Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
Neon Yellow Contam?
    #1598953 - 06/01/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I had some Cracked Corn jars, innoculated with a mycellium syringe, made from a pink oyster wedge.

They'd been innoculating for about 5 days... lots of growth.. 2 days ago when I checked they were fine, I shook them to break up the CC. Now I see some BRIGHT yellow spots. They vary from covering one kernal, to patches the size of a nickle. They're all almost highlighter/neon yellow.

I researched a bit on here... and from what I can tell, it's Pseudomonas fluorescens.
Thought I can't be entirely sure, because I don't have a blacklight to test the flouresence of the culture.

Now again, I researched what this was... I found this..

Quote:

Pseudomonas fluorescens : A bacterium that can be used to control damping off diseases caused by fungi in the genus Pythium and other genera, as well as diseases caused by phytopathogenic Pseudomonas species, such as P. tolassii. P. fluorescens is used on cotton to control Pythium and Rhizoctonia. Specific strains are also used for reduction of frost and frost damage on tree fruits such as cherries, apples, pears and peaches, as well as almonds, tomatoes, potatoes and soft fruit such as strawberries. They are also used to control fire blight on apples and pears.

Also... that being said, I know there's a few other explanations for the possibility of the yellow mycellium.. excessive moisture in the jars being one. That's totally possible, since this is the first time I've ever used cracked corn as a medium for growth.

The only reason I think it's not that, is because of it being soooo bright fucking yellow

Also, I innoculated a mycobag, with a mycellium syringe, and it appears to be showing yellow too.. too early to be sure... the only thing was, the syringes they were innoculated were made from different karo jars.. and neither of the jars is showing any kind of contaminant.

What should I do?
I was very sterile in the whole process, I don't know what i could be.

-ol

Edited by Oscuro_lobo (06/01/03 06:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Neon Yellow Contam? [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #1599134 - 06/01/03 06:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi ol  :smile:

I had that same bright neon yellow contamination on my first try of peroxidated PDYA that I screwed up a while back (thermometer was knackered) but luckily it only got a couple of petris and I managed to save the culture. I still haven't got around to throwing away the bad petris but unfortunately I dont have a black light either to see whether it does glow !

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: Neon Yellow Contam? [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #1599303 - 06/01/03 07:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

glad to hear they  were doing well for you on CC!

Sorry about your contam misfortune.  :frown:

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
Re: Neon Yellow Contam? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #1601385 - 06/02/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

So do you think it has something to do with the agar used to make the myc. syringe? I'm really baffled as to what this is, I'll try and get some pictures.

Also, I was doing some whole popcorn kernal jars, using the same mycellium solution and they don't have the bright yellow to them, but some of the popcorn kernals have since turned black?

What's this? It's not spreading and contained only on single kernals, doesn't rub off or expand.

Anyone?

-ol

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag