Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | Next > | Last >
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: johnm214]
    #18505075 - 07/03/13 12:30 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

and what exactly is a cautionary diagnosis?  I've never heard that term used- ever.

The PA testified that she thought his nose was broken or that it was quite possible (forget which) but that they didn't do cranial xrays at her office so he was referred to an ENT.  Are you suggesting that before xrays were a part of medicine that nobody got diagnosed with a broken bone because "further tests were needed"?

No, I am suggesting that after X-rays were invented, they could be used to draw conclusions that the eye could not determine without them in some cases. In other words, if his nose was nearly broken but it was not that bad... and not bad enough for Zimmerman to get a check up after getting the diagnosis he probably wanted to get in the first place, in order to prove self defense, he'd stick with the cautionary diagnosis (1st do no harm. Err on the side of caution). I wonder if they suggested he have a check up, or more tests... seems they needed them to prove his nose was broken difinitively, on the witness stand.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: psilynut] * 1
    #18505152 - 07/03/13 01:01 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Why not? It is John. He is always down for a debate.

No I'm not, you can't prove it, and this is completely unfounded.

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Quote:

and what exactly is a cautionary diagnosis?  I've never heard that term used- ever.

The PA testified that she thought his nose was broken or that it was quite possible (forget which) but that they didn't do cranial xrays at her office so he was referred to an ENT.  Are you suggesting that before xrays were a part of medicine that nobody got diagnosed with a broken bone because "further tests were needed"?

No, I am suggesting that after X-rays were invented, they could be used to draw conclusions that the eye could not determine without them in some cases. In other words, if his nose was nearly broken but it was not that bad... and not bad enough for Zimmerman to get a check up after getting the diagnosis he probably wanted to get in the first place, in order to prove self defense, he'd stick with the cautionary diagnosis (1st do no harm. Err on the side of caution). I wonder if they suggested he have a check up, or more tests... seems they needed them to prove his nose was broken difinitively, on the witness stand.

The PA suggested, and this comports with my knowledge of this subject, that any treatment of the nose would be beyond her capabilities anyways, so a referral to an ENT was appropriate for an assesment.

As for cautionary diagnosis, I think you mean a rule out diagnosis, though I don't remember percisely what the PA said about the nose, it was something to that effect.

Quote:

psilynut said:
Quote:

Are you aware that the doctor who treated him the next morning diagnosed a "closed fracture" of his nose?

Ok so that explains one punch . What about the other 25 to 30 ? So there's an X-ray of his broken nose right?

I don't believe so.  I believe Zimmerman never went to the ENT.

As for the estimated number of punches, who knows.  I tend to think that's a gross exageration too, but maybe the number of punches thrown could approach that- though I doubt any fraction of those connected based on his head. 

Either way, I just assume zimmerman's estimate is wrong.

Quote:

Quote:

And what basis do you have to say any of these things?  Why would he need stitches if his head had been slammed onto the concrete?  Stitches are only useful for a limited class of injuries, and the PA explained exactly why she didn't stitch the wound: it wasn't neccessary.

What do you base your claim that he didn't need to go to the ER on, and what does it matter?

You don't need to suffer any injury at all to use deadly force- this whole argument is just horseshit.

I've seen allot of fights , and I've seen people get heir heads slammed on concrete 2 times , in both instances it was lights out for that person immediately . Game over  . He just doesn't look like he got the beating he is describing , that's all . Barley an argument really , why so defensive?

Did these people getting their heads slammed resist and have an opportunity to brace themselves?  From zimmerman's story, martin grabbed his head and was slamming it down.  His kneck could prevent much of the acceleration Martin would otherwise have imparted- much different than someone falling and cracking their head or something like that.

I'm defensive because I think a lot of people have rushed to judgement against zimmerman, and I'm particularly disgusted that its the same crowd that normally supports civil rights now completely abandoning their principles, such as they were, and arguing to convict a man where no decent evidence of his guilt exists.  Its just a lynch mob mentality in some quarters, and its disheartening to see some (not you) adopt this stance on the shroomery of all places.

OfflineTalesfromtheTrypt
The Tryptkeeper

Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: johnm214]
    #18505204 - 07/03/13 01:22 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I obviously don't speak for anybody here, but I think a lot of people don't view this in terms of civil rights, as much as a disagreement over the scope of self defense laws. Remember, this didn't become a big deal until it went national, this kind of shit is normal in the south, but up north you're more likely to find people who are simply amazed that anyone could even be legally shot to death in a fistfight.

--------------------

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: TalesfromtheTrypt]
    #18505331 - 07/03/13 02:27 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Well said. And you have a solid point.

But this happened in Florida. They have laws. Those laws should decide this case.

But yeah, THAT is why much of the country is saying, "WTF?".

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: Rose]
    #18505351 - 07/03/13 02:35 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Why not? It is John. He is always down for a debate.

I have seen him argue with himself when bored.

And he always loses.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: Icelander]
    #18505425 - 07/03/13 03:10 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

PM me Ice. We should chat again.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: rodfarva]
    #18505571 - 07/03/13 04:41 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

rodfarva said:

Disagree, there is precedent in florida that a fist fight escalating into zimmerman getting his head slammed on the ground and verbal threats of "im gona kill you" could rebuke the initial aggressor issue.

In this case a fist fight started, then theoretically martin used the ground or cement as a deadly weapon making it ok for zimmerman to shoot. Im sure the defense will bring up the fact that Z didnt start it and Martin used a deadly weapon first.

You're talking about sudden escalation issue, which I've been intentionally ignoring because it doesn't apply in this case.  There's no evidence to support the notion that this was a sudden escalation situation. No one has offered evidence that Zimmerman was the initial aggressor, so escalation doesn't matter.  Also, there's no evidence that there was a "fist fight" at all.  Martin had no injuries consistent with being hit, and Zimmerman says he never hit Martin.

I agree that even if Zimmerman started it, there is a possible self-defense available under the escalation doctrine, but I don't see it really applying in this case since we haven't seen any evidence that Zimmerman was initial aggressor.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18505578 - 07/03/13 04:45 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TalesfromtheTrypt said:
I obviously don't speak for anybody here, but I think a lot of people don't view this in terms of civil rights, as much as a disagreement over the scope of self defense laws. Remember, this didn't become a big deal until it went national, this kind of shit is normal in the south, but up north you're more likely to find people who are simply amazed that anyone could even be legally shot to death in a fistfight.

People can be amazed all they want, but under the facts of this case, it would be self-defense in every state in this country and many other countries as well.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: Enlil]
    #18505662 - 07/03/13 05:31 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

rodfarva said:

Disagree, there is precedent in florida that a fist fight escalating into zimmerman getting his head slammed on the ground and verbal threats of "im gona kill you" could rebuke the initial aggressor issue.

In this case a fist fight started, then theoretically martin used the ground or cement as a deadly weapon making it ok for zimmerman to shoot. Im sure the defense will bring up the fact that Z didnt start it and Martin used a deadly weapon first.

You're talking about sudden escalation issue, which I've been intentionally ignoring because it doesn't apply in this case.  There's no evidence to support the notion that this was a sudden escalation situation. No one has offered evidence that Zimmerman was the initial aggressor, so escalation doesn't matter.  Also, there's no evidence that there was a "fist fight" at all.  Martin had no injuries consistent with being hit, and Zimmerman says he never hit Martin.

I agree that even if Zimmerman started it, there is a possible self-defense available under the escalation doctrine, but I don't see it really applying in this case since we haven't seen any evidence that Zimmerman was initial aggressor.

The PC affidavit, supported almost solely from the hungry hungry hippo, basically paints zimmerman as the initial aggressor, and is the basis for his murder charges. Not that anything she said will be taken with any degree of trust. Basically the prosecution hasn't disproved anything Zim already admits to. Defense will start their case in chief with a directed verdict motion, and when that fails they will begin their self defense testimony. Then the state will try to say the words "17 year old" and "initial aggressor" as many times as possible.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: rodfarva]
    #18505695 - 07/03/13 05:47 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

All of that is true, and you're absolutely right about the escalation issue...As I said earlier, I've been ignoring/avoiding it in these threads for two reasons:

1. I don't think it's going to come into play in this case, and more importantly,
2. I didn't really want to add an additional layer of complication to the discussion.

Truthfully, I think that Zimmerman has three colorable self-defense arguments that are provable:

1. Martin was the initial aggressor and, without justification, created a reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily harm to Zimmerman, thus justifying Zimmerman's use of deadly force.

2. If Zimmerman was the initial aggressor, he abandoned that action when he ceased following Martin to return to his vehicle.  After that, Martin created a reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily harm to Zimmerman, thus justifying Zimmerman's use of deadly force.

3. If Zimmerman was the initial aggressor and engaged in mutual combat, that mutual combat was decidedly non-lethal.  Martin suddenly escalated the altercation to a potentially lethal situation when he reached for Zimmerman's gun, thus justifying Zimmerman's use of deadly force.

So far, 2 and 3 seem completely unnecessary in this case because the state hasn't proven anything except that it went down as Zimmerman claims it did.  For purposes of this thread, I was trying not to muddy up the water any more than it's already been muddied.

P.S.  I mean absolutely no offense when I say that your issue spotting/separation skills have dramatically improved.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #18505738 - 07/03/13 06:08 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:

P.S.  I mean absolutely no offense when I say that your issue spotting/separation skills have dramatically improved.

farva i haven't seen enlil compliment any other debaters in here - you must be doing' somethin right!

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: trayvon martin shooting/Moors and [America|Europe] [Re: memes]
    #18506024 - 07/03/13 08:23 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I think this teacher is the final blow to the prosecution's case.  Zimmerman had a black teacher, so he has to be innocent.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18506137 - 07/03/13 09:12 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Lol...this Skype testimony is a clusterfuck.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinegabound
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: trayvon martin shooting [Re: Enlil]
    #18506676 - 07/03/13 11:51 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Better too be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
    #18506980 - 07/03/13 01:29 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Lol...this Skype testimony is a clusterfuck.

Saw a video of that on drudge today during my lunch break.  me and my office mate got a big kick out of it :smile:

OfflineTalesfromtheTrypt
The Tryptkeeper

#18506992 - 07/03/13 01:32 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

TalesfromtheTrypt said:

People can be amazed all they want, but under the facts of this case, it would be self-defense in every state in this country and many other countries as well.

I don't think you understand the context of my post. It's obviously not illegal to kill someone in the US during a fistfight because the laws allow it, but like I said, many people who are against Zimmerman are probably in disagreement with those laws. I couldn't care less regarding this particular case, I don't presume to know the facts and people are dying in worse ways while I type this sentence. However, I do empathize with those who are interested in this case due to the nature of self defense laws in the US.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18507005 - 07/03/13 01:36 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

The basic reasoning is that you shouldn't have to wait until you're almost dead before you can use deadly force to defend yourself.  Do you disagree with this proposition?

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineTalesfromtheTrypt
The Tryptkeeper

#18507129 - 07/03/13 02:12 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Sure, and the basic reasoning is that drug laws were made to protect society, and yet our jails are full of pot smokers. You misleadingly imply that everyone who has legally killed someone under protection of these laws would have otherwise been "almost dead" (or obviously worse), when you and I both know that plenty of people have been legally killed who most certainly would not have left their respective gunmen "almost dead." Now if you're asking me if I think you should be allowed to instigate a fight, then shoot the guy dead when you're losing because now you're afraid he's going to inflict serious bodily harm on you, then you're damn right I don't. If someone needs to walk around with a firearm to protect themselves against unarmed people, they are pussies who are hiding behind archaic laws, in my opinion. Furthermore, if the only justification you need to kill somebody is to be in a fistfight with them, then that means every one of us (assuming we've all been in a fight before) could have been legally killed at some point in our lives, and that we are all only alive because we were all fortunate enough not to have had some asshole take it upon himself to "defend" himself by killing us. Does that sound fair to you?

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18507166 - 07/03/13 02:21 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Your post is largely rhetoric with no basis in reality or law, however.

You can't "legally" kill someone just because you're in a fistfight with them...and self-defense is unavailable if someone is the initial aggressor, except in limited circumstances.

Self-defense requires that a person have a reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm.  This means that if someone swings at you, you can grab their hand to stop it...or perhaps knock them out with a right cross...I assume you don't have a problem with that...

Now, if someone is hitting you in the head with a baseball bat, and you have a gun in your pocket, I assume you agree that you have the right to use that gun to protect yourself, right?

That's how self-defense works in the real world.  You can use force to stop an imminent threat of bodily harm...that force must be reasonable based on the threat.  If you want to use deadly force, the threat must be of death or serious bodily harm.  What do you see wrong with that system?

A lot of your post assumes some facts that aren't in this case at all, so I'm trying to pull it away from this case to get your general idea about self-defense.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #18507190 - 07/03/13 02:26 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TalesfromtheTrypt said:
Sure, and the basic reasoning is that drug laws were made to protect society, and yet our jails are full of pot smokers. You misleadingly imply that everyone who has legally killed someone under protection of these laws would have otherwise been "almost dead" (or obviously worse), when you and I both know that plenty of people have been legally killed who most certainly would not have left their respective gunmen "almost dead." Now if you're asking me if I think you should be allowed to instigate a fight, then shoot the guy dead when you're losing because now you're afraid he's going to inflict serious bodily harm on you, then you're damn right I don't. If someone needs to walk around with a firearm to protect themselves against unarmed people, they are pussies who are hiding behind archaic laws, in my opinion. Furthermore, if the only justification you need to kill somebody is to be in a fistfight with them, then that means every one of us (assuming we've all been in a fight before) could have been legally killed at some point in our lives, and that we are all only alive because we were all fortunate enough not to have had some asshole take it upon himself to "defend" himself by killing us. Does that sound fair to you?

This is such heinous disgusting bullshit that I cannot believe I am reading it here.  First of all half of the population has pussies.  Second of all do you think that weak men do not have the right to protect themselves from punks?  That if they can't beat everybody up they are pussies?  Never forget, all tough guys, except one, can get their ass kicked by somebody.  Are you ready to make that thug king?  And yeah, fuck anybody that is such an asshole that he finds himself in fights.  Only douchbags or victims get in physical fights.  Everybody who throws a punch first is a piece of shit loser.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale