Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBrillig
Prodigal Son

Rhizomorphic Growth...
    #15947469 - 03/14/12 06:16 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Do the various jar substrate ingredients affect the rhizomorphic growth of mycelium...For instance, does mycelium grow more rhizomorphic on BRF than it does on Rye Berries???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinewerDehT
Offset
Male

Loc: Over the cuckoo's nest
Re: Rhizomorphic Growth... [Re: Brillig]
    #15947474 - 03/14/12 06:18 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

No

--------------------
"It's only after you've lost everything that your free to do anything."

OfflineDesykaLamgeene
Stranger
    #15947503 - 03/14/12 06:23 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

I saw someone on the board say that rhizomorphic growth arises from less nutrients in the substrate. So if that's true, then yeah I could see more rhizomorphic growth forming in certain substrates over others.

However, I have many jars going and they all have the exact same mix of substrate, but two different strains. The jars with Burma's are forming almost 100% rhizomorphic growth whereas the jars with PES Hawaiian's is forming 100% fuzzy condensed growth.

So I'm not sure - just wanted to add in what I've heard and my personal experience. I'm sure other more experiences growers will chime in with more solid info.

OfflineDrCrumbs
Alpha Blue

Loc: Gili Trawangan
Re: Rhizomorphic Growth... [Re: DesykaLamgeene]
    #15947553 - 03/14/12 06:33 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Yeah, the rhizomorphic growth is much more pronounced to the eye when on less nutrient substrates. It looks like its stretching and searching for food.

When a brf jar is 100% and you see the growth reaching through the dry the layer, you can see the growth very well.

OfflinewerDehT
Offset
Male

Loc: Over the cuckoo's nest
Re: Rhizomorphic Growth... [Re: DrCrumbs]
    #15947754 - 03/14/12 07:06 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

It has much more to do with the genetics than what GRAIN you are using. Unless your using additives, the content isn't going to vary much. of course it won't look as healthy if it's starved for nutrients, but if ur pf cakes are done right it won't be, and using any grain it won't be.

Also, if the pf tek is done right, it will not grow through the dry layer. Verm has no nutrients, so myc will not colonize it. Period. This is y we use the dry layer, because other molds can't colonize it either. Competitor mold spores enter through your holes, sit on the verm and starve to death.

--------------------
"It's only after you've lost everything that your free to do anything."

InvisibleBrillig
Prodigal Son

#15949034 - 03/14/12 11:17 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Hmmm...I originally asked this question because I had notice that my Rye jars seemed to be growing more fluffy (tomentose) mycelium and my PF Tek Jars (from my early days) used to grow more rhizomorphic mycelium...This got me wondering about whether the substrate was the variable...

Likewise, I remember reading something years ago, that said that certain strains tend to grow fluffy mycelium, while others grow more rhyzomorphic mycelium...

Finally, I remember something about 'sectoring' which uses agar to separate strong rhizomophic growth away from the weaker tomentose growth thus speeding up a process that happens naturally over time...The idea being that tomentose mycelium is usually the type of mycelium you get from a spore print, but that (with time) the subsequent generations of that print will develop more rhyzomorphic mycelium...

I've been growing legal mushrooms (off and on) for many decades, but I tend to forget most of what I know until I start growing again...Then it all comes back as a hodge-podge of vague recollections...Wish I was a better note taker, but I have an aversion to organisation for some reason...So, that leaves me wondering how much of what I remember is true...

Anyone know how much of my mycelium memory is accurate???

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
    #15949266 - 03/15/12 12:39 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Myc will colonize verm. Verm has minerals in it that mushrooms like. If you let your cakes go until you see pins, you'll find the verm layer is often partially colonized. By full colonization, the verm layer isn't bone dry any more either.

Mycelium responds to it's environment with rhizo or fuzzy growth. Moisture content is probably the biggest factor. If it needs to search out new sources of food/water it will grow long and stringy. If it's got lots of nutrients, it will be cottony. If it's contaminated with bacteria, it will be cottony, thick, and colonize very thickly. Myc likes to dig and bac likes to swim, so myc usually wins in a substrate.

@ op:
You should refresh it all with RR's videos (Let's grow mushrooms!). Since you already have some experience, you could probably start it out on agar. Shouldn't be more than $20-40 to do that.

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck