Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
burning playstation games
    #1599579 - 06/01/03 11:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Does anyone know how to burn copies of playstation games? DVD-R perhaps?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: burning playstation games [Re: iglou]
    #1599626 - 06/01/03 11:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

correction: a copy, singular. I wouldnt want to infringe copyright laws and break protocol. Sony wouldnt like that.

#1599762 - 06/01/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

wait - found the answer...

So you've left your Playstation games lying around again and one got scratched beyond repair. Now you're out $60 and you have to buy the game again if you want to play it again! Don't you wish there was a way to backup the games so you didn't get into this situation? Well there is...if you have a CD-Burner and a MOD-Chip in your Playstation.

OK, before we get to the software itself, let's make sure you have the right components. For the most part, any decent CD-Burner will do. Check around on epinions to figure out which one you need. Next, you need something that will allow your Playstation to read regular CDR disks. As you have probably noticed, Playstation disks have a dark purple bottom and Playstation consoles do not read the traditional blue, gold, or silver bottomed disks. Your two options are a mod-chip (which requires that you open up your PSX console and solder it on) or a game-shark (which only works with PSX consoles that have a Parallel Port in the back).

***Keep in mind that mod-chips require opening the console and soldering on a chip. Doing so automatically cancels the warranty on your console so do so AT YOUR OWN RISK! This is a delicate process and if done by someone who is not experienced with a soldering iron it can destroy your console.***

Once you have a burner and a console that will play backup disks, burning copies is simple. Simply purchase a copy of Ahead's NERO and use the settings that follow. Why NERO? Sony was pretty tricky when they made their games disks. They automatically built in error tracks into each disk. Traditional CD software like Adaptec's Easy CD Creator are unable to handle the error tracks and report a failed copy each time you try to copy a PSX game. What you get out of this is a new, shiny coaster. NERO, on the other hand, has a setting that allows you to ignore these error tracks and makes an EXACT duplicate of your PSX game. This results in a perfect backup of you game.

To backup your game, proceed as follows:

1. Start Nero.
2. Insert the Playstation CD in your recorder.
3. Choose the menu command File->CD Copy.
4. Select the page Copy Options and uncheck the on the fly option.
5. Select your CD recorder as input device and choose (for safety considerations) 1x as read speed.
6. Open the page Read Options and select (if these options are available for your recorder):
"Read media catalog number and ISRC", "Continue copying", "Data Mode 1": "Force Raw reading" "Write uncorrected", "Data Mode 2": 'Force Raw reading" "Write uncorrected", "Read audio with subchannel", "Ignore read errors" and uncheck "Jitter correction".
7. Open the Image page and choose a harddisk drive with at least 700MB of free disk space.
8. Select the page Burn and choose (for safety considerations) 1x as write speed.
9. Click the Burn button

I have used Nero for a couple of years now and find the software very easy to use. Users have the option of letting wizards walk you through the process or to select options from the drop-down menus. Either way, you'll be burning cds and making fewer coasters in no time.

If you are interested in backing up your games, I would definitely look at NERO as your software solution. It's cheap and easy to use and will result in fewer misburns.

The Good Doctor

#1602481 - 06/02/03 09:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Are you talking about ps1 or ps2?

I always just used easy cd creator for ps1 games and a mod of some kind. Haven't tried ps2........yet.

Loc: Southern England
    #1604627 - 06/03/03 02:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If you don't want to use a modded PS1 then download EPSXe - this freeware PS1 emulator is the business!
Plays any game I throw at it and runs at a much higher res then you get on a TV :smile: 

You don't succeed because you hesitate, you think we're flying but we levitate...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology