Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDoogle
I went for a walk in the woods today...
    #1597768 - 06/01/03 05:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there, I went hunting today for the fourth time in the Scotts Creek reserve about a half an hours drive from Adelaide, Australia. Came accross about 19 'Gold Tops' of various sizes or what we think they are at least. Here are some pictures from todays expedition. I couldnt take many photos (sorry about the quality).. Here are a few, I will post the rest later. Any help in confirming what these are would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :smile:

Not sure what these are.

These, I believe are the Gold Tops 'Psylocybe Cubenis' (?). Although, this is a photo of the ones we picked with the smallest heads. The others have heads perhaps another 2 or 3 cm larger and have spaghetti like stems that are less bright.... i think they are the same thing. Also, some have a a web like cone going up to the gills. Is this the indication of another species, or perhaps a process in age? They ALL have grey/brown gills. (edit: I should also mention that the caps on the others are paler in colour and are flatter --- but still maintain a 'nobbled' top sort of appearence ala the once above --- than the ones above and all bruise blue)

I'm not sure what these are, but there are tons of them where we went. So any help identifying them would be great :smile:

Sorry about the lack of pictures, hope the 2nd is still possible to identify. :smile:

Edited by Doogle (06/01/03 09:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: I went for a walk in the woods today... [Re: Doogle]
    #1597812 - 06/01/03 07:16 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Did you pick any of them?

We need to know about spore print colors. Also, for identification purposes, the underside of the cap is very important for us to see.

Please post a description (see the sticky thread if you don't know what goes into one) of the things we can't see in your photos.

BTW, the first ones look, as a wild guess, like Coprinus of some sort. Are the second ones growing out of dung? I don't think they're cubensis. And, if I had to guess, I'd go with Cortinarius for the third one. Spore print colors would go a long way toward at least getting the genera correct.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineDoogle
Re: I went for a walk in the woods today... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1597836 - 06/01/03 07:50 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, picked only the gold tops -- just wanted to know if you might have an idea if they are ok aswell...

Do the 2nd ones look ok? We picked them because we were told by two old trippers at uni that thats what we should be looking for. Potentially containing Psylocybe you think?? They wernt found out of dung. Hmm. The spore prints are purpleish. Underside of the caps is murky grey.

Edited by Doogle (06/01/03 07:55 AM)

OfflineDoogle
    #1597849 - 06/01/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Also, if its any help, they were all growing in the ground, and in a woodlands like environment. It has been about overcast and 18C for the last few days and raining sporadically. :smile:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1597861 - 06/01/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Those aren't Psilocybe cubensis ... :frown:

Psilocybe cubensis "Gold Tops" will only be growing from dung, and I dont see any dung around in that picture. Secondly those stems are too brown, cubensis have white stems. Thirdly, there is no veil. The caps themselves are the only thing that resembles a cubensis.

The second mushroom...Did you pick it? Did it bruise blue/green? That mushroom, by physical appearance only looks like your best bet for a Psilocybe mushroom...Possibly a P. subaeruginosa...they also have gold tops. But if the mushroom did not bruise, Id toss it.

Edited by angryshroom (06/01/03 08:11 AM)

OfflineDoogle
Re: I went for a walk in the woods today... [Re: angryshroom]
    #1597867 - 06/01/03 08:17 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It bruised blue. The 2nd one are the only ones we picked. Sorry for the dis-organised post. :smile:

OfflineDoogle
    #1597965 - 06/01/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

.... I should also mention, I took one of the ones mentioned similar to the 2nd photo (whith the spaghetti stem) *stupidly* dried -prob 0.5g (a while back) on advice of ppl at uni (who dont really know as much as i'd like to know) and am not dead yet :wink: -- wish i knew about this site earlier!!. Experienced the mild stoning effect mentioned here on shroomery.org. I think they look like the aucklandii but a more pale yellow. I doubt the aucklandii are found in South Australia though.

Trying to give as much info as i possibly can. Really sorry about the lack of pics.

OfflineDoogle
    #1598084 - 06/01/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineDoogle
    #1598118 - 06/01/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

... actually, I dont need to stress about getting images. These are them, no doubt!
Swell!

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/images/archive/psilocybe_azurescens_sw_6-5.jpg

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/images/archive/psilocybe_azurescens_sw_6-7.jpg

Sweet! :laugh:

OK, I'll stop posting to myself now :smile:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1598150 - 06/01/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

THere are no Psilocybe azurescens in Austrlaia. They only are known from Hammon and Astopria Oregon and along the coastal region of the Oregon Coast.

mj

OfflineDoogle
Re: I went for a walk in the woods today... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1598158 - 06/01/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Well what the hell are they? They look to be identical in every way. Same colour spore prints.... Is there anything similar found in Australia? I will try and get pics for you lot to see for yourselves.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1598178 - 06/01/03 12:33 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

All Psilocybes have the same color spore print(well, in general). A lot of woodloving Psilocybes look very similar when they're young. They're definately not azures. They are most likely Psilocybe subaeruginosa... everyone seems to be finding them in Australia about this time of year.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1598186 - 06/01/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

...Also, some have a a web like cone going up to the gills...

... They look to be identical in every way...

if they have a viel then they're not identical.
they almost look like they could be P. subs. if anybody who is familiar with those could correct me i'd apreciate it.

altogether i'm not sure.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineDoogle
Re: I went for a walk in the woods today... [Re: canid]
    #1598203 - 06/01/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Only a few have a viel, and they look closer to the subs rather than the others!
Frustraiting!

Ive been looking at pictures of the subs and generally they are way to dark I think.

I hate being a newb. :smile:

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #1598551 - 06/01/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Be more specific, take a picture of the gills underneath the mushroom and make a spore print, take a picture of the print. Take a lot more pictures and post them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck