Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Bulk cow dung failure, help requested..
    #1592714 - 05/30/03 12:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, below is a copy/paste from someone's grow log. Not sure where I got it, but looks like they might need some help.

~1 lb. (not measured) of dry, aged cow dung was pasteurized at a steady 170? F for 1.5 hours. It was left to drain and cool for ~2.5 hours. This dung will be spawned with the remaining jars of colonized BRF, which have been kept in the dark to suppress early pinning. A blender has been procured, so grinding the cakes for spawn will be much easier and quicker this time. (Note ? the dung used was very dry, and was located in a very hot/dry climate. Bits of grass/leaves and other debris was present on the underside of the patties, imbedded into the dry, hardened dung. The debris was nearly impossible to remove, because it was so dry it just turned to powder on contact. Thus the debris was largely left untouched. Hopefully this will not be a problem.)

May 27 ? Dung had cooled, and was hand-squeezed to obtain the correct moisture content. After washing hands with alcohol, the remaining jars of spawn were mixed in thoroughly with the dung. The lid was placed on the container, and it was left to sit in the dark until fully colonized. Temperature will be kept at roughly 75? F. This casing will be referred to as Casing #3. (Note ? No H2O2 was available while spawning the dung, so none was mixed into the substrate. We shall see how it goes, but it seems like having no H2O2 may create problems in the future.)

May 29 ? Dung casing's progress is questionable, but there is a lack of experience to formulate a basis for comparison. Mycelial growth is rhizomorphic in the areas around the tiny chunks of BRF, but there is a fear that contamination has already set in. Dull, off-white, matted growth, which may or may not be cobweb mold, has been spotted. Because there was no H2O2 used during preparation, it is very possible that it could be cobweb, since H2O2 readily destroys cobweb mold. However, it could also be cottony mycelium on a dark background, since it appears rhizomorphic. It may just be thin, so it appears duller. Also noticed were light tan/brown splotchy areas all around the mycelial growth. It is assumed that this is normal, and may be mycelial ?piss,? or metabolic waste. It is too early to tell if it has been contaminated, but by tomorrow it should be relatively apparent whether or not it is cobweb. (Note ? Cobweb grows very fast. If only a slight amount of growth is detected over a 12-hour period, it is probably not cobweb, unless the ambient temperature is very low.)

May 30 - No clue what the contamination is, but it is a mold of some sort. The air in the container smells musty/moldy. There's a hint of mushroom in there, but mostly poo/mold. Mycelium is still growing, but with an obvious competitor it has stalled. If one were looking through the sides of the container, you would see seemingly healthy mycelium growing, but also some brown/tan colored "stuff" that looks like contamination in there as well.

-------------

This person does not know why his efforts failed. Poo was kept at a steady 170F for 1.5 hours on the dot. It may have been slightly over-moist (even after hand squeezing) before spawning, but that wouldn't cause this sort of contamination.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk cow dung failure, help requested.. [Re: Rustik]
    #1592765 - 05/30/03 01:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Your pasteurisation method sounds good. IMO, 160 is better. Dude tries not to let it go above 162, but I have seen others' post good results at 170.

You said the poo was spawned then the lid was placed on top. I feel that there should be air exchange with colonizing poo. Also, were there holes in the bottom of the container? I have found holes in the bottom as well as air being allowed to come into through top to be much better than a closed off bulk tub. It is possible that the debris was also a contributor to the problem, but dude has used dung with debris in it w/o much problem in the past. Just remove whatever you can. Also, I have found that breaking the dried dung up into a fine powder before pasteurisation helps when trying to remove the debris. I'd recommend doing this even if there is no debris. I can't say exactly what caused the failure, but with the tips I posted above, you should have a better chance. I'm sure someone else can post some other great tips to help you out as well.

Good luck!

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Bulk cow dung failure, help requested.. [Re: Rustik]
    #1592799 - 05/30/03 01:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You say that a lid was place on the container but no mention was made of provisions for air exchange. Cobweb and other competitors thrive in stale air.

Moisture content may also have been a factor, as it can be difficult to get it right (at least it was for my friend when he first started).

You might also try increasing your spawn to dung ratio. More spawn = faster colonzation = less opportunity for contams to get a foothold.

Learn from your mistakes and try again. The payoff will be worth it.

edit: fucking typos.... typing with my feet is a bitch.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Edited by dog (05/30/03 01:30 PM)

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Bulk cow dung failure, help requested.. [Re: dog]
    #1597219 - 06/01/03 12:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i am also one to second the idea that air and many holes in the cover is helpful in colonization of your container of poo. also, rhizo growth in 2 days is a good sign with an ok time. not much you can do about it now-unless cuttin it out is an option.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation