Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFaethor
Stranger
first time poster, found interesting mushroom
    #1589639 - 05/29/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hello,
I found a mushrrom while I was out today searching the cowfield, but I didn't find it in the cow field.
I live the northeastern part of Flordia and at a certain field I have been going to and had friends going to for years, IF you go back far enough, it turns into swamp.
The way the field works is, its grazeland,forest, then boggy/swamp.
The forest part is covered with pines.
I was walking along a cow trail, when off to the side I found this huge mushroom.
I was orangish brown on the cap, and a off white on the stalk. I knocked it over with my hatchet and it uprooted the hole thing... Plus, The understide of the mushrrom was brused as soon as I put the slightest bit of force on it. I flicked the cap, the underside of the cap, and the stalk each, to see what the shoom felt like... here a good desc, since I have no pictures...
Found it under a Pine, about 5 inches away from it, and it had grown out of pineneedles.. I didn't find anyother ones near it, or under the pineneedles, nor did I find anymore at all. The cap was orangish brown, and very hard, and kinda ruff and about 3 or maby 4 inches wide.. and maby a half a inch thick. The underside had no gills and brushed at the slighist use of force. The stalk was about 4 to 6 inches tall, and a bit thicker than the cap. It didn't bruse at all. It was also very hard.
After finding that only mushroom, I went to Barns and Noble and found a mushroom book. I don't remember its name, or even know if it was it or not. But the desc the book gave was exactly what I found...
Can anybody tell me what type of mushroom this is, if it is edible/psycoactive/deadly.
Its just for research, as I am making a mushroom collection because its the first time I have ever found this one anywhere. Thanks for the help!
Faethor Ferenczy.

Edited by Faethor (05/29/03 04:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFaethor
Stranger
Re: first time poster, found interesting mushroom [Re: Faethor]
    #1589946 - 05/29/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Was hoping someone could help me ID it....
Also, Are there any type of psycoative mushrooms that I can find anywhere besides cow fields. I read in on a few websites and books that you can find some in forests. Anybody know of any types here in flordia?
Thanks again.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1589947 - 05/29/03 05:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

hello,

you probably found a type of Bolete.

Bolete's that stain blue should be avoided,
-As most Bolete's that stain blue are Poisonous.

welcome to the shroomery.

Keep shroomin,
GG

OfflineFaethor
Stranger
Re: first time poster, found interesting mushroom [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1590050 - 05/29/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm. Would you happen to know the full scientific name?
The one I found in the book at B&N started with a S...
I really need to do a spore print, but the microscope I had broke last year.. gotta get a new one...
Thanks, I will hunt the net for Bolete's pics till I find what I found...

Faethor Ferenczy

OfflineFaethor
Stranger
    #1590199 - 05/29/03 06:19 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ah HA!

I found it!
Suillus Granulatus is its name!
Here is the website with a pic and desc of it!
http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/id_guide/boletales/suillus_granulatus.htm

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1590292 - 05/29/03 06:38 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Cool find! :smile:

BTW, the main point of a spore print in most cases is simply to determine its color... No microscope needed! :smile:

Good job with the ID.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1590301 - 05/29/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I would like to point out something you may have overlooked.

On the link you provided it says:
"The cap flesh is pale yellow and soft; it does not change colour when the cap is cut".

Yet you say :
"The understide of the mushrrom was brused as soon as I put the slightest bit of force on it".

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: first time poster, found interesting mushroom [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1592684 - 05/30/03 10:37 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

GG: why do you say that many boletes that stain blue are poisonous. there may be a few, but i dont know of any poisonous boletes that stain blue and know many that are edible and stain blue. please inform me on poisonous blue staining boletes if you can.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: first time poster, found interesting mushroom [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1592721 - 05/30/03 10:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Here is a quick list of boletes which bruise blue and are considered poisonous (it's not a complete list). Please note that I limited myself to the genus Boletus only.

Boletus erythropus
Boletus amygdalinus
Boletus subvelutipes
Boletus hypocarycinus
Boletus orovillus
Boletus satanas
Boletus pulcherrimus
Boletus haematinus
Boletus luridus
Boletus sensibilis

Note also that not all of these species have red or orange tubes or tube mouths.

There are also a number of species I could put into a similar list which are currently of unknown edibility/toxicity.

As a group, boletes are fairly safe, if you avoid any with red or orange tubes or tube mouths, or which bruise blue, or both. You will be avoiding some edible species, but you can at least be sure of avoiding all the known poisonous ones.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineFaethor
Stranger
Re: first time poster, found interesting mushroom [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1595396 - 05/31/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Good point..
I havn't had a chance to go to barns and nobel yet, to recheck what mushroom this is, and I am curently trying to find teacher who at my college that would know a bit about mushrooms...
If I do a spore print, whats a good way to tell if this is a safe mushroom, or a bad one.... I have a collection of bad ones I have found around town, and other ones. I did a science project a few years back and went to state because of it :-P

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1595714 - 05/31/03 05:03 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Spore print is one of the important features we need to know to identify a bolete. The other big one would be a description (detailed) of the surface of the stem, and whether the stem is hollow or not (you'll need to cut it in half vertically).

For the surface we need to know whether it has scabers (coarse hair-like things which are darker than the stalk surface), glandular dots (which would typically be tiny), reticulate (appears as if covered with a fine net), or smooth.

After we know all that stuff we can probably get to get right genus. Then we get to really start trying to classify it.

Short of identifying it to species there's no way to know (without eating it - the stupidest way to find out) whether it's poisonous or not.

Let us know if you'd like to continue trying to ID it. If so, a very detailed description will be needed. If you don't know what to put it the description it can all be eventually asked, it will just take quite a bit longer.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: first time poster, found interesting mushroom [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1602087 - 06/02/03 04:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

oh yes toxicman i got it now.......but i was also thinking of all the boletes that stain blue and are edible....

for one reason or another i tend to omit the orange and red colored boletus species because a lot of them are poisonous and/or very peppery. its just a thing for when i used to hunt for only edible species that i knew.....thanks for the list toxic.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order