Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

Loc: French Polynesia Flag
Bulk Grow Log
    #15974837 - 03/21/12 01:56 AM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Background
So I am about a week into this project. My old project of several WBS bags succumbed to green mold due to me just being an idiot. I was in a new place and not being as sterile i should have.

I grabbed a few cc's of Texas LC from a friend and noc'ed up 2 jars that had just a little WBS to check for contam. At the same time i put the rest of the LC into a new Karo LC. 4% Karo by volume. That began on 2/26 and after about 10 days was very thick. I put broken glass into the bottom as I don't have a magnetic stirrer yet. It has worked totally fine though.

LC

test jar for the LC

random supplies and the grow space

What I have/will have in this project:
-4 full quart jars with texas
-a jar with a little bit of Golden teacher myc growing (I am trying to make something happen from a tiny amount of spores and it is going well so far).
-11 WBS bags with ~4qts in each (Texas strain)
-5 spongi blocks with about 4qts total substrate (Texas)

Method
I will begin with my spongi pf blocks. I varied in my ratios a little bit, But essentially it was 2 parts verm, 1 part water, 1 part flour. for one bag i used 1.5 parts flour and added a little more water so it wasn't too dry. for my flour I used a blend of 50% rice bran, 25% brf, and 25% 10 grain mix (all bobs red mill brand). I put them in the bags, wiped the inside, folded it up, sealed it and PC'ed for a little over 2 hours. I made sure to let it cool for a good few hours and then hung them up overnight. inoculated with 10ml LC each.

Again just to reiterate the ratio was 2:1:1-1.5      Verm:Water:mixed flour. PC for 2 hours and BAM.. big pf block.

For the WBS i measured out my grain and put it into a 5 gallon bucket. I cut the center part of the top off and used some window screen as a filter. I had to rinse it about 10 times before a soak to get the water close to being clear, but it seemed impossible to get it totally clear so I gave up. I then let it soak for ~24 hours. I don't simmer or anything, mainly because with a large amount of seed it is a bitch and I don't know if there is a huge advantage for me to go through that effort.

I rinsed the seed after a soak around 10 to 15 times and get as close to clear as I can, but I usually give up before it is 100% clear. I make sure to get pretty close though. I then flip the bucket in the bathtub and let it drain for about 3 hours. I load up the bags and again wipe down the inside of the flaps. I fold them over and get out as much air as I can and PC for 3 hours. They hang overnight. inoculated with 10ml LC each.

Colonizing on shelf in the closet

To inoculate I pretty much oust the shit out of my closet, wear gloves, mask, clean clothes, flame sterilze needle and inject. I wipe my hands and arms down with alcohol as well as the outside of the gloves. I dont wipe the syringe with alcohol after flaming it, i just squirt a little bit out. I have yet to see any signs of contamination in this project. Sterile procedure is key. I blew about $20 worth of supplies (i know its not a lot but whatever) and a bunch of time by being careless last time. dont make my mistake. once you get a good sterile procedure you are good to go.

3/21
The 5 bags i have colonizing right now began on 3/15 and are probably about 30% done. i will get pictures up in the next couple days. I am making 6 more WBS bags. the seed is soaking as we speak

colonizing bags

I noc'ed up 3 spongi blocks today and will probably be making the other 2 on thursday night.

3 spongi blocks next to some assorted jars

one of the jars

3/22
shook the bags today. took some pictures of myc in one of the bags to show how much it has colonized. I also shook all of my other jars. hopefully it wont be long now until they are all done

pictures of one of the bags

prepared 6 bags with 4qts of wbs in them last night. I am going to to inoculate them later today.

3/24
Almost 48 hours since the shake. here are pictures of how the bags are doing as well as some assorted jars. all the jars were made with various amounts of LC, since i wanted to find the optimal amount. I have found that using roughly 3ml is perfect for me. in the future for any jars I do i will just use a 10ml syringe on 3 jars. in one of the pictured jars i used 1ml and the other had 3 in it. the 1ml jar was started 6 days before and they are at the same stage in colonization.

picture time:

1ml jar

3ml jar

bags after shaking

3/26
another boring update but whatever. gotta bump this thread til things pick up

bags are progressing well

spongi blocks starting to show growth as well, seemed to have a slow start but they are all showing a lot of growth in many spots (sorry this picture kinda sucks, just tried to get the biggest patch of myc)

hopefully the first 5 bags will be done as well as the jars in a few days. then i can prepare my first 4 tubs.

3/30
so last night i assembled my tubs. i basically just wrapped the bottom portion in duct tape and drilled 1-3/4" holes. 2 on each side right above 4" from the bottom of the tub, and 1 on each short side higher up.

I also made this nifty little tub which i will throw in a sgfc. i had a jar with a smaller amount in it and figured it would be fun.

in the process i spilled like half a jar which sucked. i also broke a cheap plastic spoon while trying to stir around the coir haha. kinda made a mess throughout the whole process.

so a couple problems arose in my grow so far. 1) i am pretty sure one of my spongi blocks has a contam. saw this greyish shit pop up. i dont know if it is myc coming though from the middle because sometimes that looks a little odd until it grows out, but i am like 95% sure it is contam. i isolated it and we will see. the rest looks good which leads me to believe i sealed the bag poorly or something happened during inoculation on that one specific bag.
2)not all of my jars have colonized in time since i will be away for the weekend but needed spawn before then. sooo my spawn ratio on 3 of the 4 tubs i made today will be a little lower. on top of that i had 5 spawn bags, the coir was pasteurized in a bucket and i had to make the tubs as i went along due to time constraints and couldn't evenly distrubute the last bag among the other ones at the same time. soooo i cut open the bag, dumped a fourth, hour later after more coir cooled to near room temp, dumped a fourth, etc. til i was done. i am worried this could be problematic but i resealed it with a shit ton of duct tape between each time.

overall i am terrified of contamination. i made one monotub over the summer, my first one, and it succumbed to trich, but made a few successful ones after that. i worry that somehow i have fucked this up but time will tell. when i get back i will post updates of colonization and hopefully get them to fruiting soon. please pray for me that i won't see anything other than fluffy white goodness in these tubs!

4/9
awwwyeaaaa. tubs look pretty damn colonized. I havent been around for 10 days and came home to this. was wondering if you guys think it is time for fruiting. since i havent been here to see how fast they colonized i am not sure how long i should allow for consolidation. I am seeing some hyphal knots, i would like to wait for some pins but would love some outside opinions. i am thinking tomorrow or the day after i will put some polyfill in the holes and turn the lights on.

update 4/20:bigblunt:

ok so i ended up letting them consolidate about 8 days past my last post on some advice i had received. so that makes this day 3 of fruiting. i waited to have some pins before i introduced to fruiting although i must admit i jumped at the smallest pins i could find and threw all the tubs into fruiting. in retrospect i should have let them develop more. but here is some semi-ok amateur pr0n for you guys.

These are the 3 bins which have pins.

one is still putzing around so i didnt post pictures of it. they all have a bunch of knots and everyday i am seeing more of them turning into mushrooms. these ones came early but i see some nice clusters of pins shaping up. i tried to take pictures but my phone proved pretty problematic with the focus so i said fuck it.

PINS! (the few that there are :sad:)
(cool mutant one)

there are more pins but you get the picture. most tubs have about 10 pins in them right now but a lot more forming as we speak. ill check tomorrow and let you guys know.

for my next group of bins i am doing much larger spawn ratios and in the future all grows will try to have a 1:1 ratio and dont fruit til some relatively large pins and a good number of them.

ill keep you posted

praying for some good yields  :devito:

Edited by Daft Punk (04/20/12 07:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

Re: Bulk Grow Log [Re: Daft Punk]
    #15976210 - 03/21/12 12:17 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

updated with some pictures

OfflineSoreSpore

Loc: Halfway there...
    #15976248 - 03/21/12 12:23 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Awesome. What are we spawning these bags too? Monos :eek:

InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

Re: Bulk Grow Log [Re: SoreSpore]
    #15976260 - 03/21/12 12:26 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

yeah. gonna be putting 5 qts (mixing the bags with an extra jar each) in a tub with a brick of coir and 2 qts verm. im gonna have 11 monotubs in total, plus the 5 blocks.

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15976358 - 03/21/12 12:49 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Lookin' good.

If your bags are 30% or more, you should kneed them to distribute the colonized grains.
That jar looks like it's ready for a good shaking, too.

As for the GT's, check out Agar's Grain Liquid Culture tek.
You can use that, then inoculate an LC or shoot up a bunch of jars w/ it.

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

OfflineSoreSpore

Loc: Halfway there...
Re: Bulk Grow Log [Re: TranscendingLife]
    #15976479 - 03/21/12 01:24 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

I never shake a bag unless it stalls. It is so much grain to be getting risky with. Qt masons are a different story

Excited to see the monos, I'll be watching :burnone:

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk Grow Log [Re: SoreSpore]
    #15976494 - 03/21/12 01:29 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

I never said "shake" the bag. You knead bags.
There's no more risk in kneading a bag then there is shaking a grain jar.
Actually, there's less, because you know the grains won't touch the filter.
It cuts down on colonization time & most contams appear after the kneading of bags or banging of jars.

--------------------
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15976621 - 03/21/12 02:07 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Lookin good! :popcorn:

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinequixjest
Stranger
Re: Bulk Grow Log [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #15977052 - 03/21/12 03:35 PM (12 years, 10 days ago)

Looks good, can't wait to see how it turns out !

InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

#15978226 - 03/21/12 08:32 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

TranscendingLife said:
If your bags are 30% or more, you should kneed them to distribute the colonized grains.
That jar looks like it's ready for a good shaking, too.

I shook the jar today and am planning on kneading the bags tomorrow. I always hate shaking because the time to recover makes me feel like things are slowing down,,, but i know it is worth it.

Overall I am very satisfied with progress so far. I am currently PC'ing the remaining 6 WBS bags. The ones that have already been inoculated are moving along at a good pace. hopefully another week and they will be totally done and I can get the tubs going.

Thanks for everybody's support and I will get some new pictures up tomorrow before the kneading of the bags because we all love pictures. :mjdance:

OfflineCollin Jenkins
Stranger
    #15978734 - 03/21/12 10:18 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Looks solid

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15978834 - 03/21/12 10:43 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Daft Punk said:
I always hate shaking because the time to recover makes me feel like things are slowing down,,, but i know it is worth it.

You're actually speeding things up by shaking/kneading.
I've heard of lots of noobs being like ":wtf: is going on!? I shook my jar & no the mycelium is gone!?"
No, it's not gone.
It's still on the grains.
Just like these 100% jars just before spawning (rye & WBS):

--------------------

InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

#15979130 - 03/22/12 12:01 AM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

TranscendingLife said:
You're actually speeding things up by shaking/kneading.

Yeah, its funny how it disappears like that. I hate destroying that fluffy white goodness haha. but it always comes back and shaking is the way to go.
By the way man I have been a huge fan of your work. a lot of your posts have helped me in the past and continue to help me.

A quick question though, how big of an impact is my spawn ratio going to have on my colonization times and yield? I have read a lot, but don't have a lot of personal experience concerning spawn ratios. Right now I am planning on roughly 4 quarts grain to 11 quarts coir and verm. this is a little over 1:3. Would reducing my number of tubs and going up to about 1:2 make a sizable difference in yield and shorten my colonization times considerably?

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15980394 - 03/22/12 09:23 AM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Yields are mostly dependent on genetics.
1:2 would cut down your colonization time by a few days for sure.

--------------------

OfflineNevin
Deceiver
Male

#15980423 - 03/22/12 09:29 AM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

TranscendingLife said:
Yields are mostly dependent on genetics.
1:2 would cut down your colonization time by a few days for sure.

Yeah if your in a hurry, I also recommend this because 1:2 ratios IME take about 10 days to colonize fully then 1 week of consolidation. Then to fruiting!

--------------------
"A lesson without pain is meaningless, for you cannot gain something without sacrificing something else in return"

InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

Re: Bulk Grow Log [Re: Nevin]
    #15982238 - 03/22/12 04:34 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

updated 3/22

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15983676 - 03/22/12 09:41 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Those are pictures pre-kneading, correct?
Make sure to work the colonized grains thoroughly throughout the bags/jars.

--------------------

InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

#15984169 - 03/23/12 12:06 AM (12 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

TranscendingLife said:
Those are pictures pre-kneading, correct?

yessir. i made sure i spread the colonized grain as evenly as possible to minimize colonization time. i just wanted to illustrate how far along the bag was when i shook it. hopefully it won't be more than a week.

as a side note i inoculated the other 6 bags. i have decided to do 5 quarts wbs for every tub. This will give me a ratio of 1:2.2 which is close enough to 1:2 for me. This will make 8 monotubs instead of 11 but the quicker colonization time is worth it.

InvisibleDaft Punk
People Are Strange

#15990451 - 03/24/12 03:35 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

updated 3/24

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
    #15990524 - 03/24/12 03:55 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

11 monos, huh?
:raveface:

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures