.

But your right, we should just get over it, allow recreational use, and let someone use it for an "aliment" like they would anything else, with the same chance they had before; maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, who cares :stoned:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #16002729 - 03/27/12 09:32 AM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Precisely! If people want to self medicate, then let them self medicate. Maybe it helps, and if it does any damage, well, even the smartest people are dumb enough to damage their bodies/health, so what gives really?

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

#16002743 - 03/27/12 09:36 AM (12 years, 4 days ago)

If a placebo can be effective, fuck you know my weed can be too :evil2:

--------------------

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

#16003673 - 03/27/12 01:18 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

koraks many people like myself who use cannabis habitually for recreational purposes also make extensive use of the medicinal qualities of cannabis.

I've had a flagrantly and chronically upset stomach/nausea issues since I've been a kid.  With cannabis I'm able to eat regularly and even put a little bit of fat on top of my muscle.  Without it I'd be struggling heavily to even be a healthy weight, let alone fit, muscular and sporting a bit of winter fat.

Cannabis also makes me feel better about life and living, about being alive and living day to day while at the same time not being a significant or even sufficiently noteworthy detriment to my life.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Marijuana Dispensary Workers Taken in by Powerful Labor Union UFCW [Re: Humility]
    #16003767 - 03/27/12 01:45 PM (12 years, 4 days ago)

Did you read my other posts in this thread, apart from the first one? I address the issue of medical vs. recreational use in them. I could reply to your post, but in fact, I have already done so before you posted :wink:

OfflineLeon Ferrum
environmentalist know-it-all
Male User Gallery

#16005430 - 03/27/12 07:58 PM (12 years, 3 days ago)

I thought a lot of dispensary workers were volunteers.  If a union is willing to accept people with absolutely no skill whatsoever, then it must be a pretty weak union.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale