Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster
    #15940877 - 03/13/12 03:05 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Ok long time lurker first time grower.

I ordered 4 LC syringes (2 lions mane, 2 pearl oyster) and they sat in fridge about a week before starting use. Last week after getting impatient I decided to use 1 of each to go strait to WBS. The wbs had cracked corn (which I now know sucks a$$)Everything was sticky and took a ton of cleaning. I also saved the sunflower seeds to see what they might do. At this point this is what I have. And yes, I do need a better camera for this. There is little detail.

Sunflower Seeds (Lions Mane)

I am getting some fuzzy growth in there. Hoping its not contams.

WBS (Lions mane)

As far as my Pearl Oyster goes I am seeing no growth at all in the 5 jars (4-wbs 1-Sfs) I knocked up. So 2 knights ago I decided to use part of the other 2 syringes. I made 4 DX-ELME LC's and 4 plates of each to agar.

I am seeing growth in the Oyster LC's as shown here.

The Agar I am Seeing nothing in either LM or Oys. I am seeing a lot of water/condinsation

Well I am holding all in a incubator at around 80 degrees. Any thought's concerning the grow welcome. I guess at this point I am worried about the same thing that has concerned everyone else on there 1st grow. Am I growing something other than mushies?, Is it growing too fast/slow? 2 days for that kind of growth in a lc concerns me as well as a little over a week for the fuzzy's on the wbs/sfs to show up.

I will continue posting/pic's as long as I believe I have mushies growing Thanks!!

Edited by Eagle (03/13/12 03:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSouthern_Mush
Growing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: Eagle]
    #15941014 - 03/13/12 04:36 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I use wbs and have never had a problem with the cracked corn.  How did you prepare the jars?  You should be seeing growth by now if you ordered lc syringes from a vendor.  LC is tricky and you really don't know what's growing inside until you spawn it to grain or check it to an agar petri.  I personally would give up on the LC idea for edibles and concentrate on grain expansions.  If your worried about contamination in your LC, make a petri and see what grows.

How long ago did you make your petri dishes?  It's hard to tell what you've got growing in your jar with the pictures provided.

Your incubation temperature is too high for the lions mane.

Lion's Mane (hericium erinaceus)

Spawn Run:
Incubation Temp: 70-75 degrees
RH: 95-100%
Duration: 10-14 days

Primordial Formation:
Initiation Temp: 50-60 degrees
RH: 95-100%
Duration: 3-5 days

Fruitbody Development:
Temp: 65-75 degrees
RH: 90-95%
Duration: 4-5 days

Cropping Cycle:
14 days apart

I don't know about the pearl oyster...regular oysters optimal spawn temp is 78-84 degrees, pinhead initiation at 55-60 degrees and cropping 60-70 degrees

Edited by Southern_Mush (03/13/12 04:46 AM)

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: Southern_Mush]
    #15941034 - 03/13/12 04:51 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Prepared wbs reg way.. rinse, rinse, rinse, soak 24 hrs, rinse, put into jars, pc @15 psi for 90 min. wait till cool and innoc.

Petri's were made cooled, and innoc'ed 2 nights ago same as LC's

Maybe ill try dropping the incubator temp from 80 to 77. So it will be in the middle of the oyster and Lions mane temps. The 2 I have in there.

Pearl Oyster is just another name for reg oyster.

Edited by Eagle (03/13/12 04:52 AM)

OfflineSouthern_Mush
Growing
Male User Gallery

#15941045 - 03/13/12 05:00 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I forgot that jars could be a pain, I use grow bags.  The petri won't show signs of growth for a couple of days but your jars should be showing growth.

I just noticed you have an inverted lid on your jars and no filter.  You need a filter, like that fancy hepa syringe filter on your LC jars.  You will have slow/no growth in your jars without air exchange...and without a filter, air exchange will contaminate your jars.  Keep them as is and think positive thoughts, but next time..filter!  Btw, I pc my wbs for 2 hours because of the corn.

Edited by Southern_Mush (03/13/12 05:02 AM)

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: Southern_Mush]
    #15941050 - 03/13/12 05:03 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Theres 2 lids on my wbs jars. 1 regular lid with a 1/2" hole drilled in it and a filter disk on top

OfflineSouthern_Mush
Growing
Male User Gallery

#15941056 - 03/13/12 05:07 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I would assume your hole is under the high heat silicone?  If that's the case, you won't be getting much air exchange.  You should have an injection port and an air port/filter such as your LC lids.

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

#15941059 - 03/13/12 05:09 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Yep the hole is under the rtv. its about 2x the size of the rtv blob on the top lid.

OfflineSouthern_Mush
Growing
Male User Gallery

#15941074 - 03/13/12 05:16 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

That would be the only reason for slow growth, but it seems like you've done a great job so just sit back and watch.  Technically petri dishes need air exchange, but I've taped them shut before and have had no problems.  Like a nervouse parent waiting for a baby to be born, your first grow is always the best.

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

#15941085 - 03/13/12 05:23 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

That's what I needed to know then. Sounds like i'm trying to rush things. I thought the petri would be faster than the jars of LC. And the wbs would be slowest of all. I guess it doesn't matter to be if most of it fails as long as I end up with 1 mushroom to clone or get a print off of so I wont have to buy more syringes for my next try. Once you get your genetics saved your pretty much set to crank them out from the looks of things.

OfflineTerry M
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male

Loc: Rhode Island
    #15941145 - 03/13/12 06:07 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Take your incubation temperature down to about 70 degrees -- no heating, but just room temperature. Anything much higher, and you are trying to rush things, and you'll be encouraging bacteria. I completely abandoned my incubators some time ago. (Anybody want two Rubbermaid fish tank heater incubators? :smile:). For the agar and spawn colonization, the growth parameters of the species don't really apply.

Since you expanded the vendor LC into jars, something could have gone wrong here. Did you get a lot of nice mycelial growth? Sometimes LC can contaminate right from the start if proper sterile procedure isn't followed.

--------------------
Liberté, égalité, humidité.

Edited by Terry M (03/13/12 06:30 AM)

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: Terry M]
    #15941530 - 03/13/12 10:11 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

As far as the lc jars go what ya see in the pic's is what grew in 2 days. I used proper sterile proc's though. The jars were pc'ed and once in flow-bag (Honeywell hepa air-purifier with a bag over it and 2 cut-outs for hands)wiped with alcohol. Syringe was wiped with alcohol and flame sterilized, re-wiped to help cool and the jars were injected. Foil caps were put back on and then pulled out of the flow-bag and placed in incubator at 80 degrees f. I cut entire works back to 77F. As far as room temp goes I don't think would fly at this time. I keep house cool (upper 60's).

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
    #15941622 - 03/13/12 10:50 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Eagle said:
As far as the lc jars go what ya see in the pic's is what grew in 2 days. I used proper sterile proc's though. The jars were pc'ed and once in flow-bag (Honeywell hepa air-purifier with a bag over it and 2 cut-outs for hands)wiped with alcohol. Syringe was wiped with alcohol and flame sterilized, re-wiped to help cool and the jars were injected. Foil caps were put back on and then pulled out of the flow-bag and placed in incubator at 80 degrees f. I cut entire works back to 77F. As far as room temp goes I don't think would fly at this time. I keep house cool (upper 60's).

I totally agree with what you said. I just put my grainjars up in a cupboard for colonization, Oysters, Lionsmane, and reishi all do great at 70'ish, + or -. Using incubators just complicates things, especially when your running various species and strains.

Also, I was wondering, did you use an entire syringe to inoculate each of those jars? I just use a cc or two, and wait for a few days before shaking the jars. If you used that much LC from the syringe in each jar you may have overdone it. maybe...

--------------------

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #15942174 - 03/13/12 01:43 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

I bought a 10cc syringe. put 2cc in each jar. might be on the small side idk but I wanted as many chances as I could get to have 1 successful fruiting so I could back-up my genetics.

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

#15942199 - 03/13/12 01:49 PM (12 years, 17 days ago)

As far as shaking goes I haven't shaken them at all. I've read you want the myc to take hold before you shake so since i'm just starting to see fuzzy on the wbs my guess is it hasn't got enough of a hold yet to shake.

As far as the LC's go didn't think you shaked them until your ready to use. those were innoc'ed 2 days ago so I don't think there ready to use yet?

OfflineSouthern_Mush
Growing
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: Terry M]
    #15944835 - 03/14/12 01:57 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Some people put marbles in their LC to break up the mycelium, others stir bars with a stir plate.  You need to shake your LC somehow without getting the filter wet, if you don't shake it the mycelium will mat together and you will not be able to suck it out.  I shake the spawn at 30%, any sooner and you risk killing your strain.

Quote:

Terry M said:
Take your incubation temperature down to about 70 degrees -- no heating, but just room temperature. Anything much higher, and you are trying to rush things, and you'll be encouraging bacteria. I completely abandoned my incubators some time ago. (Anybody want two Rubbermaid fish tank heater incubators? :smile:). For the agar and spawn colonization, the growth parameters of the species don't really apply.

Since you expanded the vendor LC into jars, something could have gone wrong here. Did you get a lot of nice mycelial growth? Sometimes LC can contaminate right from the start if proper sterile procedure isn't followed.

I find that for spawn colonization the growth parameters apply, such as you saying to colonize around 70....that's the growth parameter.  I'll take your incubator, I find my petri dishes colonize way faster in one.  Assuming you sterilized properly, an incubator will not expose your grain to bacteria. I would take the lions mane out and keep your home around 70, keep your oysters incubated and they'll colonize quicker than they would at 70.  The vendors LC syringe will have antibiotics in it to prevent contamination so any contam would be user error.  If your LC is high is sucrose, you will see explosive growth followed by a stall in growth as the mycelium gets done eating all the sugar.  The LC would benifit from the incubator too.

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
    #15945751 - 03/14/12 10:49 AM (12 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Eagle said:
As far as shaking goes I haven't shaken them at all. I've read you want the myc to take hold before you shake so since i'm just starting to see fuzzy on the wbs my guess is it hasn't got enough of a hold yet to shake.

As far as the LC's go didn't think you shaked them until your ready to use. those were innoc'ed 2 days ago so I don't think there ready to use yet?

Ok, I gotcha. I misunderstood ya.  Yea thats what I meant when I said wait a few days before shaking....after you get mycelium growing a bit.:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineEagle
Horney Biker
Male User Gallery

Re: 1st run edible grow log w/pic's Lions Mane, Pearl Oyster [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #15950858 - 03/15/12 01:07 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Update. Today marks the death of my lions mane. The wonderful fuzzy that I saw turned green. :mad2: So now the jars are sitting in my PC at 15 lb's to kill off the nasty. I'm wondering since it is only the lion's mane (all of them) and not the oyster's that perhaps it was the syringe at fault. If it was cleanliness it would seem that either everything would of been wiped out or.. it would be hit and miss. but since it hit all my LM and only my (LM)and all of them came from the same syringe. Well it seems a bit suspicious. :shrug:

OfflineOOOG
Stranger

#15951695 - 03/15/12 04:15 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

Rockin it :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates