Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLothar
Primate
Male

Loc: Herding cats Flag
Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers?
    #15936476 - 03/12/12 08:11 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking of using my ultrasonic over my two FCs to maintain humidity and was curious if anyone here had experimented with using a small amount (how much I'm not sure) of bleach or other disinfectant in the humidifier water to prevent the introduction of further contaninants.

Would this harm the fungus, or be useful?

Thanks

--------------------
"What?" ~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineMongoose32216
Super cool guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: etc. Flag
Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: Lothar]
    #15936514 - 03/12/12 08:43 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Bleach will kill everything and prolly mess up your humidifiers rubber lines inside. (As bleach will eat at that stuff)lysol and other petroleum based cleaning products can cause rosecomb as well as just plain poison your shroomys in high amounts. I would just stick to water lol

--------------------
[quote]RogerRabbit said:

If you build a shotgun terrarium per the tek and your hygrometer says humidity is too low, smash the hygrometer with a hammer and leave the terrarium alone.
RR[/quote]

Seeing the knots form each day like little magic pearls on a white silk sheet, then over night popping up and taking form irreplaceable.

:missionary::mushdance::band:
sex, drugs, rock and roll then nap time im to old for this crap

OfflineLothar
Primate
Male

Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: Mongoose32216]
    #15936567 - 03/12/12 09:26 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was speaking in terms of 2ml per litre or something, in the type of amounts you would use to sterilize water for drinking. Or, there are microbial / antibacterial additives sold in the humidifier section of most hardware stores. Does anyone have experience with these?

--------------------

Offlinemigraineur
Geezer
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: Mongoose32216]
    #15936575 - 03/12/12 09:31 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Iodine tincture or bleach would disinfect the water. You only need a very tiny amount too. Many countries use bleach (chlorine) to disinfect water. I'd be more worried about the impurities in the water messing up a humidifier by causing calcium deposits. You could avoid this by using distilled/demineralized water. You could save heaps by buying your own machine that automatically makes distilled water although the initial investment might put you off. However, it'll make your humidifier last longer so you won't need to replace parts or the whole thing so often. It will also make your iron last longer too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_tincture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach

OfflineLothar
Primate
Male

Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: migraineur]
    #15936613 - 03/12/12 09:49 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you.

The water where I am is surprisingly clean. It tests out at 70 ppm for disloved salts (which is incredibly low for tap water). I've actually used this same machine for years for ultrasonic cloning. Basically you set up a chamber with holes in the top where you insert plant clippings and the fog below allows them to root.

It hasn't really suffered from any mineral buildup so far, so I can probably not worry about that. Thanks for the iodine suggestion, I'll look into that. :cool:

--------------------

Offlinenemesis19902008
CrAzY
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: Lothar]
    #15936670 - 03/12/12 10:09 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I dilute the water in my hydrotron with 3% H2O2. Haven't had any problems with that.

--------------------
All of my photos are fabricated or retrieved from the internet and are not mine :smile:

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

There's a part of every living thing that wants to become itself: the tadpole into the frog, the chrysalis into the butterfly, a damaged human being into a whole one. That is spirituality.

OfflineLothar
Primate
Male

Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: nemesis19902008]
    #15936709 - 03/12/12 10:26 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

H2O2 is probably a wise choice, as it decomposes down to water and oxygen. I used to use it extensively in hydroponices, but quit due to its realatively short half life an its effect on beneficial microbes. If you're using it in your humidifier, keep in mind that atmospherically it's likely to be all gone every 24 hours or so.

I have no idea what effect it might have on mycelium tissue however. I'm a newb to mushrooms, but not horticulture, I'd be wary of it contacting the tissue directly.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #15936767 - 03/12/12 10:48 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers?

There's no benefit because bleach or cleaners will only 'disinfect' bacteria which isn't a contaminant of fruiting substrates anyway.  You won't get enough bleach or other cleaner to impact molds without also ruining the humidifier and/or impacting your own health.  Use plain water.

Nice sporty.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineLothar
Primate
Male

Re: Is there any benefit or detriment to using a disinfectant in humidifiers? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #15937045 - 03/12/12 12:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

nice Sporty

It's finally above zero here...another couple of days and...:cool:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom