Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nuevo Mexico Flag
Coco husk, keep the chunks?
    #15908192 - 03/06/12 09:16 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Went to the petsmarts last night to only find bricks of coco HUSK. It has chunks of the coconut that look like wood chips. Should I just pick these out one by one after hydrating? Thinking about using a cheese grater to grate the brick while it's dry... Going to be spawning 5-6 half pints to 6 half pints straight coco husk in a 12" x 7 1/4" x 4 1/4" clear plastic bin. Good idea? Used the search and still have questions unanswered. Appreciate it.

--------------------
Improvements sha'll be made.

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedragonnreeferr
clusterheadache sufferer
Male

Loc: OhighO
Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: Content]
    #15908260 - 03/06/12 09:40 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

yeah petsmart by me only carries the fine cococoir in now brick form and its expensive  i go pet supply plus get 3 eco earth bricks for 6.99

InvisibleStropharis
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: dragonnreeferr]
    #15908290 - 03/06/12 09:49 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Mycelium will do some pretty amazing things, I'm betting it wont have any problems colonizing it and fruiting from it although I have never used husks myself. Ideally you should be using coir; a fibre extracted from the husk itself.

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: dragonnreeferr]
    #15908392 - 03/06/12 10:13 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Only place they had coir was PetCo. and we don't have one for MILES. Only thing I'm worried about is the top "extra" layer (substrate on top to keep contams out) not being leveled enough for an even pin set. Should I just blend the top layer and mix with some verm?

--------------------

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

InvisibleStropharis
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15908436 - 03/06/12 10:23 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

From the sound of it you are spawning to these husk as your bulk in a tray. There isn't any layer to keep contams out at that point, although some people do prefer putting some colonized spawn on the top surface to help ward off contams a bit during incubation, I personally have never noticed a difference. Either way, you just cover it till it is completely colonized and then apply a casing layer once complete. It is at that point that you can prepare your surface for the best condition to produce an even pinset. Also, don't use clear plastic unless you plan on wrapping the sides in tin foil or tape before introducing light for fruiting.

OfflineShamrocker
mst3k
 User Gallery

Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: Stropharis]
    #15908458 - 03/06/12 10:29 AM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I would hydrate the brick then break up the larger pieces. I imagine it would be a lot easier.

Good Luck!

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: Shamrocker]
    #15908801 - 03/06/12 12:07 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

Thank you.
I broke up the bigger chunks after hydrating the husk and "shredded" the husk and made many fibres, I am left with 5 half pints of hydrated, broken up husk, and one half pint of coco fibre. Plan to spawn 5 half pints after sterilisation process. Will not be pasteurizing because of the bigger chunks.

--------------------

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

OfflineDr.Tooty
Eye see you.
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere in particular. Flag
    #15908994 - 03/06/12 12:57 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

I accidentally bought husk for my first mono tubs.

I shredded it all with my blender and my ten dollar coffee grinder, It took forever because you can only grind a small amount at a time.
also, caused me to become very mucusy.

Worked great though.

--------------------
"I get up, I get down." Insect Forum

Offline2row
Fermenter

Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: Dr.Tooty]
    #15909237 - 03/06/12 02:06 PM (12 years, 25 days ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15847618

Folks claim either corse of fine will work. Ive only used fine, but I have a brick of course I accidentally bought I might try next tub.

--------------------
You've got to go thru the meat locker to get to the bliss fountain.

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: 2row]
    #15913431 - 03/07/12 11:00 AM (12 years, 24 days ago)

Well, already spawned last night. I'll make a thread of they trays progress in about 7 - 10 days. I left most of it coarse and shredded a thin layer into fibres on the top. The substrate depth only came out to 2 1/2 inches.

--------------------

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
    #15970836 - 03/20/12 08:21 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

How did it go? I could only find coco husk at my local pet store, too. I guess I'm gonna add some fine verm and gypsum to it before mixing it with the spawn.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: Coco husk, keep the chunks? [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #15970849 - 03/20/12 08:31 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Apparently The shroomy 1 (TC) has used it successfully

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Coco Husk will do the job, and in some cases do it better than coir.  Just take the time to break it up after you hydrate it and you'll do just fine!

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Do These TEXANS  grown on Husk look like they suffered? 

I would still be interested in the update of your grow. Now excuse me, I gotta do a few G2Gs. :mushroom2:

--------------------

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

#15971067 - 03/20/12 09:49 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Everything's looking good so far. I opened the tray at about day 10, because I thought the tray had been contaminated. It wasn't. Since I opened the tray though, a few pins popped up today, mostly side-pinning (why didn't I listen  :facepalm: ) and I'm thinking that adding a top layer of fibres was a bad idea because the top isn't 100%, but is pinning. The only parts the aren't colonized on the top are the chunks, but the mycelium is really thick around these areas. Now that I have pins and side pins, should I fruit it now? Afraid to open the tray to take a pics of the progress.

--------------------

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15971122 - 03/20/12 10:05 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Content said:
Everything's looking good so far. I opened the tray at about day 10, because I thought the tray had been contaminated. It wasn't. Since I opened the tray though, a few pins popped up today, mostly side-pinning (why didn't I listen  :facepalm: )

Didn't you use a black plastic bag on the bottom of the tub?
Opening the tub decreases the CO2 concentration drastically and that tells the myc to start fruiting. Be more careful next time and make sure you have a way to peek without opening the tub, i.e. a large window on the top of the tub.

Quote:

and I'm thinking that adding a top layer of fibres was a bad idea because the top isn't 100%, but is pinning.

I think you would have been fine if you wouldn't have opened it prior to full colonisation.

Quote:

The only parts the aren't colonized on the top are the chunks, but the mycelium is really thick around these areas. Now that I have pins and side pins, should I fruit it now? Afraid to open the tray to take a pics of the progress.

If you don't let it finish you run a high risk of contamination resulting in a completely failed grow. Make sure CO2 builds up again and the myc penetretes the rest of the sub. I would also let it consolidate a little after that unless the sub starts knotting heavily. Just forget those side pins, they might turn to aborts or very long stemmed fruits.

Did you use Damions Coir tek for the husk?

--------------------

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

#15971293 - 03/20/12 10:52 AM (12 years, 11 days ago)

This is my first tray. I wanted to be able to watch its progress through the sides. Should I wrap foil around the tray before it pins any further?

No, I just used straight coco husk.

Quote:

If you don't let it finish you run a high risk of contamination resulting in a completely failed grow. Make sure CO2 builds up again and the myc penetretes the rest of the sub. I would also let it consolidate a little after that unless the sub starts knotting heavily. Just forget those side pins, they might turn to aborts or very long stemmed fruits.

I haven't opened opened the tray since day 10, it is almost day 14. When I checked on its progress this morning, I didn't want to fruit it, but some of these primordia are pretty big. BTW the top is about 85% colonized while the rest of the substrate is 100%.

Edited by Content (03/20/12 10:53 AM)

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15977677 - 03/21/12 06:00 PM (12 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Content said:
This is my first tray. I wanted to be able to watch its progress through the sides. Should I wrap foil around the tray before it pins any further?

I don't think that will change much. The substrate is gonna shrink and your side-pinning problem stays. Next time put the sub in a black trash bag. Don't disturb it now.

Quote:

No, I just used straight coco husk.

So you pasteurized it properly like e.g. straw or manure?

Quote:

I haven't opened opened the tray since day 10, it is almost day 14. When I checked on its progress this morning, I didn't want to fruit it, but some of these primordia are pretty big. BTW the top is about 85% colonized while the rest of the substrate is 100%.

Be patient.

--------------------

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

#15982722 - 03/22/12 06:30 PM (12 years, 8 days ago)

I sterilized it. Was afraid that the chunks in the substrate wouldn't be properly pasteurized because they are pretty thick chunks.

The tray is pinning mad. Clusters all over the substrate, actually very little side pinning.

--------------------

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

Edited by Content (03/22/12 06:48 PM)

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

#15987267 - 03/23/12 07:31 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

If it's fully colonized, fruit it. Introduce light, FAE and all that crap.

--------------------

OfflineContent
Hi
Male User Gallery

#15987803 - 03/23/12 09:46 PM (12 years, 7 days ago)

Honestly do not know what fully colonized is haha. Some of the chunks at the top are still exposed but I say the top is now 95% colonized with really dense South African mycelium. The rest of the tray is colonized though.

--------------------

PESHawaiian ~ 4-HO-DMT

Edited by Content (03/23/12 09:47 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix