Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
humidity too low - no condensation help!!!!
    #1596107 - 05/31/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

HI all,

so Arnie has a cool mist humidifier running into a styrofoam cooler AND is using a layer of perlite on the bottom of the terranium... no condensation is occuring anywhere, including on the plexiglass drip shield. Humidifier has been running for several hours and the perlite has been wet for almost 24. I tried to plug up all of the air holes including my CO2 exhaust (just to try and get the humidity level high) and put the cooler lid on tight with big physics books on top... and still no condensation. I thought that perlite alone would create such a humid environment that it would require a drip shield, and my shield is bone dry unless I spray the damn thing... please help, Arnie has his first cake sitting in there and he wants it to be happy...

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (05/31/03 01:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: humidity too low - no condensation help!!!! [Re: kukusz]
    #1596118 - 05/31/03 01:32 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Condensation is more an indicator of temperature difference between the inside and outside of your terrarium than it is of high humidity.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinekukusz

Re: humidity too low - no condensation help!!!! [Re: dog]
    #1596137 - 05/31/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

that's a really good point - I should really use those physics books I'm using to weigh down my cooler lid, lol... Ok, so the inside temp of the cooler is about 76.6 and the outside temp is 81.9. The analog hygrometer says 82%, but it cost 5 bucks and came with a thermometer attached. My digital hygrometer says saturated (over 90%) but it's a cheapo as well...

So I guess my question is - is there any way to tell how humid it is without spending $$$ on a good hygrometer?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1596142 - 05/31/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

>so the inside temp of the cooler is about 76.6 and the outside temp is 81.9

No wonder then. You will only get condensation on the walls if the outside temperature is LOWER than the inside temperature.

OfflineZeppelin
I'm Gonna BurnOne Down.

#1596148 - 05/31/03 01:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

that's a really good point - I should really use those physics books I'm using to weigh down my cooler lid, lol... Ok, so the inside temp of the cooler is about 76.6 and the outside temp is 81.9. The analog hygrometer says 82%, but it cost 5 bucks and came with a thermometer attached. My digital hygrometer says saturated (over 90%) but it's a cheapo as well...

So I guess my question is - is there any way to tell how humid it is without spending $$$ on a good hygrometer?

Not really. A lot of people find that a cool mist doesn't provide enough humidity by itself, so they use it as air exchange in conjunction with an ultrasonic run on a timer. If you plan on this hobby as being something you will be doing for a while, I really suggest a hygrometer. But, if cash is an issue, I don't know what to tell you. There might be some other device that reads humidity, but I don't know.

--------------------
I'm afraid of losing my obscurity.
Genuineness only thrives in the dark.

Like celery. ~Aldous Huxley

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1596159 - 05/31/03 01:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If you were using damp perlite alone my friend would guarantee that your humidity was fine.

He uses a funky old "Natural Cascade" humidifier for air exchange and has no problems... but he is unfamiliar with Cool Mist.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinekukusz

Re: humidity too low - no condensation help!!!! [Re: Zeppelin]
    #1596162 - 05/31/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for all the good replies - there's a hygrometer for sale here that looks good, I called them, they said they are accurate to +-0.5% with a range of 5%-95%.

Edmund Scientific - Hygrometer

thanks!

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1597172 - 06/01/03 12:27 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if you dont want to bother buying a new hygrometer than pm and i will tell you (anyone) how to precisely calibrate your hygrometer.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hygrometer, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation