Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShpongle1
Male

Loc: Above The Clouds Flag
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: The Boat]
    #15948852 - 03/14/12 10:26 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Sometimes I wonder what the most unbelievable thing that ever happened on the planet is...  Just the most absurdly coincidental, or unlikely occurrence.  I'd love to watch a montage of "The Most Absurdly Coincidental and Unlikely Occurrences Of The Past 50,000 Years".  Some crazy stuff I know that much.

I'm with you guys on the Renaissance/Enlightenment time period.  Maybe I will do something like the Newton vs Liebniz controversy and the impact that their math had on our understanding of the world/universe.  Galileo is the man too though.  I think I may need to go with Newton/Liebniz.  The class will probably be bored as fuck, but it's a pretty decent topic, if I do it right.

--------------------

There are more people imprisoned for the commission of drug offenses in the United States - close to 500,000 - than are incarcerated in England, France, Germany, and Japan for all crimes combined.  Examined in another way, the United States has 100,000 more people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses than all the countries of the European Union combined, despite the fact that the European Union has 100 million more citizens. :crankey: 

- "Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration, 2007.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLySergic D
Drink all day and rock all night
Male User Gallery

Re: Did any cool shit happen between <a href="tel:1500-1800">1500-1800</a>? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #15948859 - 03/14/12 10:28 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Jeez^^ I didn't know that. Pretty fucked.

--------------------

Broken heart don't feel so bad
You ain't got half of what you thought you had
Rock you baby to and fro
Not too fast and not too slow

Offlinerealfuzzhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: above the smog layer Flag
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: Shpongle1]
    #15948893 - 03/14/12 10:37 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

lol no they did nothing but sit around all day and eat bread..

shit man physics, art, music, economics, war, the rise and fall of empires,  take your pick

Edited by realfuzzhead (03/14/12 10:38 PM)

Offlinehello_im_alex
Stranger

Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: realfuzzhead]
    #15948968 - 03/14/12 10:59 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

check out Emanuel Swedenborg. "the greatest occultist of the eighteenth century," says Colin Wilson.

Offlinebananaman
thinker

Loc: Earth
    #15949046 - 03/14/12 11:20 PM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Shpongle1 said:
Sometimes I wonder what the most unbelievable thing that ever happened on the planet is...  Just the most absurdly coincidental, or unlikely occurrence.  I'd love to watch a montage of "The Most Absurdly Coincidental and Unlikely Occurrences Of The Past 50,000 Years".  Some crazy stuff I know that much.

I'm with you guys on the Renaissance/Enlightenment time period.  Maybe I will do something like the Newton vs Liebniz controversy and the impact that their math had on our understanding of the world/universe.  Galileo is the man too though.  I think I may need to go with Newton/Liebniz.  The class will probably be bored as fuck, but it's a pretty decent topic, if I do it right.

The Enlightenment was the shit. You can talk about Voltaire and his 40 cups of coffee per day.

--------------------
X___________________

OfflineThe Boat
Stoner with a boner

Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: bananaman]
    #15949272 - 03/15/12 12:42 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Look at the fuckin pirimids, they had electricity and everything! Like straight up alien tecnology look it up on YouTube. There has definitely been more advanced civilizations on this planet then the current. I mean humans have been here for a looonggg time, and it's not like they used to be retarded. They knew the planet wasnt flat and about the moon and our place in the solar system and shit. They had technology too just like us it's just that we don't learn about this shit because the illuminati / elite whatever you want to call it has it stored away to themselves and are god knows how many years ahead of us in technology control the media, what we are taught in school etc.. And they fucking know we don't read and are sheep soo we just live in the current I guess. They WANT to keep us stupid. No doubt some mind blowing shit has gone down on this planet though. They keep us controlled by a peice of paper known as money it has a pirimid right on it with the language of our ancestors around it and nobody notices any of this shit. I don't even know how much truth or ignorance was in this post, but no doubt some crazy things lay far beyond the eye.

--------------------

01:21:35 ‹Enlil› I know how to handle the cock

Edited by The Boat (03/15/12 12:52 AM)

Offlineteamkiller
ghetto drama whore
 User Gallery

Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: The Boat]
    #15949385 - 03/15/12 01:25 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

the bubonic plague and the associated plague doctors were pretty cool.

--------------------

OfflineDr. P. Silocybin
Would you like fries with that?
 User Gallery

Loc: The Great Divide
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: teamkiller] * 1
    #15949547 - 03/15/12 02:34 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

If you're interested in indigenous reactions to western contact, I think the story of the Westo Indians is really interesting. They were originally the Erie nation, the lake is named after them. Their neighbors, the Iroquois were becoming increasingly dominant in the lucrative beaver pelt trade with the french. (beaver fur was very fashionable in Europe) They traded for guns which they used to expand their territory and therefore get more beaver pelts and more guns. Many tribes chose to pay tribute to the Iroquois rather than fight, but the Erie faced them in battle and were defeated. Warriors who were captured alive were ritualistically tortured for sacrifice, and the Women and children were taken as slaves. Those that escaped fled south across the Appalachians. Once they got around Richmond, VA they reorganized themselves as nomadic slave raiders. They traveled all across the south eastern united states attacking small tribes, killing the men, and taking the women and children. They would trade their slaves to colonists for guns, which they used to get more slaves. They were extremely successful, in fact they were so successful that the English colonists began to fear their power. They formed a secret alliance with many of the tribes that the Westo had preyed upon, the people who's mothers had been bought by the colonists in exchange for guns used to kill their fathers. These tribes, together with the English colonists exterminated the Westo indians around 1680. Europeans understood very well how to divide and conquer, and that is why we speak english in America.

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: Dr. P. Silocybin]
    #15949588 - 03/15/12 02:58 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

just lots of people fucking and shitting. same stuff that's been happenign since the evolution of the anus/genitals circa ~1200 bc

--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

OfflinePigasus
D.T.K.L.A.M.F.

Loc: slow death
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: teamkiller] * 1
    #15949603 - 03/15/12 03:06 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

the main
Quote:

teamkiller said:
the bubonic plague and the associated plague doctors were pretty cool.

the main outbreak of the plague that you're probably thinking of (the one that murked 1/3 of the population of europe) that happened in the mid-1300s...

in the 16th century alone you have:

the letter J introduced to the english alphabet

the invention of the graphite pencil

galileo popularizes heliocentric theory, spends the rest of his life under house arrest on the order of the church; the church takes over 300 years to admit wrongdoing

opium addict samuel taylor coleridge gets the inspiration for the poem "kubla khan" while nodding; he never finishes it

countess bathory killing hundreds of virgin peasant girls and bathing in their blood to achieve eternal youth; it doesn't work

jonathan swift writes "a modest proposal" to this day the most celebrated work of literature about the eating of children in existence

hieronymous bosch finishes painting this motherfucking shit:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #15949703 - 03/15/12 04:06 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Shpongle1 said:

Why not just Newton? He's most popular for the math and physics that we still use today. But I think his occult side, in particular his interest in alchemy, is an interesting contrast from today's perspective. Personally, I'd love to be lectured on how the occult and scientific aspects of his work relate, and while they seem almost opposites of a spectrum by today's standards (one being highly rational, the other, well, occult or even irrational), how come they are combined in that same person? What does it say about Newton as a person? What does it say about scientific progress in the 1600s? That way, you have a specific subject to talk about, and that subject at the same time allows you to connect your lecture to the broader development of the Enlightenment which your fellow students can relate to.

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: koraks]
    #15949732 - 03/15/12 04:37 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

Shpongle1 said:

Why not just Newton?

Don't diss on Leibniz man. I'd agree that a piece on the beef between the big daddies of calculus would be a pretty neat topic to write about.

Quote:

nooneman said:
Only a lot of the most important events in history.
... America first colonized by spanish, US founded, US independence, Native American Genocide, US constitution, US bill of rights, ..., right to bear arms, a bunch of states added to the US, founding of Canada, mexican independence, the list goes on and on.

Those are some of the most important events in history?

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: KremrBigSikter] * 1
    #15949734 - 03/15/12 04:40 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

OfflineB0b0
Sage
 User Gallery

#15949768 - 03/15/12 05:06 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Sir Issac Newton - 1642 to 1727

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: B0b0]
    #15949786 - 03/15/12 05:20 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

B0b0 said:
Sir Issac Newton - 1642 to 1727

His most notable contributions to Science were made in the late 1600s. But If I had said "What does it say about scientific progress in the late 1600s and early 1700s?", it would have been more correct. Thanks for your contribution.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
    #15949800 - 03/15/12 05:35 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Shpongle1 said:
So I have to do an essay and presentation for this History of Western Civilization class.  This is one of my least favorite classes that I've ever taken.  All we're learning about is these fuckers constantly going ape shit and killing each other and trying to behead fat fucks so they can get in to power and start abusing it.

The cool thing is that the options seem pretty open, so I can do it on just about anything/anyone who lived at that time period, an invention, idea, whatever...  Anyone have any good ideas to help a brother out?  I'd like to do something on an awesome thinker, something psychedelic related would be cool too, if possible.  Thought of maybe the ergotism that was causing crazy shit to happen but I don't know about that...  The Elusinian Mysteries would be dope, but that is ancient Greece, wrong time period/location so I'm basically fucking stumped.

Just looking for any cool suggestions, you guys come up with some cool stuff on occasion.

Brittains opium wars
Napoleon
The ottoman empire
The maratha confederacy
The mughal empire

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Did any cool shit happen between 1500-1800? [Re: Beanhead]
    #15949824 - 03/15/12 05:53 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
Brittains opium wars
Napoleon
The ottoman empire
The maratha confederacy
The mughal empire

Those are all around or after 1800; perhaps a bit late for OP's purposes? Interesting subjects though; each worth at least a couple of dozen PhD theses.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #15949845 - 03/15/12 06:11 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineShpongle1
Male

Loc: Above The Clouds Flag
    #15949848 - 03/15/12 06:13 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Thanks guys, I think there's been some cool stuff compiled in here now.  I didn't expect this kind of turn out on this topic.  Happily surprised!

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

Shpongle1 said:

Why not just Newton? He's most popular for the math and physics that we still use today. But I think his occult side, in particular his interest in alchemy, is an interesting contrast from today's perspective. Personally, I'd love to be lectured on how the occult and scientific aspects of his work relate, and while they seem almost opposites of a spectrum by today's standards (one being highly rational, the other, well, occult or even irrational), how come they are combined in that same person?

Weird man, that's exactly what I was thinking.  I looked up the particular Terence McKenna lectures I was talking about earlier where he discusses some interesting things from this time period and Newton's interest in alchemy was one of the main quotes listed from the talk.  I immediately took interest in that statement and considered doing just what you've said.

I think I'm going to say I'm choosing Newton, which will give me a bit of time to start researching.  Who knows, I may actually end up changing it to something else listed here once I get a bit of breathing room.  It's not even do until the end of the semester.

--------------------

There are more people imprisoned for the commission of drug offenses in the United States - close to 500,000 - than are incarcerated in England, France, Germany, and Japan for all crimes combined.  Examined in another way, the United States has 100,000 more people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses than all the countries of the European Union combined, despite the fact that the European Union has 100 million more citizens. :crankey: 

- "Drugs and Drug Policy: The Control of Consciousness Alteration, 2007.

Invisiblekoraks
    #15949858 - 03/15/12 06:21 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Well, sounds great; do some initial research and see if a particular subject really grabs you. Like you said, there's still time to refocus your research, which is the most comfortable way to start something like this. Do some exploring and the decide on the direction you want to pursue. Having said that, the Newton idea definitely has potential. I think I heard someone talk about it on the radio some two years ago and I found it pretty fascinating. In particular the stuff about how Newton moved along the lower social classes and dabbled in rather dubious behaviors during periods of 'fermentation' (which I understand is not only an [al]chemical process, but also a mental process intended to 'digest' subject matter). Interesting stuff; Wikipedia has little to no information on it, so it'd be interesting to unlock the knowledge that is available in other, more specific sources.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom